FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 11
trevek 6
cxt 6
JKogas 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 01:18 PM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432448 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#332417 - 05/01/07 12:18 AM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: hedkikr]
Aeras Offline

Loc: Colorado
Quote:

"My name is Joe Krotty & I train @ the Maku-do Temple School. My style is Angry Dwarf system & my sifu is Kawi Chaing Schwartz. I would like to perform the Spitting Cobra form. May I continue sir?".

Oh my god i almsot fell over laughing I love it. I really want to learn the angry dwarf system just on principle. "oh your a martial artist? What style do you do?" Deadpan, "Angry Dwarf".

I want to announce myself in this manner everywhere I go now. "Welcome to McDonalds can I take your order?". "Yes My name is Elmer Wrinkly from Master Don Gefunk's School of ass-kickery. Proficient in the flying minja and terrorizing badger styles. Today I would like to perform the jumping can-opener along with the sneaking hamster form. And, also may I have a cheeseburger?"

This is how they sound though, is it not? At the first tournament I judged, when I was a teen, a kid did this. I was so confused by the life story screamed in my face I missed the first half of his form. I love it, thanks for the laugh man I needed that.

#332418 - 05/01/07 07:46 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: Aeras]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
Griffy & Aeras...

You guys really cracked me up

You know, it wouldn't be funny if it weren't so true. Wrist is completely right about ignorance of the kata (dance routine).

Wouldn't it be funny to finish your kata & announce that you made a big mistake. Then challenge the judges to point it out & state the correction. Ooooooh...

#430416 - 10/11/10 02:07 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: GriffyGriff]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

I've been away, but had the urge to post after an incident yesterday. This has nothing to do w/ kata, but the Open Tournament mentality.

Years ago (when I competed in a few of these), I also noticed a high degree of disrespect toward the Ref's & Judges during the sparring competition. It was just short of normal for the competitor who failed to score or who had been scored upon, to complain to the Ref/make snide/under-the-breath/sarcastic comments, yell like pre-schoolers/threaten the officials/opponent and on one occasion, get into a fight w/ a member of the opponent's school.

Well, yesterday at Kubota's tournament (always a well-run event), a small group of Kempo guys led by "Master Paul" (as he called himself), became the thugs & azzwholes often seen @ Open Tournaments. Complain, bitch & cry about points, but what really took the cake was when "Master Paul" ws fighting in the Senior division. About 20 seconds after a minor face contact that he initially shrugged off, all of a sudden, he was flopping to the floor, spread eagle as if he's been decked by the Iceman. His student kept saying "Master Paul, why you so silly?" After the medic gave him an OK, he popped to his feet, winked & stuck-out his tongue. As the bout continued, he got angrier & angrier as each of his pushing side-kicks or flippy back-fists weren't scored. His students supported his protestations by berating the Ref & making comments re: favoritism. I was thinking, "Idiot, read the rules."

Then it really got ugly when he lost. As a big intimidating guy, he got in everybody's face, including someone in the stands. I honestly thought that there would be a brawl, but the intervention of the campus security & maybe the number of karate-ka gathering close kept him flapping his jaw & not swinging his fists.

Now, this isn't an indictment of Kempo, but it was 5 yrs ago that this same thing happened (w/ another Kempo group). The chief instructor reprimanded his competitor (an instructor) & apologized, but not before the instructor threw-out a few F-bombs & threats.

Where do these idiots come-off acting w/ such a high degree of disrespect & contempt in some one else's 'house'. How do their mouths & attitudes make-up for their lack of skill? Where does the arrogance come from? I think it was lucky for those punks to remain in jibber-jabber mode rather than throwing blows because I know that every -one was sick of their prolonged diatribes & wanted an excuse to do damage.

Thanks for the opportunity to rant.

#430422 - 10/11/10 07:32 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: GriffyGriff]
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I have heard tales of the fearsome Angry Dwarf school but never believed it....

#430429 - 10/12/10 12:48 AM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: Kathryn]
Mark Jordan Offline

Loc: Burbank, California
LOL! This one really cracked me up. I, too, heard of this Angry Dwarf school but never believed it was real. And hedkikr suggestion to "finish your kata & announce that you made a big mistake. Then challenge the judges to point it out & state the correction." This gave me a good laugh. Oooh, I couldn't wait to see the judges reaction.

#430431 - 10/12/10 01:25 AM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: Mark Jordan]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

I apologize for the confusion. The original thread was posted in 2007 & I've been gone for a few years. I didn't want to start a new thread to rant so I hijacked one of my old ones.

Does any one know of this "master paul", possibly from So. Cal. US.

#430440 - 10/13/10 02:12 AM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: hedkikr]
ninpopo Offline

Loc: Africa *drums starts playing i...
Omfw, Angry dwarf wtf hahaha

#430457 - 10/14/10 07:44 AM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: ninpopo]
Phenix_Rider Offline

LOL- "Angry Dwarf" reminds me of a few kids at my (new) school. One 9 y/o in particular always tries to be a little tough guy.

We've had tournament practice the last few weeks, for the WTSDA regionals coming up. Never having competed in a tournament, I tend to say as little as possible and keep my forms realistic. I've been "judging" the kids forms, trying to get them to speak up and clean it up. I've never heard so many "with your permission"s and "judges"s in my life. I try to tell them it should only be three sentences, and only loud enough to be heard over the background noise. Your name, your school, your form. "Judges, my name is XXXXX. I train at XXXXX." And then some version of "With your permission, I will perform XXXXX" or, "My form is" or, "Please allow me to present," etc. Poor kids always end up doubling up on sections of the report, and leaving parts out. LOL

#430461 - 10/14/10 03:25 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: Phenix_Rider]
Shi Ronglang Offline
石榮狼

Loc: Samarobriva, Gallia
Not sure if that's the norm in other countries too, but in every kungfu competition I've seen so far, introduction aren't given by the competitor himself. The judges are provided beforehand with a full list of competitors with their names and styles; competitors are then called in turn by their name, with their style being announced in the same way. The competitor stands until a gesture from the judges indicates he can start, once he's done with his form he salutes and waits in the same position for his score to be announced - then salutes again and leaves the mat.

Concerning incompetence on the part of the judges, I've seen it occasionally but to their credit I must say that a friend and I, a couple of years ago, where barred at the last moment from competing as we were told none of the judges present were qualified to evaluate our particular styles (xingyi-quan and baji-quan). It was a rather unpleasant surprise, but I have to salute their honesty.

I have to say, however, that I have indeed seen some judges dragging a competitor's score down in order to settle a score with the said competitor's teacher.
Cheap. frown

#430747 - 10/29/10 06:04 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: Shi Ronglang]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I know, an older thread but I had to read this, the "angry" part caught my attention especially reading the original post. grin

I've had very limited tournaments experience. The ones I did were Taekwondo based with our circle of schools so really no need to announce anything. And I did attend a huge one with multiple arts, that including sparring and fighting from different arts, forms/katas/patterns and weapons. It was quite interesting to see for the first time. Because of our focus I didn't get to see much especially since it was in a hotel and several large conference rooms were being occupied for different things. Interesting though.

To be honest, I think the reason it was initially done was self serving. It was to make who ever they were "seem" more then what they were especially the sifu. To make them stand out more so then others. To make it "seem" they were more disciplined and more cultured. I personally would rather the person's actions speak louder then their words. From just your post obviously his vocalization stood out more then their performance and would almost guarantee to the judges that it did for them as well.

Was a good chuckle though to read.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga