FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#318421 - 02/04/07 12:59 AM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: MattJ]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Yes I saw, Scott did some good destructions. I'm just saying, for me that I am not so great using the front kick as a check for kicks. My JKD is not as advance, I prefer my shins, knees and elbows. But because I have spent several years doing it the competitive (sports) way, I would simply avoid the kick altogether and then immediately counter with my own attack, before the attackers kicking leg touches the floor.
Vinci

#318422 - 02/05/07 02:01 AM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: TeK9]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Blocking a kick is usually pretty easy. Most people dont kick properly,even after years of practice. However, this still gives the opponent range. Instead aim to stop the attacks with the elbows, or counter and get close.

#318423 - 02/06/07 02:56 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: Abluemoon]
switchfoot Offline

Loc: FL
I just use my forearms. For front snap kick, I put both of my forearms together horizontally and push down. Side kick and spinning-back-kick I just jump to the side out of the way and get a quick point on them with a quick roundhouse with their guard down. Most other kicks, I just jump out of the way like spinning roundhouse and axe kick because almost nobody at my level (high yellow) almost nobody throws a quick one of those kicks I just mentioned.

And I am not allowed to block with my knee/shin. I guess that's because my school is about the sport/tournament side of the art. Which I think sucks. It should be a little bit of both.

#318424 - 02/07/07 12:42 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: switchfoot]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
If you block a push kick with your forearms, how does it help? A push kick isn't exactly a kick that does damage it's just a push. By blocking it you still can't stop it's purpose, unless the person kicking you is completely powerless or really under your weight level.

Push kick is one of those extremely annoying kicks, it's used to create space or to stop you in your tracks.

Hmmm strange I didn't know it was illegal to shin block, I am pretty sure you can, jsut be careful, at the higher levels even if you shin block it could hurt both you and the kicker if you clash shins, even with pads, especially with those thin pads.

For the record though, when I ask someone about whether they would block a kick, I am really saying would you block a kick from someone who is a really good kicker. Usually someone at black belt level in any style of TKD should be a great kicker.
Vinci

#318425 - 02/07/07 01:04 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: TeK9]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
It also depends on the kick. If it is a roundhouse, crescent, or some other arcing kick, I may step in and try to check or block it before it builds up speed or power. I may try to block it if I think it cant move me or if I think I can not get out of the way in time. Other kicks, I will probably avoid all together. I will not attempt to block a straight back kick, a hook kick, or a spinning hook,heel, or wheel kick. I will duck under, push kick, or check those techniques but I will not try to block them. If done well, regardless of how you try to block them, they will still move you and probably still hurt the blocking surface you use.

Body momentum and proper mechanics can build a huge amount of speed and power. I am not sure how much logic there is in standing in front of something coming around like a baseball bat.

Just a thought.

Scottie

#318426 - 02/07/07 03:58 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: TeK9]
Umbra_777 Offline

Quote:

If you block a push kick with your forearms, how does it help? A push kick isn't exactly a kick that does damage it's just a push. By blocking it you still can't stop it's purpose, unless the person kicking you is completely powerless or really under your weight level.

Push kick is one of those extremely annoying kicks, it's used to create space or to stop you in your tracks.

Hmmm strange I didn't know it was illegal to shin block, I am pretty sure you can, jsut be careful, at the higher levels even if you shin block it could hurt both you and the kicker if you clash shins, even with pads, especially with those thin pads.

For the record though, when I ask someone about whether they would block a kick, I am really saying would you block a kick from someone who is a really good kicker. Usually someone at black belt level in any style of TKD should be a great kicker.

I asked about shin blocks (in WTF) and what they said was this:
Technicly it is illegal to cause intentional contanct with their legs and yours (perhaps because it is illegal to kick the legs). However, it's practicly impossible to inforce because you could have just been chambering for a kick when they attacked.

#318427 - 02/07/07 11:37 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: Umbra_777]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Blocking kicks really is no different than blocking anything else, except the power issues. Some kicks are just eaier to deal with than others.Its much easier to block a quick Mawashi Geri than it is to stop a strong stiff sidekick. At least for me. Many people who can kick with correct form lack the conviction a good kick requires in my opinion. This is rampant in TKD, even I use to be guilty of it. If your roundhouse is being stopped by a handslap block, it isnt correct. If your ax kick is being blocked by an x block type motion as many of you here have stated in other threads, then it isnt a good axe kick.

To make a good kick, IMO, theres certain elements to look at. First, directional committment. A kick should almost always be used as a stop hit as the opponent approaches or attacks. When your opponent moves his feet he has made a committment to move. This is a great moment to attack.

Second is timing. If your kick is a half second off it will not hit or hit with the effect you want. This must be worked with good footwork.

I think the most important part after that is torque. The kick should start at the foot,leg and THEN the waist, not directly from the waist, or just from the strength of the leg.

When your kicking your throwing a lot of weight and using a lot of muscle and energy. Theres no reason anyone should be able to block it. If you kick the only two options that should be available to the opponent are move or be damaged. If he blocks, it should destroy his block.

#318428 - 02/08/07 07:06 AM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: TeK9]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Being of MT training, I block kicks by chambering my knee and pinching down with my elbow and let my hand cover my face. Much like a wall.

But I only block when I'm in orthodox. When I'm in southpaw, I will instictively intercept and do ashi-barai, or heel sweep with my lead leg. This got stuck from Judo and karate sparring.

When I do intercept, I will tuck my head in between my shoulders, my right hand grabs the kick, and my lead foot sweeps. And rarely does anyone escape my intercept. I go in like a train, even if it is a fake kick, or try to do double kicks, you'll fall down. Very Judo'ish.

But my orthodox side relies heavily on blocking or back-sway. Sometimes I move my upper body out of the line of attack and return the favor with my own chambered rear-leg roundhouse. Ouch. .

-Taison out

#318429 - 02/09/07 01:13 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: Chen Zen]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Do any of you use a palm heel block? I have seen it used in Shotokan and Wado Ryu, and I am pretty sure I seen a demo of it on a TKD website once. It is v useful against front kicks if a person has good timing, or there opponents kick is slow.

#318430 - 02/09/07 01:50 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: Prizewriter]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I've seen it and trained a little on it but from my experience, a kick will destroy a hand any day. I wouldn't discount using it but it would be more from reaction as if I had a level head I would more then likely either jam the kick but moving in on my opponent or move out of range by shooting backwards or moving off on angle to the sides.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga