FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#316727 - 01/24/07 02:39 AM Re: A sword at last! [Re: hedkikr]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
International competition: (2 different big ponds)

TKD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJINTL2dGRA

Karate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtTzOC6OsvM

#316728 - 01/24/07 10:08 AM Re: A sword at last! [Re: hedkikr]
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hey Laura

I'll admit that I don't have extensive knowledge of TKD Kata but I have seen them performed at the World games a couple of times. When you posted your vids, I assumed that the belt you were wearing represented a low Kyu grade and didn't realise that it was a senior division.

As you know from previous postings, I recommend competing as a method of development. It takes you outside your comfort zone and can simply be great fun.

Comments (Hopefully constructive)

Kata
In a horse stance I understand that you may prefer to have your feet turned out but in yours the knees aren't in alignment with your feet. I'd suggest you eithr widen the knees or narrow the stance to work for you.

In your punches, you need to adjust the alignment of your wrist. On some punches it seems to be bent downwards which is poor form and if you develop it into a habit, it'll hurt when you punch someone.

It wasn't just the side kick that was poor, the roundhouses were as well. They didn't get far enough around to either be effective or show correct form. I think this is because you're not rotating your hips/body with the kick and that's tending to hold your legs back.

(I'll also admit that I don't find TKD forms particularly aesthetically pleasing, hey I'm into karate so what would you expect, but what's with all the up and down squatting!!)

Sparring
Aside from the technical problems in your sparring, you need to work on a number of issues relating to sparring.

Basic Movement - Your current movement is slow and fairly stagnent. It needs to be lighter and when you do move, more dynamic. There was no commitment to moving in any way that would create opportunities to throw techniques.

Distance - You appear to have little appreciation of sparring distance. Either to establish it, move inside it, or maintain it. I suggest you work on the basic movement first and then start applying it to an understanding of distance.

Timing - You currently do not have any. The techniques that you threw were done so without regard as to whether they would hit or where your opponent was or where they were going to be when your technique arrives.

Tempo - There was no variation. You established a speed at which you were going to do the sparring (pretty slow) and kept it throughout. To be effective you should work on changing the tempo of the sparring.

Where I train and where I trained before in London, we welcome visitors to our club. WE ask them to wear their own belt whatever that may be. If you walked into my club on a sparring night with a senior belt on, given the limited nature of the vids posted, you'd be given a severely hard time by the mid Kyu grades. I say this not to upset you or denigrate what you're doing in any way, but to suggest as others have done, that you look at other clubs in the area to expand your comparison.

You have the guts (and yes it takes that) to both enter competition and to post the vids on the web. I have no doubt you'll have a similar attitude to taking advice.

#316729 - 01/24/07 10:45 AM Re: A sword at last! [Re: BrianS]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
Quote:

How long have you practiced this pattern?

I started working on this pattern about a year ago, but I've been working heavily on my highest pattern, Chung-mu, for the last 6 months or so. I chose to do Hwa-rang because my foot was bothering me and I didn't feel that the jump 360 and flying side kick would be very good for it.

Quote:

the only practical advice I can give is that you should watch your weight.

Must be the camera My weight hasn't changed significantly in months although that is one of my biggest focuses right now. I used to weigh over 300 lbs when I first started tkd, so the 220 I'm at right now is still pretty good. I've been able to maintain that weight for a couple of years now, and am now just getting to the point where that doesn't feel good to me. I train 5 nights a week for an hour or an hour and a half depending on the night, and I'm usually drenched and exhausted by the time I'm done, plus horseback riding on the weekends (weather permitting).

Quote:

1. More work on developing leg strength and flexibility would go a long way.

2. More work on your balance and stability would be crucial to making further progress.

I agree completely, and this is also something I've been working very hard on. I did several months of physical therapy for my ankle which I still do at home, and which has improved my balance significantly. When I first started doing side kicks in my patterns, I actually fell over several times because I had no strength whatsoever in that ankle. As for stretching, I have really good front kick flexibility, but crappy side kick/turning kick flexibility. I'm making progress, but its not nearly as fast as I'd like. however, if you look at my previous videos that I've posted, you should be able to see some difference. At least I can.

Quote:

A sword @ last!" says very clearly that you were proud of your accomplishment - I don't believe that you don't care (win or lose).

Yes I am proud, but I wouldn't have been upset if I had lost, I know, because I loose a lot. It feels good to win, but I'm not there to win, I'm there to have fun, and try to learn something at the same time. I've competed for grand champion at least 4 times prior and not won.

Quote:

Their best students also put me to shame. It's too bad you haven seen beyond your cloistered world. But if you had, I'm certain you would have felt cheated by your instructor for having you believe he was a "master".

Please be careful. First off, you don't know my instructor or his abilities or any of the other students at my school, and its unfair to mcdojo my school just because of one students performance. My instructors abilities far exceed mine, and makes even our best students look like beginners. Those students who are higher ranked than I am are also significantly better than I am as I expect it to be.

Quote:

BTW: If your instructor was so great, he should be giving all the advice you need to improve.

Who said he hadn't? In truth, he was the center ref, and not only did we discuss the match briefly right after the competition, but we've sat down and watched the video together and discussed it quite a bit. I posted because I had fun, made progress, and thought I would share it with others with the same passion. Plus since I've talked about this opponent on here before, I thought I'd share in case anyone was interested.

Quote:

The promoters make lots of money ("Hey, nice Lexus!") & the competitors get to become "Grand Champion" (Oooh!).

Hrm, I didn't see anyone driving a lexus, and frankly at this point, our organization is still new enough that we are still paying of the mats and computer equipment. Add in the cost of paying for the venue, medic, medals and trophies adds up very quickly. Not to mention, organizing and running a tournament takes months of preparation and tons of volunteer help to be successful.

Quote:

When you posted your vids, I assumed that the belt you were wearing represented a Kyu grade and didn't realise that it was the Black Belt division.

It was a red belt division, NOT a black belt division.

Quote:

It wasn't just the side kick that was poor, the roundhouses were as well. They didn't get far enough around to either be effective or show correct form. I think this is because you're not rotating your hips/body with the kick and that's tending to hold your legs back.

The turning kicks were supposed to be to the 45, not straight ahead, if that helps.

Quote:

In your punches, you need to adjust the alignment of your wrist. On some punches it seems to be bent downwards which is poor form and if you develop it into a habit, it'll hurt when you punch someone.

Can you give me a specific move where I'm doing this? Thanks. I'm having trouble spotting it on the video myself.

As for all of the other feedback, I thank you for taking your time and I will try my best to incorporate it into my training. Thank you.

Laura

#316730 - 01/24/07 11:33 AM Re: A sword at last! [Re: tkd_high_green]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
Appreciate your meta-feedback.

#316731 - 01/24/07 02:35 PM Re: A sword at last! [Re: tkd_high_green]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Laura, it's great you dropped 80 lbs. you need to lose another 80.
I think thats the main thing you'll find as a problem in your training. for instance, you'll never get those side kicks right until you get that big'ol'butt out of your own way.

uh-oh...did I just say that? lol j/k

#316732 - 01/24/07 02:57 PM Re: A sword at last! [Re: Ed_Morris]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Ed -

That was very rude. There were other, better ways to put that. Being truthful is not a license to be an ass.

#316733 - 01/24/07 03:03 PM Re: A sword at last! [Re: MattJ]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

yeah I know...it came out wrong so I changed it. sometimes humor doesn't always translate well....I grew up and hang with women that think 'fat-arse' jokes are funny.

#316734 - 01/24/07 03:12 PM Re: A sword at last! [Re: Ed_Morris]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Come on Ed! Those jokes might hold more merit if your sister wasn't a damned fine body builder.

As it was, you at least recognized a limit to your statements.

#316735 - 01/24/07 03:15 PM Re: A sword at last! [Re: Ed_Morris]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
Quote:

Laura, it's great you dropped 80 lbs. you need to lose another 80.

I agree completely, and that has always been my intention. It just takes time for your mental image of yourself to catch up with you. I don't know if you've ever lost a significant amount of weight, but for me, loosing those first 80 lbs was liberating, I could do things I had never been able to do. I'm wearing clothing 10 sizes less than before, and for a long time that was enough. I felt good, I was able to do everything I wanted to do, but I also had to learn how my body works again. My balance was badly affected (this was before I hurt my foot), I was straining muscles because I was flexing them past their limits which had previously been checked by my weight, etc. So I made the decision to stop loosing weight for a while, and to just maintain my weight as it was to give my body a chance to catch up. I have started to loose weight again, but I am taking it slower, so hopefully my body will be able to keep up with the changes without causing me injury at the same time. The good thing is that it has meant that I've been able to learn exactly what foods and quantities cause me to loose or gain weight.

Oh and Ed, no harm done on the weight comment, I can take a good hit, I have plenty of padding

Quote:

You seem like a person who thrives off of attention and praise

Nah, just feedback, good or bad as long as its constructive.

Laura

#316736 - 01/24/07 03:50 PM Re: A sword at last! [Re: tkd_high_green]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

good stuff. ...hey, no retaliations on my hairline! lol

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga