FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#328809 - 03/19/07 06:16 AM Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi [Re: Koryu Uchinadi]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

1. Ti'gwa: The plebeian form of percussive impact [referred to as "Te" or "Di"] introduced to Okinawa from the old Kingdom of Siam during its early period of inter-cultural commerce.

Woo, woo, woo... hold there. STOP! Time-out. Pause. Time lapse. Whatever, just hold right there.

Kingdom of Siam? What year are you talking about? I hope you are talking about the early 1550's because that's where my current studies are linked with the Japanese.

Basically, during the time when Thailand was still under Burmese occupation our king, Naresuan the great, had a duke who was of Japanese samurai lineage from what they presumed was an island off Japan.

During the war between Burma and Siam, King Naresuan's personal bodyguards was a regime of well-trained samurais that served him until his death. King Ekatotsaroth was a patriot, and believed there was no need for the Samurais to uphold their oath to protect him, and thus they went back to their island nation.

Now there might be a link between 'Te' and 'Pahuyuth' from that era.

Can you give me some more info concerning this info;
Quote:

The plebeian form of percussive impact [referred to as "Te" or "Di"] introduced to Okinawa from the old Kingdom of Siam

Whatever info you have would be appreciated.

My studies are like pieces of jigsaw that I seriously need to put them together. Who knows, Karate might be a sibling to Muay Thai if what you say is true.

That island nation I mentioned earlier was never revealed but unlike most historians, I don't think it is Japan. My guess would be Ryukyu island but I'm not sure. Actually it's just a guess not based on any facts.

Anyway, thanks again McCarthy Sensei.

-Taison out

#328810 - 03/19/07 07:10 PM Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi [Re: Taison]
Koryu Uchinadi Offline
Tanmei

Loc: Brisbane Australia
Hi folks,

Thanks for the encouraging comments...much appreciated.

Rather than more shameless plugs ...please visit the website for additional info on my work --- http://www.koryu-uchinadi.com/

The Ryukyu Kingdom enjoyed hugly profitable commerce with China and SE Asia for centuries.Their symbiotic liaison with China was the impetus from which the tiny island kingdom first rose to prominence. In fact, their liaison with China and the commodities of its silk-road provided an incredibly prosperous commerce with Korea, Japan, the Kingdom of Siam and Southeast Asia. From the late 14th until the beginning of the 17th century the Ryukyu Kingdom became so prosperous as a re-shipping seaport that it became known as `Treasure Island'.

"It is noteworthy that songs, dances, and festival sports incorporated many elements which came from overseas in the high days of Chuzan trade in the Eastern Sea; boxing (karate) in which both hands and feet are used had come from Indo-China or Siam; "dragon-boat" racing from South China; the use of teeterboards from Korea; and wrestling from Japan." p217 "Okinawa" An Island People ... George Kerr

...and of the early popularity of Siamese "boxing"..

Well trained in the use of his fists, feet, knees and elbows, a commoner named Khanomtom defeated ten Burmese boxers in succession in 1767 and was highly commended by the Burmese King. After expelling the Burmese aggressors in late 1767, King Phraya Taksin spared no efforts in promoting the art of hand to hand fighting. http://www.singto.co.uk/History/History.htm

BTW, love Eddie Bravo's guard work...

Tim san, look forward to seeing you soon at SENI

Patrick McCarthy
Hanshi 8th Dan
International Ryukyu Karate Research Society
www.koryu-uchinadi.com
A link to the past is your bridge to the future
Life isn't about finding yourself -- it's about creating yourself. - GBS

#328811 - 03/19/07 10:10 PM Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi [Re: Koryu Uchinadi]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

...but how does all that tie into your music career?
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mccarthy

kidding. If I ever show up at a seminar of yours, I'm not volunteering as uke.

#328812 - 03/19/07 11:53 PM Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi [Re: Ed_Morris]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Naw, Pat's really gentle. I remember putting on my white belt and going to a seminar at Fortitude Valley when Pat's teacher, Master Kinjo, was visiting. I was Pat's throwing dummy... er... uke for all the nage waza that he showed.

#328813 - 03/20/07 01:11 AM Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi [Re: Koryu Uchinadi]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Thanks for the info sensei.

This made my jigzaw a little less challenging.

-Taison out

#328814 - 03/20/07 08:07 AM Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi [Re: Ed_Morris]
Toudiyama Offline

Loc: Zaandam, Netherlands
Quote:

...but how does all that tie into your music career?
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mccarthy

kidding. If I ever show up at a seminar of yours, I'm not volunteering as uke.

I will, No better way of learning "First Hand" from the master
McCarthy Sensei will be in my country in May, and I will be attending at least 1 day
As I was having a sebatical of a couple of years, I missed out on previous seminars exept for the first one ( the one where the dutch people didn't really get the pun joke about the scottish karate master)

1 Question McCarthy Sensi, I do not see any dutch instructors on your site, however there now is a dutch represntation of KU, should the list of instructors be updated or are there no dutch people full flethed Instructor yet?

#328815 - 03/20/07 06:32 PM Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi [Re: eyrie]
Koryu Uchinadi Offline
Tanmei

Iggy....is that u?

Quote:

Naw, Pat's really gentle. I remember putting on my white belt and going to a seminar at Fortitude Valley when Pat's teacher, Master Kinjo, was visiting. I was Pat's throwing dummy... er... uke for all the nage waza that he showed.

Patrick McCarthy
Hanshi 8th Dan
www.koryu-uchinadi.com

#328816 - 03/20/07 06:34 PM Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi [Re: Koryu Uchinadi]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
It is...

Check your PM.

#328817 - 03/20/07 06:46 PM Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi [Re: Toudiyama]
Koryu Uchinadi Offline
Tanmei

Hi Toudiyama,

Bert Mollen, Huub Meijer and Jan Kraayvanger have been attending my seminars since Harry de Spa first brought me to Holland in 1995. Their base style is Wado but they've collectively got a wide range of experiences and have been diligently making a transition over to KU these past few years. Presently they represent my interests in the Netherlands and are working towards obtaining full accreditation as qualified KU instructors.

I hope you'll support them and I hope I get the chance to meet you during my forthcoming visit. Please introduce yourself to me.

Quote:

Question McCarthy Sensi, I do not see any dutch instructors on your site, however there now is a dutch represntation of KU, should the list of instructors be updated or are there no dutch people full flethed Instructor yet?

edited to fix quote

Edited by MattJ (03/31/07 12:09 PM)

Patrick McCarthy
Hanshi 8th Dan
www.koryu-uchinadi.com

#328818 - 03/21/07 05:09 AM Re: Understanding Koryu Uchinadi [Re: Koryu Uchinadi]
Toudiyama Offline

Loc: Zaandam, Netherlands
Quote:

Hi Toudiyama,

Bert Mollen, Huub Meijer and Jan Kraayvanger have been attending my seminars since Harry de Spa first brought me to Holland in 1995. Their base style is Wado but they've collectively got a wide range of experiences and have been diligently making a transition over to KU these past few years. Presently they represent my interests in the Netherlands and are working towards obtaining full accreditation as qualified KU instructors.

I hope you'll support them and I hope I get the chance to meet you during my forthcoming visit. Please introduce yourself to me.

Hey I'm Wado too and have "looked outside the box" since I was a brown belt

I wil introduce myself

btw I attended the first seminar organized by Wendi Dragonfire in Nijmegen ( don't know the how maniest that was)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga