FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 9
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#322736 - 02/16/07 10:05 PM Re: Tattoo [Re: Stormdragon]
RickMatz Offline

Prior to getting a tattoo in a language you can't read for yourself, it would be a good idea to pay a visit to:

http://www.hanzismatter.com

#322737 - 02/16/07 10:12 PM Re: Tattoo [Re: Crash]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Sup Crash, I should be leaving for Pattaya right now, but I figured 30 minutes of forum-ing won't hurt.

Sak-yant, did that before. On my right forearm. but you can't see it as I did it with holy oil, not ink. I did something called "maht tanu" or "arrow fist". Supposed to enchance striking power and go through any defense. Does it work? Sometimes.

Sak-yant are hard to keep them working. There are some rules that you can't break, if you do, the effects goes off. For example, if you have "Nai Kanomtom" on your back, when in times of danger, you'll have his skills. But if I was to throw my shoe on your head, the effects goes off. Thais are very superstitious when it comes to head and feet. It's considered a big taboo to touch someone head with your foot, that's why MT boxers kicks with their shins. Understand?

Some rules;
No touching of the head with feets or shoes.
No walking across the tattooed guy when he's lying down.
No desecration to the Lord Buddha.
No tampering with the sak-yants.
No consumption of animal flesh (for some)
No disrespect towards your parents.
And failure to uphold the 5 sin (not sins!), or buddhist rules will make the sak-yants powerless.

For example, my sak-yant is powerless because while I was driving on my bike, I drove under a bridge, and people were walking across it.

See why it's so hard to uphold Sak-yant's power?

Yants, or Yantra in pali, are very spiritual. Many boxers does them in belief they'll be able to last until the end of their careers. Imagine having weekly fights and hard training regime. It's better to get less injured, than to get healed slowly.

Sak-yants can be made in ink or oil. Depends on what the wearer likes. I've only done maht tanu on my right fore-arm. My uncle did Hanuman on his back, leaping tiger on his chest, maht tanu on both forearms and a turtle on his neck. Thanks god it was with oil and not ink.

So Crash, are you part Asian? I never heard of a Buddhist white boy before except Richard Gere.

-Taison out

#322738 - 02/16/07 10:45 PM Re: Tattoo [Re: BuDoc]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

In any case, no one sees them unless I want them to.

Why have them then?

#322739 - 02/16/07 10:58 PM Re: Tattoo [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
For you to see them?

#322740 - 02/17/07 03:58 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Quote:

In any case, no one sees them unless I want them to.

Why have them then?

To those who are not into, or do not understand tattooing as a form of expression, the act seems to be purely about the physical ink in the skin, and so it is presumed that it serves a purely aesthetic function.
This is the equivalent to a guy in the street thinking we all do MA so we can beat people up better. Over simplification based on ignorance.

Tattooing has been with us as a species for thousands of years. It is prevalent in every culture, often as a right of passage, or as a way of tribal identification.

the largest and most detailed tattoo I have is my backpiece, yet will never actually see it, and I do not walk around shirtless in the summer, so very few others see it either. It is not there for any other reason that it means something to me- something much deeper than 'hey look at me and all my tattoos'. All I can say is that I have always been tattooed, but its only in the last 8 years that they have been visible.

The act of being inked is as important as what it leaves on your skin. There is a ritualistic aspect to it, though it is not religious, and the bond you make with the tattooist is strong. It is a mutual act of trust. You trust them with your body, and they entrust to you a piece of themselves in their art.

The tattoo community is, by and large, made up of some of the friendliest, most creative and non judgemental people you could ever hope to meet. you never see a tattooed person criticising an un-inked person for their choice. Nor would a tattooed boss discriminate against a tattooless job candidate.

I remember a girl in a bar saying to me 'god you will look awful on the beach when you are old' as a criticism of my choice to be tattooed. I looked right at her and pointed out 'so will you'. she did not have an answer.

A tattoo has to have meaning to you as the collector, either the image or the event that the tat represents. Getting a tat to illicit reaction in others is shallow, and all shallow motives are fleeting- not a good mix with the permanence of ink in skin.

#322741 - 02/17/07 06:27 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: Cord]
grumbleweed Offline

<<or as a way of tribal identification.....There is a ritualistic aspect to it,>>

LoL, I just got sh*t faced on Sea Dragon road Patong Beach, Phuket and got my black panther on my upper arm...... ....then i found out i couldn't go swimming in the ocean for a week or so after

i was sober enough not to attempt this.....is taison tough enough to have one and be a bangkok motorcycle taxi driver (just kidding)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYZa3SEKgsQ

#322742 - 02/17/07 08:26 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: grumbleweed]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

LoL, I just got sh*t faced on Sea Dragon road Patong Beach, Phuket and got my black panther on my upper arm......

Right. And I bet every time you see or think of your tattoo, it evokes that day in your mind. I bet you can tell me the view from the tattoo shop window, what kind of beer you had been drinking, who you were with, and lots of other memories that are ingrained as deep as the pigment in your skin.
every tattoo tells a story.

#322743 - 02/17/07 10:32 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: Cord]
grumbleweed Offline

absolutly, vivid memories for life (my 2 tatts, i have a love/hate thing for them )

This was its first public exposure about 2 months later at the shooting range just outside Phnom Penh, what better way could i show it off posing with a loaded AK-47?

#322744 - 02/17/07 01:57 PM Re: Tattoo [Re: grumbleweed]
motobusmonkey Offline

Loc: St Louis
This is my right arm. The pictures are shakey, it is kind of difficult to take pictures of your dominant arm. The piece on my forearm was based on a Horiyoshi tattoo. I finished this about 2.5-3 years ago.

#322745 - 02/17/07 02:26 PM Re: Tattoo [Re: motobusmonkey]
Cord Offline
Prolific

That looks like some fine work you got there moto

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga