FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 45 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by MattJ
10/28/10 08:51 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#430748 - 10/29/10 06:16 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: hedkikr]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Originally Posted By: hedkikr
I've been away, but had the urge to post after an incident yesterday. This has nothing to do w/ kata, but the Open Tournament mentality.

Years ago (when I competed in a few of these), I also noticed a high degree of disrespect toward the Ref's & Judges during the sparring competition. It was just short of normal for the competitor who failed to score or who had been scored upon, to complain to the Ref/make snide/under-the-breath/sarcastic comments, yell like pre-schoolers/threaten the officials/opponent and on one occasion, get into a fight w/ a member of the opponent's school.

Well, yesterday at Kubota's tournament (always a well-run event), a small group of Kempo guys led by "Master Paul" (as he called himself), became the thugs & azzwholes often seen @ Open Tournaments. Complain, bitch & cry about points, but what really took the cake was when "Master Paul" ws fighting in the Senior division. About 20 seconds after a minor face contact that he initially shrugged off, all of a sudden, he was flopping to the floor, spread eagle as if he's been decked by the Iceman. His student kept saying "Master Paul, why you so silly?" After the medic gave him an OK, he popped to his feet, winked & stuck-out his tongue. As the bout continued, he got angrier & angrier as each of his pushing side-kicks or flippy back-fists weren't scored. His students supported his protestations by berating the Ref & making comments re: favoritism. I was thinking, "Idiot, read the rules."

Then it really got ugly when he lost. As a big intimidating guy, he got in everybody's face, including someone in the stands. I honestly thought that there would be a brawl, but the intervention of the campus security & maybe the number of karate-ka gathering close kept him flapping his jaw & not swinging his fists.

Now, this isn't an indictment of Kempo, but it was 5 yrs ago that this same thing happened (w/ another Kempo group). The chief instructor reprimanded his competitor (an instructor) & apologized, but not before the instructor threw-out a few F-bombs & threats.

Where do these idiots come-off acting w/ such a high degree of disrespect & contempt in some one else's 'house'. How do their mouths & attitudes make-up for their lack of skill? Where does the arrogance come from? I think it was lucky for those punks to remain in jibber-jabber mode rather than throwing blows because I know that every -one was sick of their prolonged diatribes & wanted an excuse to do damage.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant.

Unbelievable to say the least. I thought martial arts were suppose to be about respect, honor and discipline but this certainly doesn't reflect that. What a poor example for his students. And to think with the domino effect what they one day may teach others. This has no place in martial arts. Another self serving idiot. Another black eye to martial arts.

As I said above, I have limited experience with tournaments and to be honest I really did not care if I went or not. Most of the stuff to be honest was bogus and people just looking for medals and trophies. To me that is not martial arts that is commercialization. Competing for competing purposes is one thing because I do believe competing can make you better but in these atmospheres I think that is lost. And for the people running it, it is nothing more then making money; again wrong.

Perhaps I'm not the norm thinking training is about making your better and not adorning yourself with medals and trophies.

#430749 - 10/29/10 11:21 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: Dereck]
Kimo2007 Offline
Veteran

In my experience there has always been what MA is supposed to be and what it is, and what it is, is based on an under current of violence. We are all happy to get along and perform with respect and honor, as long as we all respect who the Alpha dog is.

It's often subtle, but that tension was always there when I was competing, and it's still there even today.

I've seen most tournaments go just fine, with everyone competing and behaving just fine, like we would hope. But I've also seen plenty of garbage go down as well.

This "Master Paul" story sounds more psychological than anything else. I imagine alone without his entourage he gets run out of the tournament as a statistic. It's just gamesmanship of a sport and why the sport has such limited appeal.

Stick Master Paul in an Octagon, see how it works out for him.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga