FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 26 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#320102 - 02/03/07 05:36 AM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zanaffar]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Me and Nick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4j9OVt8e74

I have just upgraded to broadband, so can armchair quarterback from home for the very first time!

OK. the guy you a fighting here drops his guard badly when he throws his kicks. They also dont seem to bother you that much when they land. my advice would be to give him an opening for a roundhouse, he will take it (seems to like doing them), and as he throws mid range, throw one yourself aimed at his chin. It will land, and you will feel much better about yourself

I understand perfectly the 'forced' environment of sparring. It feels horrible hitting someone who does not 'deserve it', but look at it this way, your oponent doesn't feel that way, he is going at you, yet you remain intact and smiling, and come back week after week to throwdown. With no headguards, and lighter gloves, Chuck liddell knocks people unconscious, then they give an interview 3 mins later. Stay sensible, but do not be scared to unleash your 'fists of fury' a little
I actually let myself get hit a couple of times at the start of sparring just to get a little adrenaline in my system, and to put the message in my brain that its ok to hit this guy back. Do unto others as it were.

There is nothing wrong with fighting 'defensively', but rushing backward when charged gives him momentum, and compromises your balance. If he charges in, hold your ground and counter (strikes hurt much more if you run into them), or move lateraly so that his linear force works against him, and you can pick your counter when he is off balance.

On the plus side, you seem to have a heavy kick, and by the last 30 seconds he had obviously rattled your cage and when you decided to get stuck in, he didnt look very happy at all

#320103 - 02/03/07 09:35 AM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zanaffar]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Zanaffar -

First, props for manning up with the vids!

I agree with Cord overall re: the first vid. I would be much more aggressive with the guy. Low kicks WILL stop his advancing and allow you to set the tempo. Follow those with some hand combos to bridge the gap. If you are really worried about hurting people, get inside and clinch to takedown. That way you can maximise your aggression without needlessly injuring your partners.

JMO.

I like the clinch/takedown stuff you guys do. it adds a good element to the sparring. I would say learn some groundfighting if you get a chance, it would be a good addition, too.

Edited by MattJ (02/03/07 11:43 AM)

#320104 - 02/03/07 09:43 AM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zanaffar]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Where are you located? Is it that there is not access to a 'qualified instructor' or no funds?

#320105 - 02/03/07 11:42 AM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Saisho]
NewJitsu Offline

Loc: Midlands, UK
Yes, so many opening for a takedown or O Goshi. There must be some club near you you could train at? BJJ, JJ, Judo..? Something to add to your striking?

#320106 - 02/03/07 12:43 PM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: NewJitsu]
Zanaffar Offline
The Iron Curtain

Trust me when I tell you guys this: Bucknell University is in the middle of Nowhere, USA. The closest "Martial Arts" school is approximately 50 miles away, and none of us have transportation.

Thanks for the various tips you guys had provided. As far as the comment about him having rattled my cage by the last 30 seconds, I would agree that by the amount of shots he lands to my head/face it would seem so. However, shots to my noggin don't actually bother me. As long as they don't knock me out, I won't do much more than tilt my head a little with the shot. High pain tolerance and all that (I found this little tidbit out when a sparring buddy of mine went a bit too aggressive and started hooking me in the face full force... this resulted in one of his wrists breaking and me not feeling any of the face shots till about 2 days later) which allows me to not really have my "cage rattled" unless I'm knocked out or something breaks.

Also, concerning grappling instruction, I will be getting formal training during the summer in Judo and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. So, ground game is a future endeavor... I'm going to try to avoid, as much as possible, learning bad habits through my Ghetto-Made-Up Ryu Jitsu by trying to AVOID the ground as much as possible.

Once again, thanks for all the feedback guys! I appreciate it.

#320107 - 02/03/07 03:05 PM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zanaffar]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
I should qualify- 'rattling your cage' merely refers to the fact that he landed enough to inspire a bit of aggression in you, I was not suggesting that you were hurt or in trouble, just that you finally seemed to 'get into it' with a bit more conviction, and from there he was clearly at a disadvantage.

#320108 - 02/03/07 03:10 PM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Cord]
Zanaffar Offline
The Iron Curtain

In that case, I suppose he needs to rattle my cage a bit more often! I'll block a couple punches with my face next time to "inspire" me a bit. : D Thanks for the clarification.

#320109 - 02/03/07 05:46 PM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zanaffar]
ashe_higgs Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: phoenix
a lot of the problems you guys are having could be worked out through the use of focus mits, belly pads and thai pads. it adds many of the elements of free sparring, such as range and timing, while keeping both parties a lot safer.

#320110 - 02/03/07 06:00 PM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: ashe_higgs]
dmsdc Offline

OK - one of the things I found that helped me was to set little goals for myself:
I'm only going to circle to my left and use that movement to set up my defense and deal with whatever comes.

I'm going to setup every entry by first hitting a limb hard enough to distract.

I'm going to finish every exchange with an elbow tap.

Cool decisiveness is what you need for this environment. Try not to think of being "agressive" or "defensive" because they're the same thing really. Either way you're dealing with force. So decide ahead of time the kinds of force you want to transfer out and the kinds you want to focus on turning or distrupting.
Then while he's fighting for his life -- you're focusing in on an aspect of your training. If something isn't going well you'll get instant negative feedback - if things are going well then your buddy will step out of the round early in frustration.

So I'd suggest that the next time he comes swinging for your head with his favorite right arm - hit the right arm hard enough to make him want to not use it. Then you'll get to see what his left arm looks like.

Same with his favorite left round-house. You know he'll throw it if you slide to your left, so when he does you can:
jam it the first time
step behind it the second time for a take-down
step into his centerline the third time to bounce him away with open hand shove to his chest.

I know there's a little bit of "and then" in what I wrote - but for me - setting up little training goals and tasks during fighting helps me break it down into concrete elements I can work on instead of just working "on fighting".

#320111 - 02/06/07 01:31 AM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: dmsdc]
ashe_higgs Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: phoenix
dana,
nice post but maybe a bit advanced for these guys.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga