FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
kolslaw 1
Bartfast 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#323902 - 02/22/07 06:48 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Xibalba]
Unsu Offline

Loc: San Antone, Tejas
Your form is good. You can sacrifice some power if you have good speed and form. I liked what you did, but just like Matt you didn't move around the bag. You also concentrated on mid-level roundhouses and tended at times to keep your leg off the ground with those roundhouse jabs. I can tell you've had TKD training. Since you have trained in BJJ you understand how important it is to get your leg back to the ground as fast as possible.

I like that you keep your elbows in. With the crispness of your straight punching, power is maximized. Everyone keeps talking about getting your knee up for sidekicks, but the best sidekicks are low-line ones. Unless you're stomping, the knee-up position telegraphs your kick.

You have lankiness and leverage on your side. the best strikers are often the tall cats with the long limbs. Gravity is an excellent force multiplier when it comes to kicking and (especially) punching. Your hooks looked good too, especially the ones in close.

Thanks for the video. I'm guessing you do Isshin Ryu by the way you form your fist. Be careful with that punch on a real person. It provides less stability and finger splinting than the traditional Okinawan fist. Broken thumbs are a doozy to repair...

#323903 - 02/22/07 07:49 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Unsu]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
Quote:

Your form is good. You can sacrifice some power if you have good speed and form. I liked what you did, but just like Matt you didn't move around the bag. You also concentrated on mid-level roundhouses and tended at times to keep your leg off the ground with those roundhouse jabs. I can tell you've had TKD training. Since you have trained in BJJ you understand how important it is to get your leg back to the ground as fast as possible.

I like that you keep your elbows in. With the crispness of your straight punching, power is maximized. Everyone keeps talking about getting your knee up for sidekicks, but the best sidekicks are low-line ones. Unless you're stomping, the knee-up position telegraphs your kick.

You have lankiness and leverage on your side. the best strikers are often the tall cats with the long limbs. Gravity is an excellent force multiplier when it comes to kicking and (especially) punching. Your hooks looked good too, especially the ones in close.

Thanks for the video. I'm guessing you do Isshin Ryu by the way you form your fist. Be careful with that punch on a real person. It provides less stability and finger splinting than the traditional Okinawan fist. Broken thumbs are a doozy to repair...

Hi Unsu!

Thanks for the props! I am indeed lean and lanky - physically suited for punching and kicking at mid to long-range. Regarding movement around the bag - I wish! You should see my tiny basement. What you see on film is just about the maximum amount of space I get to work out in. Someday, when we win the lotto, I will build my polebarn dojo in the backyard. Until then, my little corner of karate heaven will have to do.

Funny you should think I did Isshin-ryu - I never thought of the similarities of our fist and that of Isshin-ryu. I actually train in Pukang Tang Soo Do . Although a Korean style, our traditional fist is done with the thumb out like you see in our patch. Luckily, I have only jammed my thumb once like that punching a real person. After so many years of making fists like that when doing kata, that is just how my fists are made - it is really an unconscious thing at this point. Luckily I do not get into too many bare-knuckle fights .

Peace,
Mike

#323904 - 02/22/07 07:52 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Unsu]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Unsu,
X is one of those Tang Soo Do guys that lives in the neither regions between Okinowa and and TKD. Not unlike myself.

Looking good X. I like the high knee chamber.

#323905 - 02/22/07 07:59 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: oldman]
Xibalba Offline

Quote:

Unsu,
X is one of those Tang Soo Do guys that lives in the neither regions between Okinowa and and TKD. Not unlike myself.

Hehe...you said I live in the "nether regions"...

Mike

#323906 - 02/22/07 08:41 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Xibalba]
Jeff_G Offline

Loc: Midwest
Not bad at all. I thought I was seeing some TKD there. Just about the time I was wondering if I was going to see any multiple kicks, there were a couple of double roundhouse kicks. The back kicks were nice too.

What I would like to see would be a front kick, re-chamber the leg, followed with a roundhouse to the side. Perhaps even a double roundhouse. I used to find that combo rather effective for a couple of reasons. First, the front kick stops the forward motion of an attacker and measures them perfectly for the roundhouse. Second, not many people can, or would even think of doing that combo. Hence, they are not prepared to deal with it. The good thing is that you have the kicks to pull it off.

Oh, and I really like the punch after kicking moves. Not an easy technique. I sit there griping at the tv whenever I see some UFC guy throwing a one-off kick and no followup with hands. All the power is going backwards.

Keep up the good work.

JG

#323907 - 02/22/07 09:01 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Jeff_G]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
If you see tang soo do you are seeing tae kwon do aswell. Same art different package.
Vinci

#323908 - 02/22/07 11:39 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Ed_Morris]
Xibalba Offline

Quote:

back to the bag - I know it isn't the topic really, but it's an interesting aside: maybe distributing the load from 3 points would solve 2 problems at once. might solve the over-stressing of one area plus reduces swing?

Hi Ed,

Been thinking about what you mean by this - could you explain your thoughts a little more? I think I have an idea of how to do this, but I am a social worker and not an engineer, so clarification would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Mike

#323909 - 02/23/07 12:55 AM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Xibalba]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

quick-n-dirty mock-up of what I'm thinking:

http://www.geocities.com/nthdegree_news/punch-bag.jpg

on the left is a regular mount...on the right is a 3-point attachment - laid out on the ceiling as a triangle (or maybe in-line is better?) equal to or greater than the width of the bag...depending on how much you want to restrict the swing.

does it work? never tried it or saw it before. it was just a thought.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga