FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#318204 - 01/27/07 07:09 PM Re: Which came first: kata or bunkai [Re: CVV]
Unsu Offline

Loc: San Antone, Tejas
Yes I agree with you totally too. I think you felt as though my use of "self-preservation" meant only fighting techs. Au contraire, self-preservation also entails the health aspects and other supplementary benefits of good kata training. They also serve to "preserve" ones self. Peace and good take...

#318205 - 01/27/07 08:33 PM Re: Which came first: kata or bunkai [Re: Unsu]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Unsu:

I thought I said that already

Jeff

#318206 - 01/27/07 09:36 PM Re: Which came first: kata or bunkai [Re: harlan]
haze Offline
Dragon

Loc: Syracuse NY USA
Has to be bunkai, How in the world would you create a kata and then try to figure out how you could use the moves? As stated previously in this thread, kata is a packaged version of various techniques. It is just a way to organize things into a way that can be used to pass the techniques on. Also a way to practice techiques with out a partner.

#318207 - 01/28/07 12:42 AM Re: Which came first: kata or bunkai [Re: Ronin1966]
Unsu Offline

Loc: San Antone, Tejas
Quote:

Hello Harlan:

The application had to come first... here's why.

The movements were not invented in a vaccum. Invented strictly to tell the next person shown "...here's how I stopped him/her..." and here are the movements I used...

When it becomes a teaching tool.... examining the movements with 5, 20, 50, 10,000 other people, sizes, temperments, refinements, modifications, nuances will likely be found...

Do not believe the movements came first as why would they be invented ?

Jeff

You said what I said first? Really? Where? Anyway I didn't even read all of the other responses, just the initial question and some of the responses. I think with the exception of Victor we all pretty much said the same thing anyway. So I see what you're saying.

I think Victor is saying that the concept of bunkai was really emphasized once American servicemen started learning karate on Okinawa in the 1960s and 1970s. Many only had a few years to train and needed to know why they were doing what they were doing so that they could convey that message to future students. The applications have always been there. Those old Shotokan clips showed that. Maybe Americans have less patience or creativity or both, and wanted concrete answers to pseudo-esoteric training right then.

Nowadays people have gone bunkai crazy, especially in Europe. If you do the kata, the drills, hojo undo, the kihon waza and spar with reasonable contact and resistance for many years, then these things are revealed without the emphasis on bunkai. There often is no cut-and-dry answer for why kata is the way it is. It just works if you are doing the forms in as pure and logical method as possible. Exaggerated movements, unsound principles, not understanding that kata and fighting are different things, makes kata training almost useless. That is the way that many karate-ka approached kata training until recently when folks like me started questioning the methods of so-called karate types. This includes everyone from Elvis to Fred Ettish.

That's why John Kogas and the many of the RBSD and MMAs types say what they say about classical training. They have no proof that karate really works, in their opinion. It's a valid opinion. Most karate-ka couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag, especially if they had to use their karate training to do so. I do know that.

But what these flavor-of-the-month martial sports types fail to recognize is that Bill Wallace, Chuck Norris, Mike Stone, Joe Lewis, Benny Urquidez, Gene LeBell, Dan Inosanto and even Bruce Lee were classically trained. There are many more to add to that list, but I don't have all night to prove I'm right again . Nowadays arguably the best striker in "MMA" is Chuck Liddell a Koeikan Karate and Hawaiian Kempo black belt. They always point to his wrestling experience, but he would tell you himself the training he had sparring in those "karate" styles made him the striker he is today (along with the unorganized neighborhood boxing matches he partook in as a kid).

Do these combat sports guys realize that even the Gracies are classically trained? Do they really think that all these journeyman wrestlers didn't have to learn kickboxing which came from classical arts like Muay Boran and Okinawan karate kumite in order not to punch like some caveman or little girl?

Not a one of them will ever equal a Chuck Norris or Joe Lewis, because they don't have kata in their repertoire, and they don't have BB level traditional training under their belt. They strive for fame and success, dedicate a lot of their time to one thing, RBSD and/or MMAs, and they still are no more than journeyman with unoriginal concepts, mid-level knowledge, excessive training and what I call "jockriderosis". They will never be Bruce or Royce because people like Bruce had a good combo of the old and new.

Oh boy, sorry for the rant, but I despise shortsighted know-it-alls who know nothing of true martial ARTS.

KATA, KATA, KATA!!!

#318208 - 01/28/07 02:47 AM Re: Which came first: kata or bunkai [Re: Unsu]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Bryan you need to cool it with the direct negative comments to other forum members please,

make your points politely or not at all please.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#318209 - 01/29/07 09:32 AM Re: Which came first: kata or bunkai [Re: Ed_Morris]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

...got anything more difficult harlan?

Yeah, which came first, the bull or the BS.

#318210 - 01/29/07 09:55 AM Re: Which came first: kata or bunkai [Re: haze]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

Has to be bunkai, How in the world would you create a kata and then try to figure out how you could use the moves?

...by watching different animals fighting and imitating the moves (primeval kata?) and THEN figure out how those killing moves can be used on other humans? So the "moves" came first?

#318211 - 01/29/07 09:56 AM Re: Which came first: kata or bunkai [Re: ButterflyPalm]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Hmmm...know any animals that perform armbars? Better yet...I only see 'horse' stances in kata. Where do the kicks come in?

#318212 - 01/29/07 02:35 PM Re: Which came first: kata or bunkai [Re: harlan]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Bunkai becuase without practical and directly app;icable combat techniques you have no basis around which to develope kata, and the movements become meaningless; nothing more than a dance. It is an irrefutable fact that you can develope effective fighting skills without kata. Here look at this "Wow, this is an interesting and cool looking arm movement, I think I'll throw it in, it must be good for osmething practical."
Didn't happen, or else Kata would be called Japanese Ballet.

Edited by Stormdragon (01/29/07 02:37 PM)
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#318213 - 01/29/07 04:18 PM Re: Which came first: kata or bunkai [Re: Stormdragon]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
taken literally Victor is 'right' on this one, kata before bunkai (the analysis of kata).

I guess it leads to the question what is kata then, my off the cuff awnser is as follows -

kata, is the method chosen by a past masters of karate to deliver the principles of their fighting art to the next generation, and it takes a life time to unfold all its secrets.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga