FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu's double Tan Sau motion
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:08 AM
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35592 Topics
432527 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#330346 - 03/23/07 01:41 AM bad eyes, damned computer
alphawolf Offline

Well i haven't gone for a eye test in years now, but my eyesight used to be 20/20 5 or 6 years ago. I have been working as an I.T since then ( i used to be a broker ) and my vision has gone down to 20/100 and its absolutely devastating. I never knew my vision was this bad, i knew it was worse but not THAT bad. It is 100% from the use of the computer 7-8 hours a day, and i don't know what to do. Does anyone know if nearsightedness is self-correcting if given time? I will ask my doctor when i get a chance but was just wondering in advance.

#330347 - 03/23/07 11:31 AM Re: bad eyes, damned computer [Re: alphawolf]
Shadowtitan Offline

Loc: UK
I dont think it is...if you damage your eyes i dont think they will heal in time, just like if i cut my ear off i dont expect it to grown back.

#330348 - 03/23/07 11:34 AM Re: bad eyes, damned computer [Re: alphawolf]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
Like you, I used to have perfect vision. But constant computer use wore my eyesight down. Luckily, I caught it in time that it didn't get bad. I'm farsighted with an astigmatism, and that was giving me headaches.

I only wear glasses when I'm reading or working at the computer (read: constantly)

You need to get lenses with an anti-glare coating. They're perfect for working at the computer.

#330349 - 03/23/07 05:25 PM Re: bad eyes, damned computer [Re: Zombie Zero]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I have a hereditary eye disease known as "Horse Eye Syndrome" that with computer use made it worse. This is where your eyes both move outwards and because you are trying to focus so hard on what is in front of you that you get extreme headaches and nausea. To compound this I also have an astigmatism and I have dry eyes. A natural eye will produce tears of 2 mm to provide moisture whereas my eyes produce less then 0.50 mm. Without adding artificial tears through the day my eyes will actually stick to my eyelids. I have great coverage through my work for prescriptions but unfortunately these are over the counter and there is nothing better for myself. So I'm stuck spending money ever two weeks on more eye drops

Any ways I had eye surgery many years back where they remove your eyes from the sockets, cut the muscles, reposition the eyes and then put them back in your head. Unfortunately they did not tell me that this would also reduce my eye sight which it did. After several years in 2002 I had PRK laser eye surgery on "one" eye and now I don't have to wear glasses. One eye sees near and the other sees far so I now have a balance. Unfortunately this last year I've been experience focusing and slight headaches when extended use on the computer. Since the major operation to reposition the eyes, and then the laser surgery, I have to see my eye surgeon once a year where I get checked. Next appointment is in September.

Computers are a part of my work and in these days they are a must. It is unfortunate that many of us have eye problems due to them. Having dry eyes doesn't help much either!

#330350 - 03/26/07 10:08 AM Re: bad eyes, damned computer [Re: alphawolf]
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
I was born with bad eyes to the extent that I've had surgery twice (I think it's the same operation that Dereck described above) and at various times have had a lazy eye and double vision, been long sighted and short sighted, and currently have a partially detached retina, short sightedness and a partial cataract in one eye and the other perfectly fine. I recommend doing some eye exercises, as they have helped in a small way.

War. It's fan-tastic!

#330351 - 03/26/07 10:11 AM Re: bad eyes, damned computer [Re: Dereck]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
That is the most frightful thing I've ever heard!!

Quote:

Any ways I had eye surgery many years back where they remove your eyes from the sockets, cut the muscles, reposition the eyes and then put them back in your head.

#330352 - 03/26/07 10:46 AM Re: bad eyes, damned computer [Re: Dereck]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Without adding artificial tears through the day my eyes will actually stick to my eyelids.

My daughter uses artificial tears quite often. They don't work that well. She thought that if she used them often enough she'd get a car for her birthday. Didn't happen.

#330353 - 03/26/07 01:15 PM Re: bad eyes, damned computer [Re: oldman]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

#330354 - 03/26/07 01:41 PM Re: bad eyes, damned computer [Re: Dereck]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Dereck, no offense man, I love you like a brother, but I need to get somethings straight here. . .

Are you human?!?!

ACL surgery, eye surgery, neck damage, knee damage, back damage. . yikes! What keeps you alive?!

Seriously, underneath all those tissue, you have to either have adamantium coated bones, or an endo-skeleton like the terminator.

Or maybe you have the same power like wolverine? Quick healing?

-Taison out

#330355 - 03/26/07 02:47 PM Re: bad eyes, damned computer [Re: Taison]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North

Accident prone, unlucky, bad genes, nothing more. Just think that when I'm in my old age ... I'm going to hurt and hurt bad.

At the rate I'm going, either I'll expire soon or injury myself more. Somethings I can't do anything about the others I just play too rough. Nobody said I was bright.

#330356 - 03/26/07 11:13 PM Re: bad eyes, damned computer [Re: Dereck]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga