FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#323462 - 02/19/07 02:17 PM My son's latest tournament & photo....
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
I'm on the youth competition tournament circuit this spring with my son, we are competing in at least eight. He is really getting into sparring and all the prep work that goes into training. He is only eight, but is getting a MA education and experience just by competing, seeing and making friends in all the different styles. The picture below is from 2/17/07 he took first place sparring and of course I am very proud of him!

The man in the picture is Sensei Hugo Armondo from Phila. PA, super nice guy that sponsored tournament.

#323463 - 02/19/07 03:59 PM Re: My son's latest tournament & photo.... [Re: schanne]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Congrats to your son, Schanne. Tournaments can be a great way to have fun and meet other folks. And if you win, even better!

#323464 - 02/20/07 10:15 AM Re: My son's latest tournament & photo.... [Re: schanne]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Schanne:

Congradulations to your son !

<<I'm on the youth competition tournament circuit this spring with my son, we are competing in at least eight.

How does this work ~youth competition tournament~....? Eight different tournaments open or closed (ie your "umbrella" group exclusively)?

Jeff

#323465 - 02/20/07 01:15 PM Re: My son's latest tournament & photo.... [Re: Ronin1966]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Went on the internet and typed in "karate tournaments". Up came everything in NJ. Plus there is a MA supply store that I go to once (all the time ) in a while and they have flyers all over the wall with upcoming seminars and tournaments. My son has a great interest in competing so I told him that we would go to all the ones I found suitable for him. We have competed in three so far and have about six more until the summer. This whole competition thing is just for his expierence and self confidence. I don't want him to loose track of his normal MA training either, so far so good. "The youth competition" phrase is only a word used to describe his division, there isn't just a childrens circuit that I know of? Plus we drag all the rest of the kids from the school with me, I'm sort of like the soccerr mom....dad sort of, well you know what I mean.

http://www.karatetournaments.com/

#323466 - 02/21/07 10:05 PM Re: My son's latest tournament & photo.... [Re: schanne]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I guess it also depends on the personality, but do tournaments really build long-term self confidence? I don't know, is why I ask.

#323467 - 02/22/07 12:07 PM Re: My son's latest tournament & photo.... [Re: Ed_Morris]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Let you know in ten years

#323468 - 02/22/07 02:25 PM Re: My son's latest tournament & photo.... [Re: schanne]
Xibalba Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI, USA
Congrats to your son, Schanne!

Man, that trophy is almost as big as he is.

Mike

#323469 - 02/22/07 02:31 PM Re: My son's latest tournament & photo.... [Re: Xibalba]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Funny, the grand prize trophies (4 catagories) were 7' tall!! The size of them anymore is ridiculous, how do you fit one in your car?

#323470 - 02/22/07 02:57 PM Re: My son's latest tournament & photo.... [Re: Ed_Morris]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Ed, I kept thinking about your post and personally yes I think it builds much more than confidence when you compete. Training year after year with the same handfull of guys/gals is great but you have a tendency to "hold back" when sparring with them, nothing wrong with showing respect either. But at tournaments it seems competitiors tend to let go a little further to the point that you have to defend yourself or your going to get hurt. So basically it's the "closest thing" to a real confrontation and the ability to really use your techniques and skill in somewhat of a controlled enviorment. If your doing that twice a month and feeling good about yourself, yes it's a great way to help a persons self confidense. I've been in the business a long time and have seen the normal student who does the average training without competing and also the opposite and I'm going to tell you that the people that compete are a far superior fighters vs. the average dojo trainee. Does this make them a better martial artist, absolutely not but our topic is about competition sparring and confidence. You could put a spin on this too and for the people that "never spar or compete" eeek , you need to ask yourself... how will I react in a situation when confronted by different techniques.....or worst case, in a real street situation??!!

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga