FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#330589 - 03/25/07 12:52 AM This afternoon fighting fun.
Shorinjiryumike Offline

These are from a Kohaku tournament this afternoon. Strictly no head contact and first good hit in. I am the one in the black shield. First time fighting in a while. ( injured hand) We normally fight head contact, and continuous fighting, this time we didn't, so the guards admittedly are a little lax. Feel free to comment.

It was an accident!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3291181798082837517&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4296152066469348340&hl=en

#330590 - 03/25/07 01:02 AM Re: This afternoon fighting fun. [Re: Shorinjiryumike]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

It was an accident!

thought you said there was no head contact. lol

#330591 - 03/25/07 11:52 AM Re: This afternoon fighting fun. [Re: Shorinjiryumike]
shadowkahn Offline
anti-stupid crusader

Quote:

Feel free to comment.

You're not half bad. Don't spin kick. Your opponent was slow, otherwise every time you spun he had a nice opportunity to rush you and there wouldn't be a thing you could do about it. In fact, don't kick at all unless it's low (knee or below) (and if that's against the rules in the fight, then don't kick at all)- - look how many times you guys grabbed each other's leg off of a kick. Kicks are SLOW and it's way too easy for an opponent to grab your leg if you kick that high. Concentrate on your hands. They're faster and harder to stop, and if your opponent does manage to grab one, you can knock him off balance by rushing him. Any time your foot comes off the ground, you have lost balance, and the unbalanced one is at a disadvantage.

#330592 - 03/25/07 01:13 PM Re: This afternoon fighting fun. [Re: shadowkahn]
Shorinjiryumike Offline

Thanx for the advice. I thought did Ok for an almost 40 year old who hadn't fought in a year due to hand injuries.

#330593 - 03/25/07 01:29 PM Re: This afternoon fighting fun. [Re: Shorinjiryumike]
shadowkahn Offline
anti-stupid crusader

Quote:

Thanx for the advice. I thought did Ok for an almost 40 year old who hadn't fought in a year due to hand injuries.

Oh, almost 40. Gee, you're so ancient

Yeah, I think you did OK too. You were certainly better than the guys you were up against.

#330594 - 03/25/07 01:39 PM Re: This afternoon fighting fun. [Re: shadowkahn]
AkhilleusWeeps Offline

Loc: Tx
If your hands are healed, I saw alot of opportunities to enter while opponents were kicking with their guards down, hitting the solar plexus/stomach area would have been easy or will be once you get your timing/cardio back up.

Good power on some of those kicks..... minus the groin shot. =P

Edit***

About being older....even though some of the older cats in my dojo are about the same weight/height as some of us younger guys they seem to always have a little more power/weight behind strikes. I usually call it jack hammer strength because it seems to come from manual labor. It's functional muscle. I guess what I'm saying is even though you are older it shouldn't be hold you back one bit, use what you have to your advantage and work on those hand strikes! Nothings more awsome than landing a hit to the solar plexus through a bogu and having your partner fall to his knee's.

Edited by AkhilleusWeeps (03/25/07 01:49 PM)

#330595 - 03/25/07 01:43 PM Re: This afternoon fighting fun. [Re: AkhilleusWeeps]
Shorinjiryumike Offline

It is always easier from the outside looking in. Good observation though. Thank You

#330596 - 03/25/07 03:06 PM Re: This afternoon fighting fun. [Re: Shorinjiryumike]
shadowkahn Offline
anti-stupid crusader

Quote:

It is always easier from the outside looking in. Good observation though. Thank You

I'm getting the impression you don't want anyone to critique your performance. If so, perhaps you should consider for next time not including the remark "feel free to comment."

#330597 - 03/25/07 03:24 PM Re: This afternoon fighting fun. [Re: shadowkahn]
AkhilleusWeeps Offline

Loc: Tx
Aw, well that's okay if he's a little self conciouse about his performence. Not to worry though I'll have a clip of my self soon and he can judge away at my inadequacies.

On a side note, I liked that headgear. I'm wondering if those are the same as those worn in Kudo? Where are they from Mike?

#330598 - 03/25/07 05:11 PM Re: This afternoon fighting fun. [Re: shadowkahn]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Quote:

Feel free to comment.

You're not half bad. Don't spin kick. Your opponent was slow, otherwise every time you spun he had a nice opportunity to rush you and there wouldn't be a thing you could do about it. In fact, don't kick at all unless it's low (knee or below) (and if that's against the rules in the fight, then don't kick at all)- - look how many times you guys grabbed each other's leg off of a kick. Kicks are SLOW and it's way too easy for an opponent to grab your leg if you kick that high. Concentrate on your hands. They're faster and harder to stop, and if your opponent does manage to grab one, you can knock him off balance by rushing him. Any time your foot comes off the ground, you have lost balance, and the unbalanced one is at a disadvantage.

this wasn't self defence training, this was moderate contact training of his art, and as such he was attempting to utilise techniques he has been taught. Learning comes from application, and it can be tremendously satisfying and fun if a nice kick lands home- you think they were kicking a lot, try Savate! now thats a foot happy kickathon .

observation 1. In the first clip, was your oponent jumping up and down to try ang 'jiggle' his nards down from where you kicked them? If so, did you get any feedback on where they ended up after the kick

observation 2. in the second clip at 1 min 44 you land a sweet reverse punch that put your oponent on his butt, yet never got given the score. you was robbed!

looked like a lot of fun, wish I was as light on my feet at 32 as you are at 40

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga