FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#330684 - 05/27/07 06:58 PM Re: POLL: Styles of Ju Jutsu Represented on FA [Re: Prizewriter]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Quote:

For what it's worth, my Judo experience far outweighs my Ju Jutsu experience (which was mostly with the WJJF). I find Judo far more engaging as an art than the Ju Jutsu I have studied. Ditto my limited experience (all two classes of it!) with BJJ, I consdier BJJ a far more engaging form of JJ than anything I did with the WJJF.

Prize,
you're all over the board here. If you're doing Judo, you're doing jujutsu... for it is comprised of a combination of Kito Ryu and Tenshin Shinyo Ryu, which is in itself a combination of Yoshin Ryu and Shinno Shindo Ryu. It now has rules that preclude a lot of the more dangerous techniques, but it's still the same thing without the sting.

I didn't punch in the poll, more because there isn't a real place for the "other"... as Judo is actually jujutsu, and Brazilian Jujutsu is actually a Judo-based art. You seem to think you can only train one style of jujutsu, but I've done Judo for almost 45 years, and studied Aikido 23 years, and also done Hakko Ryu, Goshin Budo, Kito Ryu, Daito Ryu... where's the button for that? Many of the karate styles I've studied had jujutsu techniques in them that were clearly jujutsu, and not karate, but taught in the karate venue rather than as Jujutsu.

My point is that your almost have to have a "fill in the blank" type of poll if you're going to make a style comparison, and be able to include more than one style or system. Clearly Judo and Aikido use different mechanisms for throws, and someone like me would use whichever tended to lend itself to the attack, so it's a difficult question to ask "what's your major style?"

Experience is experience... and many of the jujutsu styles I've studied were done in karate schools or Aikido schools where there was a "secondary class" in that particular discipline, or done as part of the karate study, so while the "classical schools" might be hidden, they aren't as far gone as you seem to think. There are a lot of jujutsu teachers out there, many of them only teaching a few students "on the side" while practicing other arts.

Jujutsu is a tough art, and not for the faint of heart. Unlike a lot of combat arts where you get padded up and fight, jujutsu is fought between you and the ground in most cases, or in the case of armlocks, etc. between you and your ability to endure pain. You'll seldom find large classes of jujutsu students because it hurts to practice... but the classes and teachers are out there... you just have to look around to find them.

#330685 - 05/28/07 06:41 AM Re: POLL: Styles of Ju Jutsu Represented on FA [Re: wristtwister]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

I have no doubt that there are. But with my life and martial arts at the moment, finding a good JJ teacher isn't something I am interested in at present.

Am sure there are people who have studied more than one art, and again, this is something that perhaps should be factored in to the poll.

BUt as it stands, I can't change the poll. And this was either my first or second attempt at creating a poll (can't remember which), so it was all a bit new to me.

It is what it is though.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga