FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#330615 - 03/25/07 01:40 AM Fa real?
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Anyone ever notice that the longer ago and less verifiable a martial arts story is, the more unbelievable and incredible it sounds? why is that?

Is that Human nature? or is it a MA thing?

#330616 - 03/25/07 09:38 AM Re: Fa real? [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
One of my early translations of a Dim Mak book (circa 1950's) told of the development of Dim Mak that included a doctor's name who was supposed to have done a procedure where he swapped the hearts of two men who were both ill and made them well. As this supposedly occurred during the reign of the "Yellow Emperor", it's a bit suspect...

That kinda what you meant, Ed???

#330617 - 03/25/07 11:12 AM Re: Fa real? [Re: wristtwister]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Wristtwister:

Nice!!!!

If you or I were not THERE at the time, the story(ies) might get twisted, enlarged, increased!

Different life experiences will provide different answers to the proverbial elephant, depending upon where one saw it from

It is my opinion, I'm sticking to it....
Jeff

#330618 - 03/25/07 11:52 AM Re: Fa real? [Re: Ed_Morris]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Nah, it's definitlely human nature. Who remembers hearing their dad talk about walking to school uphill both ways in 10 feet of snow with no coat, attacked by dogs and wolves, etc.

#330619 - 03/25/07 12:23 PM Re: Fa real? [Re: Ed_Morris]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Version A;

I went to the bar, got drunk, and hit the waiter. Then the bouncers threw me out. I threw up and fell asleep on the bench outside the bar.

Version B;
I accompanied some friends to the bar, when suddenly, the waiter assaulted one of my friends because he refused to give tips, and as the punch came, I parried it away from my friend's face into the concrete wall, and roundhouse kicked him in the face sending him flying through a window. Then some more waiters came, and I proceeded to judo-toss one over the bar, smash one's face into the wall, groin kick one and smash a chair over his head, and break the finger and wrists of the last one with a aikido wristlock. I then left a big cheque with my signed name and told the bartender to decide how much he wanted to be paid.

I wonder which one people would like to spend 5 minutes of their lives listening to.

-Taison out

#330620 - 04/07/07 02:40 PM Re: Fa real? [Re: Ed_Morris]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
It transcends all boundries.

Know what the difference is between a fairy tale and sea story?

A fairy tale starts "Once upon a time..."
A sea story starts "Gather 'round boy's, This ain't no sH*T..."

It's always been said that you can tell when a diver is lieing. How? His lips are moving

The martial arts corolloray of that is suredly "How do you know when a soke/Great Grand Master is lieing??

Page

#330621 - 04/07/07 04:32 PM Re: Fa real? [Re: BuDoc]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

"How do you know when a soke/Great Grand Master is lieing??

I don't even need to see the lips move....I just look at the patch he's wearing that announces his title.

(has ANYONE EVER been in a class where it wasn't clear who the sensei was? why do some wear title patches on their Gi like some 1950's gas station attendant?)

#330622 - 04/08/07 01:41 PM Re: Fa real? [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline

Ed,
Honest to God, I went to a seminar one time where the "Sensei" showed up wearing a gold-lemay gi, wearing a gold belt. He wanted to fight with me because I kept laughing at him... true story.

"The master" may have been a shodan once, but I doubt it... his seminar was more basic than most of the classes I've attended.

#330623 - 04/08/07 01:52 PM Re: Fa real? [Re: wristtwister]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Wristtwister,

Have you ever been to a seminar where you didn't have to guess who the sensei was? Like he looks perfectly normal but you can almost sense an aura around him, or some type of intense focus in his eyes.

Only experienced that once, Tom Sotis of AMOK! came to Thailand to hold a seminar in Bangkok Fight Club when it was located on 31st floor in the old locale. That man, you could almost sense something about him. Like a deterrence.

I didn't partake in the seminar, it was my cousin but I asked my cousin who that person was and he said it was the founder 'dude'.

WT, since your experience is far longer to me, can you share some stories of 'normal' looking senseis that you've met but showed something amazing?

-Taison out

#330624 - 04/08/07 04:06 PM Re: Fa real? [Re: Taison]
wristtwister Offline

Taison,
Shogo Kuniba comes to mind as one of those "normal looking guys" who simply had an aura about him. Kuniba Sensei was slim, moved very smoothly, and always smiling, and when training with him, he always looked like what he was doing was completely effortless.

He was such a nice guy to be around, but had some of the deadliest skills I've seen. He was a "regular" at one of our organizations' summer camp, and while you might not recognize him in street clothes, it didn't take long to see the special qualities he had, both in the dojo and outside.

He was a really cool dude, and I learned a lot in a short time from him... which is also the mark of a good teacher.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga