FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#323892 - 02/21/07 05:21 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: grumbleweed]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Its time I took my lil old nikon upto the gym one of these days

now you know that restraining order is still in place from the last time you took your 'lil old nikon' out in the gym

#323893 - 02/21/07 05:34 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Xibalba]
matxtx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: england
I would like to comment on the lack of intensity or power or intent.It was fast and that though lacking lots in effort I would say.Genuin intense effort as though it was a man who was about to rip your head off, was lacking.It was like you were hitting a bag..not a man.Which,yea I know you were,though whats the point in that?

Also sometimes it was tacticaly unaware of someone hitting you back or not letting you just hit them...for example on front kicks you could of mimicked moving their hands out of the way to kick them or keeping a gaurd in places where a shot from them would definitly come.You know a shot from them WILL come when your punching close in.

Hope you see it as constructive critisism and not having a pop.Cheers.

#323894 - 02/21/07 08:58 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Xibalba]
McSensei Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kent, England
Fair play for putting the video up. I won't bore you with what was good in it, but I would like to mention one thing that struck me time and again.
You telegraph your front and side kicks by doing a little, sort of hesitant, shake of the hands. You don't do it on the round kicks.

Very crisp overall though.

#323895 - 02/21/07 09:15 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Xibalba]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

you afraid of the bag? hit the thing instead of surface tapping like you are point sparring.

aim for 6 inches within the bag, not it's outer skin.

#323896 - 02/21/07 09:57 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Ed_Morris]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
Quote:

you afraid of the bag? hit the thing instead of surface tapping like you are point sparring.

aim for 6 inches within the bag, not it's outer skin.

Well...it is one bada$$ bag!

Seriously, I know what you are talking about - I really don't lay into my home bag like I would like to. This is because it is not hung as sturdily as I wish it were. My basement is finished, including the ceiling. I don't have a bare beam to wrap the chain around, so I had to use a studfinder to find the ceiling beam and drill holes through the drywall to hang the bag mounts. I actually have to tighten them before I work out every time, as they loosen up each time I use the bag. I am honestly afraid if I lay into the bag the way I do in the dojo that it just might rip the mounts out of my ceiling. Thus, when I work out on my bag at home, I usually go lighter than usual and work speed and combos, as you saw in the video.

Kind of a lame excuse, I know. But on the other hand, I don't want to spend cash repairing my basement ceiling just because I wanted to hit my bag as hard as I could.

Peace,
Mike

#323897 - 02/22/07 01:22 AM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Xibalba]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

makes sense. didn't realize. thats the tricky thing with video clips - whatever people are showing always comes with a context and often times the context is not known or wrongly assumed.

back to the bag - I know it isn't the topic really, but it's an interesting aside: maybe distributing the load from 3 points would solve 2 problems at once. might solve the over-stressing of one area plus reduces swing?

#323898 - 02/22/07 04:05 AM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Xibalba]
ashe_higgs Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: phoenix
some very nice movement there. great transitions between striking and kicking!

#323899 - 02/22/07 03:07 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: McSensei]
Xibalba Offline

Quote:

Fair play for putting the video up. I won't bore you with what was good in it, but I would like to mention one thing that struck me time and again.
You telegraph your front and side kicks by doing a little, sort of hesitant, shake of the hands. You don't do it on the round kicks.

Very crisp overall though.

Hi McSensei.

Yep - just saw that shake, too. Gotta work on getting rid of that. If I do it on the bag you can bet I do it when I fight.

You know, it has been a long time since I watched any video of my training, and I forgot what a useful tool it can be for self-critique. I think I may have to record some more training sessions so I can pick up on some other things I need work on.

Cheers!
Mike

#323900 - 02/22/07 03:24 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: Xibalba]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
To me you look like a distant fighter, you do not like to be up close. But when you did you threw some nice elbows. I liked your hand work. Because I am a TKD guy I will focus on your kicks.

It looked to be you telegraphed on your side kicks and with your lead round kicks. To me you seemed more interested in proper technique than in actual power. Your still not fluid with your kicks, they look choppy, your hesitant to use them and when you do I can see the mechanics in your kicks as if I were breaking them down for a novice student.

By this I do not mean to say your a beginner, but that you are not shooting your legs out there, your trying to be a little showy, as if you were posing for a camera and making sure they caught your chamber + kick+ re-chamber ect.

Your rear leg kicks were to snappy, not once did it seem like you were swinging for the fences with your kicks, I think you need to commit more with them. Even your back kick was very controlled it had no weight behind it. your legs are nearly three to four times stronger than your arms, and yet I saw the bag shake more from your punches and elbows than I did for your kicks.

-Dicne12
Vinci

#323901 - 02/22/07 05:44 PM Re: Me on the bag [Re: TeK9]
Xibalba Offline

Quote:

To me you look like a distant fighter, you do not like to be up close. But when you did you threw some nice elbows. I liked your hand work. Because I am a TKD guy I will focus on your kicks.

It looked to be you telegraphed on your side kicks and with your lead round kicks. To me you seemed more interested in proper technique than in actual power. Your still not fluid with your kicks, they look choppy, your hesitant to use them and when you do I can see the mechanics in your kicks as if I were breaking them down for a novice student.

By this I do not mean to say your a beginner, but that you are not shooting your legs out there, your trying to be a little showy, as if you were posing for a camera and making sure they caught your chamber + kick+ re-chamber ect.

Your rear leg kicks were to snappy, not once did it seem like you were swinging for the fences with your kicks, I think you need to commit more with them. Even your back kick was very controlled it had no weight behind it. your legs are nearly three to four times stronger than your arms, and yet I saw the bag shake more from your punches and elbows than I did for your kicks.

-Dicne12

Hi Tek!

You are right - I am not a "stand toe to toe and bash" kind of guy. I like to keep people off of me if possible, and when they get close, I would rather grapple (thanks to some BJJ experience), than strike.

As for power, read the post above about the not-so-great mounting of my bag. I smack it around in my basement, but do not lay into it as I do with the dojo bag.

To be fair though and own up to my shortcomings (we all have them), I am very much a technical fighter and not known to be a powerhouse. I am aggressive and love to fight, but heavy hands I ain't got. I have KO'ed my share of opponents in 21 yrs, broken some ribs through some WTF TKD armor with a well-placed front kick, and even last week cracked open the cup of a sparring partner with a side kick (our club has always sparred with groin as an open target, and yes, my training partner is just fine - the cup did its job and took the force rather than his boys ), but I am still not known for earth-shattering force.

This is not to say that I do not appreciate and honor constructive criticism. It is always a trade-ff (IMO) between all-or-nothing power and staying balanced and in-control in a fight, and I know it is something to always work on.

Cheers!
Mike

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga