FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 8
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
ergees 2
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#320092 - 02/02/07 11:20 PM Clips of my club sparring
Zanaffar Offline
The Iron Curtain

We just took a couple of videos of what our club does. We are a sparring club at Bucknell University. We do not have formal instruction that goes on in the club, but, instead, we just get together for some medium - hard contact sparring.

I am only in the first clip, the kid in the blue shirt. I have an extremely timid demeanor whenever I spar because of past experiences where I've seriously hurt people. Being timid and defensive, however, has not helped me get better at all... So.. any and all tips would be appreciated. I'm all ears for criticism.

Me and Nick
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4j9OVt8e74

Nick and Jason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iu2h9Yl5jpA

Jason and Zorro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYLM7brwEQ8

If this is in the wrong forum, please move it. Thanks and looking forward to any and all feedback. RIP IN TO ME GUYS!

#320093 - 02/02/07 11:32 PM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zanaffar]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
As a striker, I liked the first video.

There was a part where you locked your buddy's arm, but let go... You could have used the leverage to drive him to the mat, and take back mount.

Thanks for sharing!

#320094 - 02/02/07 11:46 PM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zombie Zero]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Here's what I saw, after reviewing the video:

0:28 You had an arm lock and could have driven him to the mat.

1:53 He lost his balance for a fraction of a second. Look for that, and take the 'killer instinct'

2:37 Step through, Hip Toss!

That's my armchair quarterback analysis.

Great work, Zanaffar!

#320095 - 02/02/07 11:54 PM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zombie Zero]
Zanaffar Offline
The Iron Curtain

"Killer instinct"... it's something I need MAAAJOR help with. For some reason or another, I just CAN'T bring myself to go on the offensive if I'm not angry. Sounds silly, I know... but it seems to be the major prerequisite for me to spar aggressively... anger.

Okay... so what do I do about that? I don't want to hurt my sparring partner, so I stay calm, defensive, and look for opportunities. One of the benefits of this is that it's helping me learn my defensive game... but the downside is that I am much MUCH better on the offensive... and always have been. But, that always ends up in injury (very rarely my own).

It's cool and all practicing your defensive game, but my buddy here is someone who swings to take your head off... every single time. His only concern is his own well being (my concern is his); he treats sparring matches with me much like a real fight - that's his spirit and demeanor. I think this is an excellent practice to cultivate his fighting spirit for real world defense, but is it counterproductive in sparring?

Should I ask my buddy not to treat each sparring match as a life/death situation? Or should I adjust my own sparring style to fit his (this has a high percentage of resulting in injury)? Your wisdom is very welcome!

#320096 - 02/03/07 12:05 AM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zanaffar]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Quote:

but it seems to be the major prerequisite for me to spar aggressively... anger

NO! Don't spar OR fight with anger! Anger will take control away from you. Lose control, lose the fight.

I get what you're saying. You don't want to hurt your friend. That's noble. But when sparring, you have to forget he's your friend.

What is sparring? Preparing to defend yourself against someone who wants to cause you serious harm.

So don't prepare yourself to spar your friend. Prepare yourself to defend yourself against someone who wants you dead.

Of course, maintain control so you don't hurt your training partner.

Remember, if you're taking it easy on your training partner, you're also taking it easy on yourself.

#320097 - 02/03/07 12:15 AM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zombie Zero]
Zanaffar Offline
The Iron Curtain

Bah... I always feel like I'm gonna injure my partner when I go on the offensive. Freaking mental block! Maybe the answer is sparring against robot criminal aliens on death row so that I don't have to feel bad about putting down the hurt? Sounds plausible to me.

Regardless, when my buddy clocks me full force to my face, it's difficult to respond with CONTROLLED offense, so I just end up responding with more PASSIVE defense. Seems to me that the only plausible response against him clocking me full force on the face would be to... clock back harder and faster... until he stops moving.

That sure sounds like a unsportsman-like course of action.

Another thing that I talked to my sparring buddies about is this: I think I feel so bad about going full contact with my sparring partners is because I am the party responsible for their safety since I am basically the person in charge of the club. That responsibility sucks... I feel that if there was a qualified instructor watching over us, I'd have much fewer qualms about going full out. Any thoughts on this or am I overcomplicatiing it for myself?

#320098 - 02/03/07 12:23 AM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zombie Zero]
ashe_higgs Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: phoenix
i wouldn't worry so much about being aggressive. although pressing the attack can be very effective, even cro cop fights moving backward more than half the time.

sparring isn't about winning anyway, it's another training exercise. just work on your timing and finding your range, whether your moving forward, backward or laterally.

respex for posting some clips btw.

#320099 - 02/03/07 12:25 AM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: ashe_higgs]
Zanaffar Offline
The Iron Curtain

I agree that sparring isn't about winning! I wish my buddy would have the same mindset... I think our sparring sessions could be much more constructive if he thought of it as a means to better his game instead of trying to obliterate me.

#320100 - 02/03/07 12:30 AM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zanaffar]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Quote:

I feel that if there was a qualified instructor watching over us, I'd have much fewer qualms about going full out.

Wait a minute... You DON'T have a qualified instructor watching you?

STOP_STOP_STOP

Why doesn't your club have a qualified instructor?

#320101 - 02/03/07 12:35 AM Re: Clips of my club sparring [Re: Zombie Zero]
Zanaffar Offline
The Iron Curtain

Because we get together to spar and fool around; this as close to qualified martial arts training that we can get around where we reside. It sucks, I know! This is our ONLY alternative.

You see, I have instructor rank in Tae Kwon Do... but as we all know, having rank in Tae Kwon Do does not a fighter make. So... I am an instructor of sorts? Maybe? I can tell when people are going ape-[censored] and are going to result in hurting each other. I step in in those occasions and break the match up.

Which is why I'm so concerned about how to improve my own game. I realize that it will most probably result in injury.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga