FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 11
cxt 6
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Yesterday at 01:18 PM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432448 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#318685 - 01/28/07 08:40 PM Gracie Diet
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
Has anyone ever tried the Gracie Diet??

This was developed by 50 years of trial and error by Carlos Gracie Sr. and practiced and advocated by Helio and many members of the Gracie Family.

Upon study, it appears to be an alkaline diet in which foods are combined in a specific manner. All foods are grouped into 7 groups and only certain foods combine at any given time. For instance, oranges must be eaten alone, milk can only be eaten with a starch and never with meat, etc.
etc.

Some of the quirks of the diet is that it really doesn't eliminate any food except any pork product or canned or bottled juice and soda. You can eat just about anything else as long as it is in the proper combination. Obviously they prefer that what you eat be fresh fruits and vegetables and cheeses.

Also the diaet advocates only three (3) meals per day, instead of the modern idea of 5-6. No portion control just eat until you feel full but not stuffed.

Also a curious note is that you should space your 3 meals 4 1/2 hours appart to insure proper digestion.
Now from a medical view point there is nothing really wrong with this type of diet, however it does fly in the face of the modern 5-6 small meal a day theory.

So is there creedence to this diet?? Well Carlos lived to a ripe old age, and Helio is still kicking at 90+. All of Helios sons (Rorion, Relson,Rickson, Royce) supposedly adhere to this diet as well as Carlos Sr's sons.

This may be prone to question though, as I find it hard to swallow(Ha Ha ) that the "fighters" in the family don't use more modern eating schedules and supplementation which is clearly contrary to the idea that if you follow the diets parameters you will have a long, healthy,strong, active life.

I guess what I'm looking for here is any feedback you nutition-wise folks might have before I consider plunging into this thing.

I am young and very fit and healthy and wouldn't do myself any harm testing this on myself for a few months (proponents say you will feel major differences in 2 weeks),
I'm just wondering if there will be any benefit??

Thanks to any and all for your advice.

Page

#318686 - 01/28/07 09:14 PM Re: Gracie Diet [Re: BuDoc]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I have no knowledge of the Gracie diet per se, but I found this interesting:

Quote:

milk can only be eaten with a starch and never with meat

Isn't that Jewish Kosher dietary law? I wonder if that law had any basis in nutrition or is it just coincidence. Oddly enough, I have never liked creamy sauces on meat.

#318687 - 01/28/07 11:40 PM Re: Gracie Diet [Re: BuDoc]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Helio also stated that a component of his long life and health is that he never has sex except for procreation.

#318688 - 01/29/07 12:01 AM Re: Gracie Diet [Re: JoelM]
BuDoc Offline
The doctor will see you now

Loc: USA and Abroad
Hey man, I'm just interested in the diet!!

I'm not going to make that big of a lifestyle change!

Page

#318689 - 01/29/07 05:15 AM Re: Gracie Diet [Re: MattJ]
tuxette Offline

Loc: Norway
I was also wondering the same thing, as you can't eat pork either...

#318690 - 01/29/07 05:36 AM Re: Gracie Diet [Re: BuDoc]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
If the eating plan does not exclude many foods, nor devide nutrients in such a way as to have 'carb days' and 'protein days' like you dont need each 24/7 ( ), then it just sounds like a recommendation of eating 3 balanced meals a day.
Dairy and meat are both sources of proteins and fats- having one or another, rather than both together will not harm the nutrient content of your meal, if anything, it will promote lower total fat intake, and prevent 'protein overkill' that is so prevalent in today's dietary 'wisdom'.

As for the the 'eat 6 times a day' method, i have yet to be convinced that this is the answer we should all be aiming for. I have had people thrive on it, others find it frustrating and impractical for their lives, and others plain uncomfortable as they always feel they have food 'sloshing around' in their gut all the time.

For those it works for (especialy in respect to fat loss), the fact that it is preached that each meal should be smaller and nutrient rich leads to greater care being taken in the quality of what is eaten, and portions reigned in to be in balance with their requirements. If they had done this over a 3 meal day, they would probably have the same results- they just needed the change to focus on positive eating habits.

Far more important IMO and IME, is timing of eating, not frequency of eating. Those who start the day with a hearty breakfast, and end it with a light (and not late) evening meal do much better on the whole, than the cultural shift that has turned the evening meal into the main focal point of our nutritional day. The World is full of people putting fuel in their gas tanks at the end of their journeys- completely wrong.

Everyone is different. I eat twice a day- big early breakfast, substantial afternoon meal, anywhere between 3 and 5 pm. Thats it. It works for me, it may be wrong for you.

The Gracie diet is not dangerous, or quirky, or even particularly unusual. 3 balanced meals a day, eat till you are satisfied, but not stuffed, concentrate on simple combinations of unprocessed foods.
Best advice a 'diet plan' has given in some time as far as i am concerned.

#318691 - 02/06/07 12:57 PM Re: Gracie Diet [Re: Cord]
Crash Offline
Buckle up!

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Quote:

Those who start the day with a hearty breakfast, and end it with a light (and not late) evening meal do much better on the whole, than the cultural shift that has turned the evening meal into the main focal point of our nutritional day. The World is full of people putting fuel in their gas tanks at the end of their journeys- completely wrong.

This is what I try to do. Big breakfast, medium sized lunch, small supper. And mabey a snack like a protein shake or cottage cheese after supper. It's kind of tough to fit in 6 meals a day for me, I'm not saying it doesn't work, it just doesn't always work for me.

#318692 - 08/21/08 02:46 PM Re: Gracie Diet [Re: Crash]
shadowfox87 Offline
Stranger

Just wondering, does anyone know the reason why the Gracie diet does not include pork and derivatives? Also btw, Helio Gracie is now 95+.

#318693 - 08/21/08 04:03 PM St. Louis boxing and mma gym - gracie diet [Re: BuDoc]
janxspirit Offline

Quote:

Has anyone ever tried the Gracie Diet??

This was developed by 50 years of trial and error by Carlos Gracie Sr. and practiced and advocated by Helio and many members of the Gracie Family.

Upon study, it appears to be an alkaline diet in which foods are combined in a specific manner. All foods are grouped into 7 groups and only certain foods combine at any given time. For instance, oranges must be eaten alone, milk can only be eaten with a starch and never with meat, etc.
etc.

Some of the quirks of the diet is that it really doesn't eliminate any food except any pork product or canned or bottled juice and soda. You can eat just about anything else as long as it is in the proper combination. Obviously they prefer that what you eat be fresh fruits and vegetables and cheeses.

Also the diaet advocates only three (3) meals per day, instead of the modern idea of 5-6. No portion control just eat until you feel full but not stuffed.

Also a curious note is that you should space your 3 meals 4 1/2 hours appart to insure proper digestion.
Now from a medical view point there is nothing really wrong with this type of diet, however it does fly in the face of the modern 5-6 small meal a day theory.

So is there creedence to this diet?? Well Carlos lived to a ripe old age, and Helio is still kicking at 90+. All of Helios sons (Rorion, Relson,Rickson, Royce) supposedly adhere to this diet as well as Carlos Sr's sons.

This may be prone to question though, as I find it hard to swallow(Ha Ha ) that the "fighters" in the family don't use more modern eating schedules and supplementation which is clearly contrary to the idea that if you follow the diets parameters you will have a long, healthy,strong, active life.

I guess what I'm looking for here is any feedback you nutition-wise folks might have before I consider plunging into this thing.

I am young and very fit and healthy and wouldn't do myself any harm testing this on myself for a few months (proponents say you will feel major differences in 2 weeks),
I'm just wondering if there will be any benefit??

Thanks to any and all for your advice.

Page

I'd like to try it sometime. The idea of avoiding fermentation in the gastro intestinal tract is an interesting one.

#318694 - 10/30/08 07:17 PM Gracie Diet [Re: janxspirit]
vanguard Offline

Loc: Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines
The Gracie Diet is designed for Martial Artists while the 5-6 small meals a day is designed for bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts.

Martial Artists do a great deal of cardio, strength training, and practices everyday and needs tremendous amount of energy. Martial Artists aren't that concerned about how they look or how defined their muscles are, or at least it's not just their primary concern. Hence, eating much more than the usual is just normal. This is where most people tend to get confused, eat more in lesser intervals or eat less frequently? The answer will depend as to what your goal is and you mode of training. The amount of food intake and the level and intensity of exercise must be proportional.

But of course, to live a healthy lifestyle and to keep the body to it's peak condition, a healthy and balanced diet is still heavily required.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga