FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Matakiant 1
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#324058 - 02/24/07 02:47 AM Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? [Re: FightingFeet]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
I asked not to mock you, but just so my reply can be put in the proper context with regards to what you should or ought to know at the level that you are at now.

If you are a Junior Black, meaning you are now below 16, it at least gives everyone here an idea on how to address your question. If you are say a 2nd degree Senior Black, then you deserved to be mocked and perhaps give your belt back. If you are now say a yellow, then your questions are perfectly understandable.

I am therefore surprised at your questions because all the matters implicit in your questions were or ought to have been already addressed from green belt onwards (because that's when free-sparring is a requisite for belt promotion tests from then onwards) otherwise how could you have sparred well enough to get promoted all the way to Junior Black, which is I think about 5-6-7 tests away from green?

#324059 - 02/24/07 05:43 AM Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
FightingFeet Offline

Loc: Singapore
I haven't gone training for my TKD for already around 9 months, due to the amount of school work i have to face. An now i'm trying to buck up.

Edited by FightingFeet (02/24/07 05:49 AM)

#324060 - 02/24/07 05:27 PM Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? [Re: FightingFeet]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Burnaby, BC, Canada

#324061 - 02/24/07 11:27 PM Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? [Re: FightingFeet]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
If you are interested in training for 'taking hits' or Iron Shirt (in mandarin -- "Tie Bu Yi") you won't get it around here.

There are groups in Singapore that has it as part of their training; forget about the CCs, which is probably where you did your TKD.

However the training is long and time consuming and you will probably be going to Junior College or Poly soon, so the amount of dedicated time and effort you can put in is limited.

#324062 - 02/25/07 04:05 AM Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? [Re: FightingFeet]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

Loc: Toowoomba, Qld, Australia
Quote:

Anyone knows the right way to take punches (or maybe kicks) from the opponent, especially when blocking of the attacks fails? Recently i read from a website and it stated there how to take punches, the following is the link:
http://www.wikihow.com/Take-a-Punch
Is this the correct way?

the tips on the link will help but it's a little bit more to it then that.

-The first thing to do is get used to being hit, it takes the surprise out of the sensation. it removes the "Oh Sh!T" factor. I'm not saying here that you should get someone to KO you but put on some cloves and feel what it's like to be punched in various locations at about half power and work up to a harder punch. ( start lower if you want).

-ok this breathing thing, yes you want to breath out on impact but I disagree with expelling the air as quickly as possible, it may work but I prefer (from experience) releasing the air with resistance. I'll try to explain: think of the air bags used by high fall stunt people. this bags are designed to release air trough vents which offer a degree of resistance. As the stunt dude hits the bag the air is pushed out under resistance to decelerate the stunty and arrest his/her momentum.

If the bag was sealed then the impact would result in the force being sent back into the stunty's body resulting in him bouncing of the bag. The bag itself has no give in it so the increased pressure caused by compression of air from the impact puts stress on the walls og the bag.

If the air was allowed to flow out of the bag with little resistance then it supplies no or little protection seeing the air simply gets pushed out too quickly to offer any arresting ability. Splat.

I'm sure that could have been explained with fewer words then that

-Move the impact area in the direction of the strike, essentially this is "rolling with the Punches. Simple would you rather be in a car being hit by another car that is
a) traveling in the same direction as your car
b) traveling at you whilst your car is stationary
c) have a head on collision.

-Make contact early in the strike. the maximum force of a strike is found at the end of the strike so meet the strike before it can develop that force. (aka Jamming) you can also make contact further down the limb, closer to the body (e.g. the biceps).

Hope that helps, just my thoughts, do with them as you wish

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
www.ToowoombaSelfDefence.websyte.com.au
Bushi Dojos Self Protection
Toowoomba Self Defence

#324063 - 02/25/07 09:03 AM Re: How to take a punch and other attacks? [Re: FightingFeet]
Dedicated1 Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
I had a friend who studied "Combat Chi". It was all about taking hits from an attacker. She would let you groin kick her, punch or kick her in the stomach, and even punch her in the throat. All of those with 100% power and speed. I don't know very much about it, but it was cool to see and do.
I agree with the others with sparring, you get used to hitting and being hit. That would be the best way to learn.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga