FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#326134 - 04/03/07 02:31 PM Re: Just curious about Kung fu [Re: Prizewriter]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Prizewriter:

Correct, at least one reading of the term anyway as it was explained to me... very, very carefully & slowly

Jeff

#326135 - 04/03/07 02:59 PM Re: Just curious about Kung fu [Re: Curly]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello Curley:

How would you go about finding another dojo, if it were necessary? As a young person, though with some experience now it will not be the art, but the school & its teacher(s) that will speak to you... Good art, bad teacher.... great teacher, so-so school... you need a match for YOU

Good teacher, right place, right price...

===============
There are many interesting books which will give you the flavor of small parts of different arts:

Jane Hallender's "Complete Guide to Kung-Fu Fighting Styles"(Unique Publications) will likely be a perfect fit to start at least.

Robert Smith: "Chinese Boxing: Masters & Methods"; 1st person stories of modern Chinese Masters & arts.

David Chow & Spengler "Kung Fu: History, Methods & Techniques. General overview.

Donn Draeger & Robert Smith: "Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts". (Kodansha Pub.) A tiny bit dryer than some but two of the original western bone-fide experts.

All of which are readily available used... there are other authors whom I could recommend Adam Hsu for example Familiar with any of these names?

Jeff

#326136 - 04/03/07 03:29 PM Re: Just curious about Kung fu [Re: Prizewriter]
Curly Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO
Quote:

Feel free to smack me down here, but I once read that Shorin was the Japanese term for Shaolin. That true??

Yes! You're (somewhat) correct. The "Shorin Ryu" style means "Small forest", which refers to the forest around the Shaolin temple.

This is another reason why I'd like to learn kung-fu. I'm learning some more techniques with a bit of Chinese influence and would like to get a bit of a kung-fu background to help make the most of my art.

#326137 - 04/03/07 03:37 PM Re: Just curious about Kung fu [Re: JimmySmith]
Curly Offline

Loc: Grand Junction, CO
Quote:

Gets even worse if you break it into northern and southern branches- e.g. Both north and south have a preying mantis style, both very different. Interestingly enough though, Karate originaly had its roots in Kung Fu so you're already studying Kung fu (kinda), and even stranger, kung fu suposedly had its roots in Kalaripayat (yep, the indian's taught the chinese who taught the japanese)

Interesting you should say that; In our pamphlet that describes our art, (Which we hand out to people that come in interested in learning), it says just that; that the art had influence from Chinese fishermen that visited, (thats where the sai weapons came from too).

It also said that it had some influence in its origins from even India as well... (Chinese fishermen learned it from there too). I just remembered that when you said that lol.

As I said in the post above; I'm getting much deeper into the art and have started learning more about the origins and some other techniques.

Unfortunately i'm having trouble finding a good school, (or teacher for that matter), to learn the art from.

#326138 - 04/05/07 04:41 AM Re: Just curious about Kung fu [Re: Curly]
JimmySmith Offline

Loc: Australia
True, finding a good school is a hassel at times, but you are in the right place at least to learn the background. A good starting point for you could be to wade through the Karate posts in the reading room. There's some good discussions pertaining to the differences. Check out http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=317 raises some interesting points. The other source if you want to start learning are the video posts- while no replacement for a teacher, you're welcome to come back here with any questions or if you're looking for our appraisals of what's going on and why.

#326139 - 04/05/07 08:31 AM Re: Just curious about Kung fu [Re: Curly]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Hello Curly:

<<Karate originaly had its roots in Kung Fu

The art I study, most of us study may have ~ancestry~ from our asian cousins at some point (whether a very recent association or an ancient one)... but became & exists as something unique-different autonimous, an "adult" if you will all by itself today!

<<started learning more about the origins and some other techniques.

Exploring is a wonderful thing

<<Unfortunately i'm having trouble finding a good school, (or teacher for that matter)

Finding a good school, a good teacher regardless of the particular skill/practice is 90% of the entire battle, the rest you bring with you ! Familiar with any of the books/names previously mentioned? Unable to find a school, as yet knowledge would be a beginning...

Jeff

#326140 - 04/05/07 10:47 PM Re: Just curious about Kung fu [Re: Curly]
tailiugug Offline

Loc: Utah
Hey Curly

Just checking in with you, have you tried any of the ideas i posted earlyer? with respect to comments and the roots of your style. Its has been my experince, that traditional "karate" gets alot Softer and less riged the higher you get in the forms as well the tech's that help you relax and "flow are often taught to the teachers "disiples"... as far as just were any combat art comes from is les important to me as the combat that ultimently texted & profected it. this alone should be enough insperation for one to true research their arts history (are any of the forms in the style based on a recorded battle)(is this form a combination of small encounters or fights)my point is asking the right question can open many doors to your martial quest... good luck

#326141 - 04/11/07 06:24 PM Re: Just curious about Kung fu [Re: tailiugug]
JimmySmith Offline

"asking the right question can open many doors".... Come on man, we're not the Free Masons

#326142 - 04/15/07 01:16 PM Re: Just curious about Kung fu [Re: JimmySmith]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
if you're going for Karate origin then I would find myself an art probably geographically closest to Japan. So far the big similarities come from arts that originate in Fujian. Something like Fujian White Crane? or maybe Five Ancestors?

#326143 - 04/17/07 04:55 AM Re: Just curious about Kung fu [Re: IExcalibui2]
JimmySmith Offline

I've never seen Karate employ anythingthing close to white crane dude, two MA styles known for the use of hooks, Mantis, and Crane, not Karate. lol. Off your case now. Stylistically from what i've seen (though not practiced), Wing Chun looks similar at times to Karate, both tending towards linear motion (Alright I agree, open hand techniques to come into play at higher dans), and both have a pretty balanced focus on kicks as well so they may complement one another. You may have problems with the stance though because Wing chun uses a traditional right foor forward stance (correct me if I'm off track)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga