FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#316717 - 01/23/07 03:47 PM Re: A sword at last! [Re: butterfly]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
I was taking offense to the complete lack of constructive feedback and the implied insult to my school and instructor.

If you notice I did not get upset at Casey or Matts feedback because they gave me specific items I could work on, not just "you suck, your school sucks, your instructor sucks" etc.

Laura

#316718 - 01/23/07 03:50 PM Re: A sword at last! [Re: tkd_high_green]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

I suppose I should keep my mouth shut...but what the heck. Your constructive criticism sucks. Rather than insulting my performance, my instructors teaching ability, and the quality of every black belt in my school, not to mention every other school in the area, maybe you should just focus on indicating areas in which I need to work and ways to do so, as other people have. Of course if that is the way your instructor talks to you, then you might want to look at another school.

My constructive criticism does suck. I really don't know how to do it well. i'm just naturally abrasive. My instructor and I have been friends for a very long time. Any way he wants to talk to me or discipline me has been fine so far. He is pretty abrasive as well.

Quote:

Golly gee, I already know my sparring sucks. I lost didn't I? but then again, I'd like to see how you'd do against someone a foot taller than you, oh, and you're only allowed to kick with your right leg too.

If I find someone who is nearly 6'3" who wants to spar I'll let you know. I have sparred people much taller and heavier though,it's part of it. I'd train somewhere else if I had silly limitations like "right leg only" shi'ite.

Quote:

Now as for patterns, aside from the crappy side kick, and I will be the first to admit that it was crappy, but aside from that it was a damn fine pattern if I do say so myself. It was good enough to take grand champion, which means it was better than every other adult colored belt pattern at the tournament. Huh, dunno about you, but it sounds to me like my instructor must be doing something right.

If you are going to be shodan your basics should at least be sharp. Your "horse stance" was just as terrible as your kicks and I won't even get into the "sine wave" malarkey.

Grand champion means very little to me,just a title to keep you coming back to spend your money on "training". I hate tournaments for that reason and many others. They are just self grandizing BS centered around making money.

Quote:

I don't know about you Brian, but I bet there are things that those lower ranked than you can do better than you, and things you can do better than some of the higher ranked students at your school. Everyone is different, and judging a school based on three minutes of video of one student isn't exactly fair. There is nothing equal about rank even in the same school. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I would personally be just as happy being a green belt at another school as I am about testing for my black belt next week at my school

The hardest I was ever hit was by a greenbelt. Belts mean very little to me.

I know that everyone is different,but you put up the videos and did the bragging. Therefore you are open to the criticism.

I have not put any videos up and I hope I can someday, right now I just don't have the means to do so.

I can not do things better than any of the higher ranks at my school,but I do get your point.

I still suggest looking around at other schools.

#316719 - 01/23/07 04:07 PM The sparring [Re: tkd_high_green]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Lordy lordy.....

Laura,

You have got to keep your hands up!! Especially when you are pressing straight forward. Use your angles,set those kicks up don't just telegraph them from the jump!! Move your head more. Use feints, remember... low then high, use combos,move your feet!!

The guy you sparred totally sucked. He kept flinging his hands straight out when he threw what looked like should have been a kick of some sort. Kind of like his first day and they just threw him in there at the last minute. Hands were down the entire time!!! Punch the head like you mean it! Don't fling it out there without intention,ever!!

#316720 - 01/23/07 04:25 PM Re: A sword at last! [Re: BrianS]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Quote:

I'd train somewhere else if I had silly limitations like "right leg only" shi'ite.

Training somewhere else wouldn't change my ability to kick with my left leg. I injured my foot as a yellow belt, and it keeps getting re-injured just when its almost finally healed. Its taken months to regain any ability to balance and strength in that foot, and I physically cannot do more than tap something with the instep, nor do I really care to stick it out where someone else can whack it.

Quote:

Your "horse stance" was just as terrible as your kicks and I won't even get into the "sine wave" malarkey.

huh, in what way? I'm assuming you are referring to the first move in my pattern and not mistaking another move for it. My feet were the proper "shoulder width and a half apart" I agree that my feet were tilted out a bit, but then I don't agree that the feet should be straight forward, as I find it very hard on the knees. In what way do you think it needs improving? Constructive feed back means you indicate the "why its bad" and the "how to fix it" not just "its bad"

Quote:

Grand champion means very little to me,just a title to keep you coming back to spend your money on "training". I hate tournaments for that reason and many others. They are just self grandizing BS centered around making money.

I'm sorry you've had such bad experiences at tournaments. I compete because I enjoy it. I enjoy the competition and meeting new people and getting the opportunity to spar against other people. Win or loose it doesn't matter, but I can't help but feel good when I do well. Put me in a ring where several very well respected instructors are judging me on my performance and yes I feel good when they tell me I've done good.

Quote:

you put up the videos and did the bragging. Therefore you are open to the criticism.

As I mentioned before, I have no problem with criticism, I have a problem when its not constructive.

Quote:

I still suggest looking around at other schools.

I have looked, I not only know most of tkd instructors in the area, but most of them know me on a first name basis. One of the many benefits of going to tournaments and helping out. However, I have a fantastic instructor who knows how to teach, who I like and respect. who constantly pushes me to improve and challenges me. I'm not going anywhere else any time soon.

Laura

#316721 - 01/23/07 04:27 PM Re: The sparring [Re: BrianS]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Quote:

You have got to keep your hands up!! Especially when you are pressing straight forward. Use your angles,set those kicks up don't just telegraph them from the jump!! Move your head more. Use feints, remember... low then high, use combos,move your feet!!

The guy you sparred totally sucked. He kept flinging his hands straight out when he threw what looked like should have been a kick of some sort. Kind of like his first day and they just threw him in there at the last minute. Hands were down the entire time!!! Punch the head like you mean it! Don't fling it out there without intention,ever!!

See I knew you could do better This is what I was looking for in the way of feedback. btw its a she not a he. Thank you.

Laura

#316722 - 01/23/07 05:07 PM Re: A sword at last! [Re: tkd_high_green]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Laura,

It is hard to make constructive criticism based on your pattern. Every school teaches it different. Some stances are wider,lower,etc.. I can say that the transitions in movement were not crisp and the movements were robotic instead of flowing. Every move was seperated from the previous or the latter. You already recognize you need to work on your kicks,that's good.

How long have you practiced this pattern?

#316723 - 01/24/07 12:54 AM Re: A sword at last! [Re: tkd_high_green]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I didn't watch it all since I'm never really sure what TKD is all about from a technical standpoint. I just don't see anything in the Art useful to my studies.

but from a standpoint of clubs that I've seen where the main mission is to build confidence, self-esteem, character, etc ...I will say, you do seem to be building a whole lot of that!

ok seriously...the only practical advice I can give is that you should watch your weight. I remember 6 months or so ago you posted a video and it looks like you've grown a bit even from then. I'm not being mean, just honest. sometimes people have ailments and whatnot that prevents them from rigorous exercise...I understand that - even if thats the case, it's still sound and general advice to recommend trimming down if at all possible.

(ps. Reiki might be able to help you with the peace knot )

#316724 - 01/24/07 01:36 AM Re: The sparring [Re: tkd_high_green]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Hmmm.... after the tongue lashing Brian got... I thought maybe I should keep my mouth shut.... but I couldn't help myself....

First the obligatory niceties...

Very brave of you to put up your videos Laura... good effort.... er... keep working at it... really...

Now, the not so niceties...

1. More work on developing leg strength and flexibility would go a long way.

2. More work on your balance and stability would be crucial to making further progress.

3. Try not to over compensate your lack of power by using muscular force from the shoulders. Power comes from the hips, remember? But more importantly, from ground to hip... so losing contact with the ground at the moment you throw the punch out reduces your ability to generate power.... from the ground.

4. Get your guard up when sparring. When wearing body armor, it is easy to get complacent... until you cop a side kick in the chest... but you already know that... now.

5. Don't bounce around so much.... I know it's the done thing in TKD, but it's a waste of energy. Rather, wait for the opening. Use footwork more, and work the angles more. Find the opening, create the opening.

And now, the brutal truth...

I didn't watch the whole sparring videos... I couldn't bear to watch anymore. When I saw your form, I thought to myself, I hate to think what the other contestants were like... Sorry... but I'm with Brian on this.... and I thought he was actually being nice... by being brutally honest.

You know, he could have done the very Asian thing and praised you openly, whilst laughing behind your back....

#316725 - 01/24/07 01:48 AM Re: A sword at last! [Re: tkd_high_green]
Mr_Heretik Offline
Veteran

Loc: Bronx NY, USA
I think it'd be good to work on your counters. Instead of letting them strike you, and then you strike back, try to work on your timing so you can intercept them instead of blocking and giving them a chance to back away.

Whenever your opponent did a hopping kick, her arms would fling out to the sides and leave her wide open, which you could have taken advantage of.

#316726 - 01/24/07 02:10 AM Re: A sword at last! [Re: tkd_high_green]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
I think that this forum is a great source of info, feedback & discussion. Posting your vid w/ the tag-line "A sword @ last!" says very clearly that you were proud of your accomplishment - I don't believe that you don't care (win or lose).

Competition can be a good thing if it's used as a training tool (getting out of your small pond to compare yourself w/ & learn from others in a bigger pond) but the whole thing has gotten out of control. The promoters make lots of money ("Hey, nice Lexus!") & the competitors get to become "Grand Champion" (Oooh!).

I have to agree that within your big pond, the competition is a very low quality product. The girl that beat you in sparring was comprable to 6 or 7 Kyu in my school. Not trying to be harsh but it's true. And by default, if your instructor isn't able to recognize this, all of his students will fail to reach higher than mediocrity.

I've known & trained under many "masters" (they are Sensei or known by their 1st names - I won't name-drop but butterfly & ed morris know who) whose abilities far exceed mine. Their best students also put me to shame. It's too bad you haven seen beyond your cloistered world. But if you had, I'm certain you would have felt cheated by your instructor for having you believe he was a "master".

I guess that's what you get from budo-in-a-box teaching systems.

BTW: If your instructor was so great, he should be giving all the advice you need to improve. In truth, what can we tell from a vid clip other than generalities?

But to your credit, I believe your heart is in the right place. Keep training & don't give up. Maybe you'll eventually break-out of your microcosm.

owari

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Supremor, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga