FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 50 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35581 Topics
432508 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#333269 - 04/12/07 09:01 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo [Re: shaunie]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
Honestly, if you get a TKD tattoo in Chinese, you're just going to look foolish.

It would be like getting a tattoo of a shamrock, with the words, "Vive La France" written beneath.

#333270 - 04/12/07 06:21 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo [Re: Zombie Zero]
shaunie Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Quote:

Honestly, if you get a TKD tattoo in Chinese, you're just going to look foolish.

It would be like getting a tattoo of a shamrock, with the words, "Vive La France" written beneath.

Ya thatís what I was thinking, but some guys were saying that you get it in Chinese, and every one seams to do the wall scrolls In Chinese, I just want to make shore I was thinking along the right lines before I go out and get a tattoo.

#333271 - 04/17/07 12:09 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo [Re: shaunie]
Mandolynn Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Ya thatís what I was thinking, but some guys were saying that you get it in Chinese, and every one seams to do the wall scrolls In Chinese, I just want to make shore I was thinking along the right lines before I go out and get a tattoo.

Well, not really. Before the Korean writing system was invented they used adapted Chinese characters. A lot of ceremonial documents or anything made with high honors are still sometimes opted to be written in Chinese because it is considered a sign of high education and refinement. My Dojang has a large wall scroll with the Chinese characters for Tae Kwon Do, with the Korean system smaller along side it. Also, some of our 3rd degrees have the same Chinese characters on their belts.

You really can't go wrong with getting your Tat in Korean, but anyone who can recognize the adapted Chinese characters will be familiar with the custom. Your decision between the two will probably depend on how much you want to explain, lol.

#333272 - 04/25/07 03:05 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo [Re: shaunie]
fileboy2002 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Chicago, IL
I would strongly discourage any martial artist from getting a martial arts tatoo. I would also discourage martial artists from wearing t-shirts, jackets, or other clothing indicating they are martial artists. The worst thing you can do is ANNOUCE to a prospectiuve attacker that you are a trained fighter. Even worse, there is always a chance you are going to run into some @#$% yahoo who will jump you just to prove his theory that "karate ain't @#$%."

#333273 - 05/06/07 12:01 PM Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo [Re: fileboy2002]
Underground Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:

I would strongly discourage any martial artist from getting a martial arts tatoo. I would also discourage martial artists from wearing t-shirts, jackets, or other clothing indicating they are martial artists. The worst thing you can do is ANNOUCE to a prospectiuve attacker that you are a trained fighter. Even worse, there is always a chance you are going to run into some @#$% yahoo who will jump you just to prove his theory that "karate ain't @#$%."

I fully agree. When I first started TKD, I was wearing the shirts, sweats, etc...announcing to the world that I do TKD. Then after a few months of training, I stopped buying them. I now use the shirts to work on the car in. I wear nothing in public because I do not wish to attract attention.

I have been debating on getting a yin/yang tattoo. Just the logo alone doesn't mean martial arts. Heck, most people get that one because it "looks" cool versus actually knowing the principles behind the yin/yang. Just doing the yin/yang would be a better option. Plus, get it done where you can hide it with a t-shirt. If you ever go to a professional workplace, they will not hire you if they see a tat visible on you (many have become really picky).

#333274 - 05/07/07 11:28 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo [Re: Underground]
Turner Offline

Well personally ive got a lot of tattoos including back of the neck and hands and forearms and im only 18.

So a lot of work places wont take me on because they consider it thuggish and not many people like to see tattoos on display so i suggest get one if you will but be wary of the the consequences

#333275 - 05/08/07 11:55 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo [Re: fileboy2002]
ITFJJ Offline

Loc: Montrťal
Quote:

Hmm, given the proliferation of oriental caligraphy of all kinds showing up in pop culture (tattoos of chinese horoscope, the whole Japanese car modifying craze etc) I don't think getting the Chinese or Korean characters for TKD as a tattoo is as overt a sign as you think. Likely only someone who can read the caligraphy or another practicioner will even understand it.

As for T-Shirts, jackets and the like. I do agree with the basic premise of what you are saying. I always used to think people who wore that stuff around all the time were just looking for a fight. I wear them when I am on my to or from class or working out in the gym, but then, If I'm doing my patterns in the gym, a T-shirt probably isn't what gives away that I am a martial artist. I also don't walk or ride the bus on my way to class or work, I park in the parking lot. Anyone who was going to start a fight with me in that span of time was probably going to attack anyway.

As for a TKD tattoo in general, I thought for a long time that I would go get one when I got my 1st Dan, but then once it happened, as much pride as I had in my accomplishment, it didn't seem important enough to permanently imprint on my skin. To each there own I guess.

#333276 - 05/09/07 10:08 AM Re: Tae Kwon Do Tattoo [Re: ITFJJ]
Joss Offline
Dragon

Tattooes for new and aspiring martial artists?

I think those who want to announce their new status with tatooes should get the Bubishi vital points tattooed on, where each one belongs anatomically, with Chinese lables and English subtitles (in parens).

See the second illustration on this page:

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=201

This makes a true, devil-may-care, statement that goes so well with matching screen persona such as "Bloodspray", "Deathwielder", "Killmaster", "Skullcrusher", etc, etc, etc. And think how impressed your friends will be.

This would also be very helpful to me as I am getting older and remembering detailed things like target lists is harder now.

Large print too, please.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga