FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Victor Smith 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#332407 - 04/03/07 11:51 AM Angry Intro's
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
Years ago (the '80's), I attended my 1st "Open" tournament (as opposed to invitational). I'm a Japanese stylist so this was a major culture shock. No sea of white Gi - instead, a rainbow of gi (including stars-n-stripes), kung-fu uniforms, TKD dobok, sweat pants & T-shirt combo's...you name it.

Anyway, as I waited to perform my kata, I heard the competitor shouting @ the 5 judges (all seated in a line in front), "My name is Joe Krotty & I train @ the Maku-do Temple School. My style is Angry Dwarf system & my sifu is Kawi Chaing Schwartz. I would like to perform the Spitting Cobra form. May I continue sir?".

The head judge nods his head & Joe Krotty does his form. I'm thinking, "Why the autobiography? I never seen this done in Japan. You just announce your kata & do it."

Question: Why all the info? Why the request to continue?

Thanks

#332408 - 04/03/07 01:23 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: hedkikr]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Hedkikr:

Why the goofy intro's.... ?

To give the judges time to finish their cups of coffee (or whatever is in those huge unmarked thermos)
write down their grocery lists,
finish the Times Crossword silly!!!

Why announce ~my~ (generic) lineage....

Give them time to don their rain gear (ie knowing they yell.. a lot & spit considerably while doing so...) possibly?

Give them the opportunity to ~wake up~, after the long, sleepless night due to allergies/sinus infections (whatever)?

A good and fascinating question, my hypothesis.... stupid, goofy melodrama of the highest order possible. (How tough could it be to figure out who you were wearing a billboard uniform like that, patches of title, rank, school & personal name emblazoned in 5" red sequins like that...)

I know what he/she is ~gonna do~, I just don't want to be forced to watch em do it!

Good question....
Jeff

#332409 - 04/03/07 02:06 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: hedkikr]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
While I do not know exactly why that became the standard intro, I can verify that when I did open tourneys in the 1980's and 90's, that was exactly how I was taught to address the judges.

I always thought it was dumb to announce your school and instructor, too. Many judges who may have given you a fair score would hear you're from Master XYZ's school, and think "Oh! I hate that ba$tard! I'm going to low-ball his student's score here! TEE HEE!" Politics.

Like you said, just announce the kata and go.

#332410 - 04/03/07 02:24 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: hedkikr]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
I've always introduced myself, told what style of MA and my form then ask permission to start. We were told asking permission to start gives the judges time to pay attention to you. If they have a problem (ie the score keeper can't add or someone diverts their attention for some reason) they can ask you to not start yet so they can see the whole form. I'll agree that if someone is sitting in the judges seat they shouldn't be bothered but it happens. But yeah I've never understood why you had to announce your school and your instructor. Why don't they just make the intro a little longer by having them announce the date they started their MA, their current rank, when their next test is and their parent's name? Well hey to each their own, right?

Casey

#332411 - 04/03/07 02:49 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: hedkikr]
jliu Offline

Loc: Montville, NJ, USA
angry dwarf system? sounds scary.

i think some people to try to boost their scores by being more personable...

they way i've always done it is name, style, kata. and in a respectable tone.

#332412 - 04/03/07 09:31 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: MattJ]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
The "laundry list" intros that are used at "open" tournaments is done because the judges usually don't have a clue about what kata is being done or whether it's being done correctly or not. They MIGHT have one judge that knows kata (on a good day) and everybody else is guessing... and when they announce the winner, they have an intro to use ... Winner is Joe Krotty, doing the Short people's form of the Dwarf Ninja Style....

...then the audience can say... "Oh, is that what he was doing???"

I did a weapons form at a tournament a few years ago "formal presentation"... not ONE of the judges had a clue what that was, and none of them knew the kata or whether or not I was doing it correctly.

Like the "Field of Dreams" scenario... "I was from Iowa and they had once heard of Iowa"...

About 2/3 of the kata judges don't know the kata they're judging, so they don't have a clue whether the movements are correct, the kiai is in the right place, or the target areas struck are correct... but, what the hell, if they twirl their stick with blinding speed, scream several times, and jump around looking mean it "looks" like a kata... kinda-sorta...

#332413 - 04/03/07 10:00 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: wristtwister]
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
I judge in kata competitions.

I have no interest in your name. If I called your name and you stood up, I'm presuming it's you.

I don't care what your school is, who taught you, or who taught him.

I don't care what style you do.

Just stand up, stae your kata, and begin.

#332414 - 04/30/07 01:02 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: hedkikr]
Curly Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO
Yeah I went to a tourny just a couple weeks ago (just to watch), and thought it was funny the way they announced their information. I encountered the exact same thing as you did. They were all serious as if on a mission or something.

I thought it was pretty cheesy myself. Is this like what they require now-adays or what? I'd just rather say my name and kata and start to be honest...

#332415 - 04/30/07 02:33 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: hedkikr]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
maybe some "instructors" want credit for medal winners, as a kind of advertisement for the onlookers?? anything more from me when i compete other then the name of the kata, then the kata and i would get kicked out most likely. oh dramatics. but im sure that they are much more "intense" then i.

yours in life

#332416 - 04/30/07 04:42 PM Re: Angry Intro's [Re: hedkikr]
GriffyGriff Offline
Good Egg,

Loc: Earth
Hi hedkikr,
I have not seen this done in the UK. Maybe they were a bit taken aback, being the only Angry Dwarfs there and felt the need to justify themselves or they were trying to win empathy points? Either way, this sounds like fun!

Why don't you have a go at doing something similar at you next tournament and let us know the outcome?

"Hello My name is xxxxx and I am a Leo who likes puppies and rainbows and would like to make the world a better place" etc.

Sounds a lot better than:

"Hello My name is xxxxx, I like fires, knives and I am usually electronically tagged" etc..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga