FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 20 of 22 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#323247 - 03/04/07 11:58 AM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: MattJ]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

The man's name is Tie Lao and he teaches at Mount Wudang Retreat in China for US$2,695 per month. He also sells a DVD course that has 130 disk sets (3 hours per) for US$29.95 per set.

just thought anyone taking the advice to 'just visit him' should know.

I can find out more if anyone's really that interested.

#323248 - 03/04/07 12:10 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: wristtwister]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I believe you Grady and I agree. I do see the term differently now and it overlaps with what I've been taught and didn't know it by a term.

I fell into the trap of judging the term with all of it's baggage attached instead of seeing it for what it is (and what it's not). can't blame me though, there are lot's of people making alot of money off of that baggage.

#323249 - 03/04/07 01:13 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: Ed_Morris]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

btw...how careless of me. that 2,695/month was incorrect.

http://www.qigonghealingtreatment.com/Registoronline.htm

it's actually US $2,995 per 15 days. so about $5,990 per month.

#323250 - 03/04/07 02:46 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: Fisherman]
Lucid Warrior Offline

Loc: TwinCities, MN, U.S.
I guess I'm just a little surprised that this vid is still a legit topic of discussion, while Steve Rowe's vid (a couple of threads down) hasn't gotten any responses.

Really, I don't care if the old man has a qi-engine of over 900 horsepower, if that engine isn't turning any wheels through his drive train, the car isn't going anywhere. I could be terribly wrong about this, but I thought that an internal skill had to manifest on an external level to produce an external result. -Meaning, internal movement, breathing, mind intent...etc... ..Doesn't it still need to be directed through the body's structure to produce an external result (such as sending someone flying backwards)? Without manifesting the power through the structure all the way to the surface external movements, isn't it just like revving an engine without shifting out of neutral?

#323251 - 03/04/07 03:52 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: Ed_Morris]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
People have been making money off martial arts ever since the first big time promoter, Joe Corley, started the "Battle of Atlanta" oh, so many years ago... even before that, I suspect.

The recipe is simple... take something that's not widely known, add a little flash, some music, costumes, and then make a lot of noise about it being the "ultimate" in whatever it is... You can sell Ki training... combat self-defense... or any other legitimate art using that same formula... only the principles of those legitimate arts usually preclude you from doing it.

I probably could have been a rich man by now if I didn't care what a student walked away with "in the name of martial arts". Rather than that, however, I want to see them excel at what they're doing, and the ones who "abandon the farm" to go money-crazy and start making their fortune off suckers deserve all the criticism and grief that follows that particular path. They deserve to be called charlatans, and fakers, and con-men... because that's what they are.

Got to go now... ULTIMATE FIGHTING is coming on TV... I wouldn't want to miss it on PAY PER VIEW...

#323252 - 03/04/07 05:59 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: Ed_Morris]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Quote:

an interesting read, written by someone with extensive IMA training in China from a host of Qigong masters.
http://www.csicop.org/sb/9903/sima-nan.html

China's James Randi...

LW... I sense some sort of logic disconnect here. Are you suggesting that youth = strength and that old age = weak? So from YOUR perspective, the old man *must* get his a$$ beaten by the younger man otherwise it's not "real"?

Now that's an interesting perception filter...

BTW... this discussion is fine... but perhaps is more relevant in its own thread.

#323253 - 03/04/07 06:22 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: eyrie]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

oops... the article was about "Sima Nan" but was written by 'Don Mainfort'. sorry.

yes, like Randy, Sima Nan even has a 'Million dollar challenge' equivalent. I agree...kindof off-topic, sorry about that.

#323254 - 03/04/07 07:45 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: eyrie]
Lucid Warrior Offline

Loc: TwinCities, MN, U.S.
Quote:

LW... I sense some sort of logic disconnect here. Are you suggesting that youth = strength and that old age = weak? So from YOUR perspective, the old man *must* get his a$$ beaten by the younger man otherwise it's not "real"?

No. I never suggested that. Try again.

#323255 - 03/04/07 08:07 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: Lucid Warrior]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Just clarifying... in case I did mis-read you.... which I think I did...

OK, you're talking about the legitimacy of the vid... BTW, when I said revisit the vid.... I meant, looking at it again from a different perspective...

But yeah, OK, I can see that there might be a whole new can-o-worms with regard to what is or is not legit, but such things are based on individual experience, and unless you've touched hands and felt it, it is hard to prove what "experience feels like" in any case.

#323256 - 03/04/07 08:41 PM High level skill [Re: Kage_Meijin]
Kempoman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Houston, TX

The thing is, if David Blaine could make a stranger jump in the air without any visible movement on his part...what argument could be made if he had no prior IMA training?

David, is a magician not a IMA practictioner. They would be performing a magic trick.

Quote:

I get you that there are IMA people that can hit hard. That was never the question, though. The question is "is there something definably different about the results of ki-based training compared to non-ki based training?"

If it's just mechanics, which some folks are saying that it is, but.........

How can we define the difference? Lots of people can hit hard.

Matt, it is not hitting hard. It is hitting unlike anthing you have ever experienced before. I was struck on the arm
during a demonstration by Dr. Hampton and passed out from the impact and spent the next couple of hours puking my guts up and rubbing jow on my arm.
This was from a simple slow movement 'parting wild horses mane'. Comparing my striking(this goes for any of the other abilites) ability to Dr. Hampton is like comparing my eight year old' striking ability to mine.
It is a process. Conditioning, mechanics and practice. Yi, li, qi and shen. It is really amazing and there are only a few who have it.

Quote:

KM, if it's all the same, could we keep to just what each one of us can do, and not invoke 3rd parties to make our points for us?

You asked earlier in the thread for IMA people who were highly skilled, no?

Quote:

I believe what you are saying is true, and take it at face value those gentleman you mention can hit harder than me.

I really don't care what you believe, since you are unwilling to go and find out for yourself.

Like Chris said in a previous post...

Quote:

Anyone that has high level skill ,(especially higher than what you posses) can hit harder than you can possibly imagine.

...you feel unable to respond.

Quote:

The question is, since you are the one participating in this thread and not them, what can YOU do from having trained in IMA that other non-IMAists here could not possibly do?

I have never crossed hands with the other IMA'ist here before, but I can launch you across the room with the smallest of movements, split a coconut with a slap, stand firm in place while you try to shoulder tackle me and bounce off like a basketball.

I have no idea if others here can do these same things, and anyone is welcome to come to Houston to verify these things (just as some have in the past).

I however do NOT possess, what is known as high-level skill.

Qi training is a misnomer. Energy training is a misnomer unless you are doing qigong.

Training the mind, body and spirit to function as one is what it is all about.

Page 20 of 22 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga