FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#325074 - 03/01/07 10:41 AM Re: Lets go technical - Part 4 [Re: JKogas]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Here's a great example of EXACTLY how I use destructions to close the distance (the FIRST part of the video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9t56owrkHE

Thanks for the video, John. That's exactly what I was looking for. Do you bother with leg destructions? Seems like it would make more sense to go for a takedown if you're not going to evade.

#325075 - 03/02/07 05:06 AM Re: Lets go technical - Part 4 [Re: Taison]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
Cool stuff, John! Thanks for sharing your insight.

As far as spikes for kicks, it is always uber-painful for the kicker to have one's kick blocked with a pointy elbow - esp if said kicker is kicking with the foot/instep and not the shin. I have had a kick "spiked" in such a manner on more than one occasion, and sometimes it has put an end to my match. This works best with kicks to the body/lower torso - just hold your elbows in tight and make sure one is in the way of a foot.

The caveat is, however, that this has happened when training barefoot, wearing at most shin and instep pads. Footwear may add an element of imperviousness to this, depending on the shoe. A tennis shoe kicker may still end up with some nasty bruises, but a workboot kicker may have nothing to worry about.

Just my 0.02.

Peace,
Mike

#325076 - 03/02/07 06:33 AM Re: Lets go technical - Part 4 *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: MattJ]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Double post deleted by MattJ

Edited by MattJ (03/02/07 10:46 AM)

#325077 - 03/02/07 06:43 AM Re: Lets go technical - Part 4 [Re: JKogas]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Quote:

Do you bother with leg destructions?

Did you mean, destuctions using my legs or destructions against/targeting the legs?

I'll answer that question to say that I don't do either. I treat a kicker with strategy (such as, being in his shirt essentially).

If a person is attempting to kick, they're easier to deal with by distancing than by blocking/parrying and spiking IMO.

I don't use knee destructions because you can injure the patella. That's just not worth the risk.

Quote:

Seems like it would make more sense to go for a takedown if you're not going to evade.

True, and another option would be to go in and establish position, firing knees and really just pummeling people with uppercuts and overhands using collar ties and underhooks.

That’s hard to see in MMA anymore because just about everyone can wrestle. If you can’t wrestle in this day and age, you don’t belong in the ring or cage really because you’re minus a HUGE skillset.

Against “Joe Average”, a good Greco guy can make a fight look like magic, just the way the Gracie’s did early on. That is of course bearing in mind that he is somewhat cognizant of fighting (awareness of things outside the rules structure of his sport – of course even without being so aware, the difference in skill is usually quite disproportionate and is usually a moot point)

-John

#325078 - 03/02/07 05:31 PM Re: Lets go technical - Part 4 [Re: Taison]
Umbra_777 Offline

Quote:

Spikes for kicks? Are there any? How you do them?

-Taison out

I've found that kicks to the body can often be spiked simply by keeping a tight guard (of course this was WTF TKD so leg kicks were not a concern). I remember a conversation once:
Them- "You shouldn't keep a tight guard like that you'll hurt your opponent."
Me- "They're trying to kick me, wouldn't I want to hurt them?"

-Umbra

#325079 - 03/02/07 09:33 PM Re: Lets go technical - Part 4 [Re: Umbra_777]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
I often kick to the body and accidentally hit elbows sometimes, its very painful and sometimes makes you want to stop. I think if someone used this tactic to their advantage, they would be very dangerous.

#325080 - 03/02/07 09:57 PM Re: Lets go technical - Part 4 [Re: Ayub]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I often kick to the body and accidentally hit elbows sometimes, its very painful and sometimes makes you want to stop.

That's basically the idea. You want to punish your opponent at every turn. Every time he tries to hit you, he ends up hurting as a result. That's a pretty good deal in my opinion.

-John

#325081 - 03/03/07 12:31 AM Re: Lets go technical - Part 4 [Re: JKogas]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
So far I've only got two spike techniques for kicks;

When I do my MT block, I'll angle my elbow out diagonally to meet their shin. Sometimes it hurts, but the effect it gets on them is much greater. The risk is by bending it diagonally, I'll get hit in the face sometimes, but oh well.

The second is when they kick, I'll intercept into their kick as well as kneeing them right in the thigh. Sometimes it doesn't happen on precise timing and I end up kneeing them in the shin, which of course hurts more. It's better to intercept late than early imo.

I've been experimenting with the elbow spikes and to be honest, they're great. John, thanks for making me stronger muhaha. Just need to get the timing down and then I'll destroy fists like paper.

Quote:

You want to punish your opponent at every turn. Every time he tries to hit you, he ends up hurting as a result. That's a pretty good deal in my opinion.

Sounds like a deal from "duty-free". Discount anyone?

-Taison out

#325082 - 03/17/07 11:17 PM Re: Lets go technical - Part 4 [Re: Taison]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I've been experimenting with the elbow spikes and to be honest, they're great. John, thanks for making me stronger muhaha. Just need to get the timing down and then I'll destroy fists like paper.

That's the idea bro. Timing is the key and the training is pretty easy to do safely. In fact, ALL aspects of training can be done safely. There are no reasons for injuries. They aren't just your fault, injuries are the entire training teams fault. When drilling, I work spikes into my standard defensive drills. One such drill is just an offense-defense drill. This is where one side throws punches and the other can only defend. This is a great time to work every aspect of defense, including spikes.

Corner drills are a great way of doing this as well. Then start adding them into your counter-punching sets and you're good to go.

-John

#325083 - 03/18/07 01:43 AM Re: Lets go technical - Part 4 [Re: JKogas]
jamestkdkungfu Offline

In TKD matches i like to block with my elbows against roundhouse kicks. after feeling a few of those they usually start to hesitate to attack me. It isn't illegal either because it looks like a forearm block just your arm is slightly bent.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga