FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#324987 - 02/26/07 03:23 PM rotator cuff
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Anyone got any experience of rotator cuff problems?

I have some discomfort in my back, around my shoulder blade. I also get slight numbness and tingling in my arms occasionally. A fellow puppeteer suggested RC. Any suggestions?

I'm aiming on seeing a doctor this week but he might not speaka-da-good-angielski.

My wife has suggested it is all because I spend too much time on FA.com

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#324988 - 02/26/07 03:28 PM Re: rotator cuff [Re: trevek]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
I had a pretty bad bout of Rotator Cuff Tendonitis a couple years ago. A few sessions with a physical therapist sorted that out.

It still gets tender from time to time, but if I keep up with my stretches and exercize, I'm good to go.

#324989 - 02/26/07 05:26 PM Re: rotator cuff [Re: trevek]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Yup, have exerpienced this twice with a real bad bout where I had to see a physcical therapist. This last time was about 5 or 6 years ago and after extensive work in my yard due to removing lawn and putting in tons of washed rock, as well at that time I was weight lifting hard, the darn thing tore fairly bad. I was out of doing anything for 3 months which sort of sucked a bit because in the final months I went to Cancun and it still bugged me a bit.

It's been fairly good since then and though surgery was an option at that time, it wasn't something I believe I needed. I still have problems and my shoulders are weak and it is important that I pay attention to the pains I have otherwise I could be rehabbing for longer and actually having surgery; and from what I know that isn't too good. But I believe this exta attention and good solid weight lifting with good form and technique have at least made me better then if I wasn't doing anything at all.

In December of 2004 I crushed my vertebrea and then reagrivated it in April of 2005. Both I assumed it was my rotator cuff because the symptoms were initially similar. Make sure that you get yourself checked out and identify what the real problem is and then look at getting treatment to get yourself back into a steady routine again.

Get better and good luck.

#324990 - 02/26/07 09:08 PM Re: rotator cuff [Re: trevek]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Numbness and tingling (along with the location) would indicate something more along the lines of impingement or nerve tension. It is really impossible for me to make any kind of guess without having a complete history and being able to do tests.

Go to the doctor and tell him/her you feel you need to see a physical therapist (physiotherapist).

#324991 - 02/27/07 04:24 AM Re: rotator cuff [Re: trevek]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Thanks guys.

#324992 - 02/27/07 08:43 AM Re: rotator cuff [Re: trevek]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I have had tendonitis in the shoulder and elbow areas for many years. Just have to learn to take it easy when it acts up.

#324993 - 02/27/07 04:21 PM Re: rotator cuff [Re: MattJ]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Oh, that's what I'm in-tendon to do if necessary.

#324994 - 02/27/07 05:18 PM Re: rotator cuff [Re: trevek]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North

As a note, my collar bone and also my crushed vertebrae gave me similar pains and numbness. I hope yours is the minor of the two or even simpler then that. Get better soon and take care.

#324995 - 02/28/07 08:49 PM Re: rotator cuff [Re: trevek]
Borrek Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Quote:

Anyone got any experience of rotator cuff problems?

I have some discomfort in my back, around my shoulder blade. I also get slight numbness and tingling in my arms occasionally. A fellow puppeteer suggested RC. Any suggestions?

I'm aiming on seeing a doctor this week but he might not speaka-da-good-angielski.

My wife has suggested it is all because I spend too much time on FA.com

The telltale sign of a rotator cuff issue is a diminished range of motion. Do you experience any pinching or pulling type pain when you move your arm above your head?

The thing about rotator cuff problems is that the only way to really be sure is to do an MRI. When I saw my doctor about my issues he torqued my shoulder through all kinds of angles, asking "how bad does this hurt?" over and over. So expect that from your doc too.

#324996 - 03/03/07 05:34 AM Re: rotator cuff [Re: Borrek]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Thanks for all the info and advice guys.

I went to the docs and he did the moving thing you mentioned. Thing was it didn't hurt.

He also said 'relax' which is a crazy thing to say to a theatre person as it mean I relly relaxed my arms, so when he turned me one way my arms whipped out and sent his jar of pencils crashing to the floor!

Anyway, he reckons its some kind of tension and put me on anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants. Also told me no dynamic exercise, like TKD (I suppose it rules out the capoeira too!).

The tai chi is ok tho'.

Thanks for the description of RC pains. I don't have these so I guess I can keep doing my puppets over head.

Thanks again.

TREV:-)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga