FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Troy7785, wakita, swisztony, Tonybb, shelly1993
22920 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
Bartfast 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22920 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#320691 - 02/06/07 01:43 AM Questions about Shin Conditioning for Muay Thai
Loden Offline
Stranger

I am a new poster here and also new to the art of Muay Thai. I have lurked here for the better part of 4 months and have read a lot of things about Muay Thai. I recently have taken to kicking a heavy bag. My shins hurt a lot for days after, I have read that some people condition their shins with rolling pins or bottles, and I have also heard some people say that method is dangerous. Is there anyone that can shed light on what I can possibly do to make the pain less intense if I want to work on my kicks?

Thank you in advance.

#320692 - 02/06/07 02:22 AM Re: Questions about Shin Conditioning for Muay Tha [Re: Loden]
ashe_higgs Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: phoenix
defer to taison here, but my advice is;

you're kicking the bag too hard (for now).

you don't need a magic bullet or secret conditioning technique. the only secret is time.

build up to kicking the bag at your full power. over time your legs will develop better and better conditioning.

also, try thai pads. totally different feel than a bag.

remember, if you hurt yourself you can't train at all until you heal, so it's always better to stay just below your current limit, always pushing yourself but never going too far.

Edited by ashe_higgs (02/06/07 02:23 AM)

#320693 - 02/06/07 03:20 AM Re: Questions about Shin Conditioning for Muay Thai [Re: Loden]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
You're kicking too hard with wrong mechanics.

I'd recommend getting the mechanics of the kicks right first, and gradually build up the power on the bag. Don't worry, no one will view you as a sissy for kicking weakly. I do that all the time and when people laugh I kick them in the leg and ask if that was weak. Then again, I'm a macho man, so I don't recommend you doing that.

Back to the subject at hand;

No there's no secret technique to condition your shin except kicking the bag. Rolling stuff on your shins will "silence" the nerves there but also makes your shin bones brittle after pro-longed conditioning. Just kick the bag is enough. If it hurts, stop. Don't overdo it and enjoy training.

Another thing you could do is to massage "boxing ligament" on your legs before kicking. The massage will heaten your muscles up and makes your legs more relaxed. I don't know if it does reduces the pain or not because I don't feel anything down there but you could try.

Do you train at a gym?

-Taison out

#320694 - 02/06/07 04:00 AM Re: Questions about Shin Conditioning for Muay Tha [Re: Taison]
Loden Offline
Stranger

I definately appreciate your prompt reply Taison. I just started training last week and I train at a gym here from a guy who has been teaching MT for over 15 years and has some high certification (one of 10 in the world or so I hear from him). I just learned how to do the Thai Round kick. I go over to the GYM after class and kick a heavy bag at my university and after about 40 kicks my shins get very sore and I go home and ice my legs. I imagine this is normal, right?

For some reason my right leg hurts more than my left leg, this is probably due to kicking harder but I will give a rough account of my knowledge of the Thai round kick.

I am right handed so I stand with my left leg forward and I square up with the bag. I step forward with my left leg, pivot on the ball of my feet and swing my right shin in to the bag, very similarly to a baseball bat I keep my left hand up and drop my right hand while all this is happening.

This is correct?

I will look into the boxing liniment, do you recommend a certain type?

#320695 - 02/06/07 07:23 AM Re: Questions about Shin Conditioning for Muay Tha [Re: Loden]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Ok sorry for my English. Boxing Liniment. Not ligament. Laugh out loud.

Yup, you're doing the roundhouse quite by the book. Would be wonders if you put up a video or something. I could help you by giving you some pointers if I had some visual aid.

40 kicks? Yeah, your legs should be sore after that. Just remember, after kicking, massage your leg towards your heart to get the blood flowing back and not just to the legs. A secret of thai massage!

Oh another pointer; twist your hips when kicking. Put those hips into action.

Boxing liniment? Hmm, I don't know the brands over there, but if it was Thailand I'd stick to "Boxing Liniment" or "Rambo".

Have fun, and feel free to ask if you need more help.

-Taison out

#320696 - 02/06/07 12:17 PM Re: Questions about Shin Conditioning for Muay Tha [Re: Taison]
ashe_higgs Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: phoenix
taison, maybe you should make this a sticky, since it seems to come up a bit?

also, if you're stateside, zheng gu shuai is a pretty decent liniment.

#320697 - 02/27/07 11:02 PM Re: Questions about Shin Conditioning for Muay Tha [Re: ashe_higgs]
Skullkrusher Offline

I just started training last month and stumbled across this site. Thanks for the tips on shin conditioning. I bought a heavy bag for the house to practice, and stupid me launched into it with my shin after it was set up when I was taking it much easier in classes. I will definitely make sure I wear my pads and take it easier until they toughen up.

#320698 - 03/06/07 03:36 PM Re: Questions about Shin Conditioning for Muay Tha [Re: Skullkrusher]
govt_issued Offline

Loc: Zambia, Africa
Well it looks like I'm not the only one pretty new to MT around here.

In the Marines, (we have our own martial arts for that we have to learn whether we like it or not, and it's really just a mut of a lot of different sorts) They make us practice "body hardening" Now I'm definitely sure that the Corps did not invent this strategy but its really quite effective, but extremely painful starting. When I summarize what we do I'm by no means giving advice to anyone so please no one go break your little brothers arm.

Anyways, we basically are forced to kick, punch, forearm strike, and knee eachother and just stand there and take it, in certain nerve areas. Radial, perennial, oloner (sp?) etc. And after all this time the nerves are basically dead. We don't however do this for the shins, or whatever the scientific name for the nerve area there would be. Probably because we do a sh!tload of running. A lot more than we should and in a lot of ways that a physiologist would want to retired after seeing, and because of this a lot of Marines already have serious shin splints.

Now I may be new to MT, but not to fighting in general, and I've seen some ugly consequences of other peoples "good ideas" that would make most people want to quit fighting all together. My favorite example I can't find right now but you've all probably seen it before anyways. It's a video with a kickboxer who throws a kick and his shin breaks all the way in half, and when he steps back on it, he just collapses under him and all you see his his leg bent evenly in three different places.

I sort of went off on my own little tangent but the gist of what I'm trying to say is listen to the more experienced fighters around here, and don't try anything that sounds too weird with out asking these fine folks here for a second opinion.

#320699 - 03/07/07 12:36 AM Re: Questions about Shin Conditioning for Muay Tha [Re: govt_issued]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Quote:

Anyways, we basically are forced to kick, punch, forearm strike, and knee eachother and just stand there and take it, in certain nerve areas

I tried to incorporate this into my training to get used to being hit. I'd stand there in with my arms around my neck, and my friend would kick me in the shin, thigh and the stomach each 10 times. Then he'd punch me in the chest and rib areas.

DO KNOW; it was not full force. We started lightly at first and moved up little by little every week. It is not to injure myself, it was to make me used to getting hit.

So far? Hits doesn't surprise me much, but other than that, I haven't noticed much change.

-Taison out

#320700 - 03/07/07 05:57 AM Re: Questions about Shin Conditioning for Muay Tha [Re: Taison]
govt_issued Offline

Loc: Zambia, Africa
Quote:

I tried to incorporate this into my training to get used to being hit. I'd stand there in with my arms around my neck, and my friend would kick me in the shin, thigh and the stomach each 10 times. Then he'd punch me in the chest and rib areas.

DO KNOW; it was not full force. We started lightly at first and moved up little by little every week. It is not to injure myself, it was to make me used to getting hit.

So far? Hits doesn't surprise me much, but other than that, I haven't noticed much change.

-Taison out

As much as I hated this sort of training there were some very noticeable results for me. Yes, it's definitely a gradual progression in force especially when one of your target areas is the inner thigh and you don't want to get kicked in the sack by your angry partner who you thought it would be funny to go extra hard on last round. I may have seen different results than you because we only target very sensitive areas and you seem to be targeting very common areas of being hit, and probably already used to being hit in. I'm no expert on body hardening, but I can definitely say its one of the least enjoyable body conditioning exercises when done in 2 minute intervals on each target area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga