FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#322706 - 02/16/07 06:26 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: Taison]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

So every tattoo is more or less a story right? I'm not really good with tattoo history, I'm more of a newbie fan, just getting into it.

not every tattoo, but in japanese tattooing certain images have certain meanings. for example a dragon can symbolise wealth, or protection from fire, whilst a carp symbolises strength and protection in general. Oni (demons) are traditionaly associated with jealousy.cherry blossoms with the fleeting nature of existence. tortoise with longevity, but can also be used in regard to sexual symbolism. When you see those awesome all covering japanese body pieces, sometimes they are an amalgamation of symbolism that is personal to the 'wearer', and sometimes they are graphical representations of japanese folk lore stories, the theme of which is of significance to the 'wearer'.
Its the same with polynesian tattoo work- the placement and designs used have different meaning, and some relate to lineage and family, so get expanded on with time.
Even western tattoos can have meaning. Swallows are linked with sailors as 'a swallows flight' is an old nautical measurement of distance. Depictions of the crucifiction on the back and chest were a common way for sailors to avoid flogging, as it would be sacrelidge to damage the image of christ.

Thats not to say there is no validity to getting ink based purely on the fact that you love the image, and it means something to you, but its always better to know a bit about something that will change your body for life IMO.

#322707 - 02/16/07 08:41 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: Cord]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Depictions of the crucifiction on the back and chest were a common way for sailors to avoid flogging, as it would be sacrelidge to damage the image of christ.

so much for 'graven images'.

#322708 - 02/16/07 10:57 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: Taison]
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Taison, good advice so far, do alot of research and soul searching before you get inked, one book I highly recommend for "newbies" as you mentioned to the tattoo world is "The Tattoo Encyclopedia" by Greg James. It's a general guide to the meaning and history of lot's of tattoo's here's the book
http://www.amazon.com/Tattoo-Encyclopedi...TF8&s=books

however this website has alot of the information from the book too

http://www.tattoosymbol.com/

And you mention japanese work, you might enjoy this site, it's one of my favorites, some of the japanese meanings are explained and the artwork is done by Horiyoshi-3 One of the best and most well known japanese tattoo artists in the world.

http://www.irezumi.us/eg/index.html

hope this helps!

#322709 - 02/16/07 11:16 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: Crash]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Crash, you've just changed my mind.

http://www.irezumi.us/eg/tora.html

I'm going for something like this. Hopefully, they'll be able to make it a white tiger. Not the same design, but similar.

That site is fascinating. I like irezumi, it's awesome.

I've always considered myself a white-tiger. It's a play on the word "White Thai". Thais worship tigers and identifies themselves with tigers. Me being half-caucasian, which thus makes me a "white tiger".

-Taison out

#322710 - 02/16/07 11:18 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: Taison]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
Just understand that white is the hardest color to do. They have to grind it in several times over to keep your natural skin color from showing through. Very painful, from what I'm told. (all of mine are black ink only)

#322711 - 02/16/07 11:21 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: Zombie Zero]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

I hope it'll hurt.

Don't forget, I'm a sadist. I <3 pain.

-Taison out

#322712 - 02/16/07 11:22 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: Taison]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

I'd love to get one but I'm really afraid of not getting a job since there's this rumour they'll deny due to these pieces of artwork

It obviously depends on what they want to look at (and able to see, without a full strip) during the job interview. If you are thinking of joining the Yakuza, it is a distinct advantage.

I dislike tattoos and feel that it shows a character flaw in a person. Just my own prejudices & hang-ups. Since it will be very unlikely that you'll be interviewed by me for a job, well, do what you like with your body or parts thereof.

#322713 - 02/16/07 11:27 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Well, the only jobs I'll be getting is probably white-collar jobs. You know, teacher, business man, consultant, PR, guide, ambassador?

It'd be like hell if I got one only to know my whole future and education was thrown down the toilet because of having a picture on your body.

Well, I mean, I wouldn't tattoo myself so everyone could see, but I am scared they'll ask "you got a tattoo? where? show me".

Oh, and happy chinese new year!

-Taison out

Edited by Taison (02/16/07 11:33 AM)

#322714 - 02/16/07 11:48 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: Taison]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Soon as possible I'm getting a nice big yin-yang symbol somewhere, either upper arm, or maybe the back, and possibly with the Tiger on one Side and dRagon o nthe other. The yin-yang has a huge amount of philosophical significance to me and The Japanese Tiger (my nickname is The Tiger however the Bear would be almsot a better fit but oh well I'm known for the Tiger now and it still fits) and Dragon represent some of my qualities and some qualities that I am always trying to develope better. they are the perfect combination to me. However I'm not totally sure on that yet for the animal symbols too.
When I go into the Marine Corps I'm getting the insignia on one upper arm as well with the American and USMC flags by each other, Semper Fidelis under or on part of thee banner on the insignia, and USMC on some part.

Zombie-those tattos are so friggin awesome. Any story behind them?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#322715 - 02/16/07 11:55 AM Re: Tattoo [Re: Stormdragon]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

You do know, having a tiger on one arm, and a dragon on the other is a symbol of Hong Kong mafia, right?

-Taison out

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga