FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
Matakiant 1
ergees 1
William_Bent 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#318411 - 01/26/07 10:55 PM Blocking kicks
Abluemoon Offline

How do TKD people block other people kicks? I do TKD as will and I Chmaber my knee and block with my shinn(If you have not train them don't block with them) if it is a roundhouse. For Front kick I use a push kick to kick away the leg like Wing Tsung guy but you have to be fast with it. SideKick I go out of the way but I have learn away to block a sidekick in Shorin ryu.

#318412 - 01/26/07 11:13 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: Abluemoon]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
I use my forearms. In fact, whenever I see a TKDer's forearms after a sparring session, they're usually a bit purple.

I used to block sidekicks by raising my knee, but I'd end up getting my butt kicked off. I also used to block with open hands, but getting my thumb snagged was never fun either.

#318413 - 01/27/07 12:02 AM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: Abluemoon]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I don't usually block kicks, I tend to avoid them and then immediately counter with a kick of my own, but this is mainly do to my Olympic style training. This is usually done at mid to long range fighting. If I wanted to counter with my hands with punches or strikes, then I would probably use my shins or knees to block telegraphed kicks.

There are other methods I've learned, such as smothering the kick before it really gets a chance to extend. Such has low blocking the inner thigh when a person attempts a front or round kick, I say the INNER THIGH, because you must be real close to jam the kick from there, and immediately reverse punch either the chest or the face. Jamming the kick in this fashion along with the quick attack knocks the opponent off balance. This technique is done in competition often and is one of the very few hand techniques that work in Olympic TKD competition.
Vinci

#318414 - 01/27/07 02:27 AM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: TeK9]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
I block kicks with elbows and knees. If it is a high round kick, I use my elbow to cover and usually, they kick into it. After about two of these, they usually do not want to throw round kicks anymore. Mid to Lower kicks, I chamber the knee and pinch the elbow down on top.

If I can time it, sometimes I will middle knuckle strike the foot on the roundhouse kick as I side step. Even if it hits the bottom of the foot, you would be surprised how effective it is in deterring a second or third kick. I do not do this with friends but in some competitions, I have been known to test my opponent's inner toughness so to speak. Makes you think about your own kick selection too.

Scottie

#318415 - 01/31/07 02:52 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: RazorFoot]
GriffyGriff Offline
Good Egg,

Loc: Earth
Like RazorFoot,

If the kick is reasonably close range I block with my shins and forearm by raising my knee high and wedging my elbow to the outside of my knee, fist pointing upwards.

I am in the process of experimenting with attacking with a raised knee (similar to Muy Thai). From that position you can use the momentum gained to do all sorts of nice things.

If it is a longer range kick I sometimes scoop the outside of the leg and add a little more rotational energy to it, to disrupt the attacker's balance. Or slam the kick to the ground.

If the incomming kick is linear, then I somtimes Stop-Hit the attacker with a faster side kick to the chest (TKD says No to kicking below the waist ). I must admit though that sometimes even though I beat the guy to the kick, his kick can sometimes deflect off the lower side of my leg and I get kicked in the balls, which is character-building.

Cheers
GriffyGriff

#318416 - 02/01/07 12:28 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: GriffyGriff]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

All I have to say is if you block my kick when I am wearing shoes, you will feel pain. Whether you use your hands, knees, shins, or elbows. I kick with bad intentions. I don't know why other arts under estimate the power of kicks, especially when the legs are 3 to 4 times capable of generating more power than the arms. I've been on the receiving end of some powerful kicks by 30 and 40 year olds and I can say that I would never block a kick if I had the option of dodging it. I prefer to avoid mid to long range kicks. A good TKDist has many kicks up their sleeve, avoid one kick and prepare for the next, try and block or parry the attack in order to off balance the kicker and they will only compensate with additional kicks. Perhaps the technique may work against a more traditional style which deals more with hands, but against a kicker...not likely. The legs can be swung like bats and now with the snap being used they are more like eskrima sticks, they can sting as well.
Vinci

#318417 - 02/01/07 05:18 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: TeK9]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
For blocking kicks, I want to either avoid the kick all together, that works for long range kicks; check the kick with my own front kick, works for mid range kicks; or jam the kick and rush in with punches, which works when one is dealing with a slower kicker or often against roundhouse/turning kicks. Blocking a kick is a last option, and I simply let it hit my forearms in the guard position, or lift my shin up to check it.

When blocking kicks generally, it's best to block as quickly as possible and as near the joint around which the kick is coming from- normally the hip. That is just simple physics- moments and such. In most cases though, a punch to the face will stop any kick from completing with power, and you can use a flurry of punches or a push forward with the fist to take someone off balance.

Quote:

A good TKDist has many kicks up their sleeve, avoid one kick and prepare for the next, try and block or parry the attack in order to off balance the kicker and they will only compensate with additional kicks.

IMO if you are able to successfully parry a kick, then it is very unlikely the attacker could kick again. A parry involves unbalancing the opponent precisely so that they cannot throw another technique. Examples are something like a circular block in ITF TKD, basically scooping the leg as it comes in. The trouble with such parries, is that they are risky, I would avoid parrying and stick to avoidance or jamming, simply because there is less chance of the kick connecting. parrying is very difficult to do effectively with a high percentage.

#318418 - 02/01/07 06:08 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: Supremor]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

But when you talk about jamming you must be within mid to close range in order to do that, you can't just run in on a good kicker. The only way to be successful with that is if your facing a slow kicking, in which case that person has no reason to be kicking if they are so slow they are telegraphing.

As far as checking kicks with front kicks of my own like it is so popularly demonstrated in wing chun schools, I've never been able to pull that off. I have done it in practice but am not good enough to successfully try them in a real situation, I have however, pushed kick opponents which doesn't attack the kick, but the oppoenents entire body which is their base; this knocks them off balance.

I feel the reason why I cannot check kicks with a kick of my own is perhaps because the kickers whom I practice with are just to fast.

I can block kicks at close to mid range with my shins, knees, and elbows, but I generally prefer to dodge attacks then counter attack with my own.
Vinci

#318419 - 02/02/07 04:28 AM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: TeK9]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I don't know much about the wing chun system of checking kicks, however I have found that by just pushing a front kick out, you effectively stop most kicks from connecting with any power. That is what I meant by checking a kick, rather than aiming for the kick per se, that I would find very difficult, however, just be creating a physical barrier like an extended front kick, it makes it very difficult to get a kick in. Perhaps that is the same as what your pushing kick is, I would certainly compare the front kick I use to the pusing kick in muay thai, rather than a snap kick.

Quote:

But when you talk about jamming you must be within mid to close range in order to do that, you can't just run in on a good kicker. The only way to be successful with that is if your facing a slow kicking, in which case that person has no reason to be kicking if they are so slow they are telegraphing.

I agree to a certain extent with that. It is certainly not a good idea to just rush in on a kicker immediatly, however, as has been demonstrated in many mma fights, it is possible to time some kicks, especially roundhouse ones, and rush in on them. I have found that if I rush in just as someone is throwing a kick, I can generally cause enough trouble with my hands, that the kicker is no longer balanced enough to throw a solid kick. The kick may still connect, but it's not going to have much power, because I've put the person off balance.

#318420 - 02/02/07 12:08 PM Re: Blocking kicks [Re: TeK9]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Tek -

Checking kicks, while it can be difficult, is not impossible. Check this video at 0:56 to see Razor use it in action. It does need to be well timed, though. Note Razor's use of elbows and shins, as well as his footwork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NjG7NBRq90

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga