FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#323067 - 02/19/07 09:40 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: eyrie]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Can you describe what kokyu ho is.

#323068 - 02/19/07 10:41 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: Fisherman]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
I'll go u one better... here's a pic form Karl Friday's book.
http://neijia.com/KokyuHo.jpg

Also variously called reiki-no-ho and more accurately kokyu-tanden-ho.

Basically, the idea is to use your dantien/tanden to come under the person's power. Essentially, the same idea with all internal skills... fang sung, use the dantien, use the ground, use the mind to will the force (yes, Luke, use the Force), use the breath to augment etc. etc. etc.

#323069 - 02/20/07 03:42 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: eyrie]
Lucid Warrior Offline

Loc: TwinCities, MN, U.S.
^ I call that a seated powerclean Okay, that's a little different...

#323070 - 02/21/07 07:46 AM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: eyrie]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

or is that more an exercise of leveraging with a cooperating partner who maintains a wrist-grab in order to complete the waza? kidding

there's a simplier and less etherial way of thinking about kokyu-ho that spans breathing principles from all fighting Arts: inhale when receiving momentum, exhale when transmitting it.

#323071 - 02/21/07 09:13 AM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: eyrie]
Fisherman Offline
Veteran

Loc: Colorado, USA
Thanks for the link.
So would you say that this is using your center of gravity to get under the persons base of power and break their root?

#323072 - 02/21/07 06:27 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: Ed_Morris]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Ed,

Synchronizing the breath cycle with the movement has little to do with it. You can be holding your breath and still make it work.

Chris,

Think of it this way.... the triangular base of the seated posture provides 3 points (knees and feet) and 2 edges (shins) of contact with the ground. Force acting on the structure is directed to the ground and bounced back - internally - thru your structure into their structure. Changing the vector of the GRF is what causes the other person to uproot...all by themselves.

So the harder they push, the more they uproot themselves - depending on how well you can hold your structure and redirect the GRF thru the holes in their structure.

So, no, Ed, you don't need a cooperative uke to do this, although having one in the early learning stages helps.... simply because the opposite is also true. Even if I as uke am grabbing, if I can find a path vector under your power to your "holes", I can easily uproot you.

Sometimes, there is a pin/hold down at the end when you uproot the other person.... if you lose the connection with the ground whilst pinning, or cannot maintain your structure and the ground path, the person being pinned on the ground can also uproot you - if they know how.

Does that make sense?

So what does this have to do with qi/ki? I'll let you guys figure that one out...

#323073 - 02/21/07 09:08 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: eyrie]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

the triangular base of the seated posture provides 3 points (knees and feet) and 2 edges (shins) of contact with the ground. Force acting on the structure is directed to the ground and bounced back - internally - thru your structure into their structure. Changing the vector of the GRF is what causes the other person to uproot...all by themselves.

ie. 'leveraging'.

if someone can hold their breath and do this as you say - then an equal argument is saying someone can do this technique without concepts such as 'ki'....but if it's conveinent to do so, why not.

receive/inhale/float - whatever term you like for softening or redirecting the attackers incoming momentum (or vectors). transmit/exhale/sink - or whichever term for projecting your momentum or vectors. Both using angles, timing, 'loose' structure, and a host of subtlties that are impossible to get with words and only can be understood by feel. all of those things aren't separate.

Ki is the balanced manipulation of momentum and force vectors....one part of doing that is with breathing - along with a thousand other things that don't amount to much just reading about it.

but knowing me, I probably have it all wrong - so it's better to stick to what each of our sensei teaches.

#323074 - 02/21/07 10:28 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: Ed_Morris]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

ie. 'leveraging'.

Oh, I get it... you mean 'leveraging' as in borrowing 'energy' as leverage, rather than in the sense of fulcrums and levers...

Quote:

if someone can hold their breath and do this as you say - then an equal argument is saying someone can do this technique without concepts such as 'ki'....but if it's conveinent to do so, why not.

I prefer the Force(TM) myself... but yeah... Luke... woteva

Quote:

receive/inhale/float - whatever term you like for softening or redirecting the attackers incoming momentum (or vectors). transmit/exhale/sink - or whichever term for projecting your momentum or vectors. Both using angles, timing, 'loose' structure, and a host of subtlties that are impossible to get with words and only can be understood by feel. all of those things aren't separate.

All of which are additive and adjuncts... to the basic mechanics... see Lane's post and Grady's post. And yes, you have to FEEL it... understanding what you feel is an entirely different matter though...

Quote:

Ki is the balanced manipulation of momentum and force vectors....one part of doing that is with breathing - along with a thousand other things that don't amount to much just reading about it.

One reason I don't like using the word qi/ki is because it is too nebulous and broad as a descriptive term for what we're talking about. "Energetics" might be a closer term, but again, it's too nebulous for me. Force - not THE Force(TM) - and vectors OTOH, is far more concrete... to get your head around the basic idea.

Bottom line, the basic principles are the same. The variations are simply a "preferred" way to do it... if you like.

So, yeah... just keep doing what your sensei says.... hence my initial response... ask your sensei.

#323075 - 02/22/07 09:41 AM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: eyrie]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
If it's not too much of a derail, I found this video pretty interesting (the top/down camera shots of body movement):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8XMWG4Leo

Shimada sensei states that "Ritsuzen (standing meditation) is 80% on the inside and 20% on the outside."

#323076 - 02/22/07 06:38 PM Re: Help with Qi/Ki........ [Re: harlan]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

I dunno harlan.... I feel Shimada is... TOO "external". For comparison, have a look at this video and tell me what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZdtM5p6ZkA&mode=related&search=

And while you're at it, you might want to casually ask your teacher about Toumei na Chikara...

Page 2 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 ... 21 22 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga