FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#316144 - 01/21/07 05:24 PM Re: Kicking from a back stance [Re: Chen Zen]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
savate type kick?, the purring kick??

#316145 - 01/22/07 12:51 PM Re: Kicking from a back stance [Re: Abluemoon]
Barad Offline

Hard to get much power into a lead leg kick from back stance IMHO, although it is possible to produce a front or sidekick that looks ok. I guess if your target is groin or inside knees, power matters less as the points are sensitive but still not my ideal stance for kicking.

B

#316146 - 01/22/07 04:45 PM Re: Kicking from a back stance [Re: Ogoun]
Zanaffar Offline
The Iron Curtain

Quote:

Trust the instruction you are getting; with time it will make more sense to you.

I disagree 100%! Instead of blindly trusting the instruction you're getting, question all the instruction you're getting. Never take any techniques taught to you at face value. Ask your instructor how these techniques apply to fighting as a whole!

#316147 - 01/23/07 02:53 PM Re: Kicking from a back stance [Re: Abluemoon]
charlie Offline

Loc: woking, surrey,uk
A good kicker should be able to kick from any where.

nothing wrong kicking from back stance - it's classic karate - found in numerous kata - eg Heian Yondan (kokustu dachi - back stance, kakiwaki uke - wedging block and then mae geri - front kick)

it might seem strange to some people - however in some traditional arts they do - do thier kicks from strange places - for example in ITF patterns like won hyo, yul guk etc they kick from a bending ready stance (standing on one leg with the other chambered at the knee in a forearm gaarding block) some might say this is also odd.

however im sure it has its uses - (see Stuart Anslows chang hon ITF applications book)

p.s - i study ITF as well as shotokan.

#316148 - 01/24/07 06:57 PM Re: Kicking from a back stance [Re: Abluemoon]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
Isshinryu doesn't REALLY have a back stance. OK, in one of our katas (two if you count the sai version) there IS one instance of a back stance, but I've never seen any other applications of it.

HOWEVER, oddly enough, I deliver my best kick from it when sparring. Called a scoop kick, it's a side/back kick delivered with the front leg, and it can be delivered with power from as close as 10 inches away.

#316149 - 01/25/07 01:23 AM Re: Kicking from a back stance [Re: charlie]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
technically correct, a fighter should kick from anywhere BUT I'll bet that the kick you launch while you taking a shower will be less effective than if you're firm-footed.

The back stance (I'm assuming that you're referring to the Shotokan version) is a defensive stance that can use the stored energy of the bent back leg to launch a gyaku-tsuki (Reverse punch) following a block.

http://www.thejks.com/Docs/kokutsu.pdf

I kick w/ the front leg will be minimally effective because of the weight disrtibution (70% back/ 30% front). Your kick will have the effect of pushing yourself back from your opponent. If you have a 50/50 weight distribution as you launch your kick, it's easy to shift the rear 50% forward to add inertia to the kick (either front or back leg).

Use the back leg you say? I don't think so. First, the back foot is 90 degrees to the side & therefore can't spring you forward.

Charlie, I suggest you try it a few times or better yet, fight w/ it. It's just plain poor body mechanics. As I said initially, I wouldn't do it (but if I HAD TO, I'd do my best)

owari

#316150 - 01/25/07 08:05 AM Re: Kicking from a back stance [Re: charlie]
Barad Offline

Charlie,

In Heian Yondan, you are kicking from the rear leg not the lead, a very different proposition allowing you to produce much more power than from the lead leg, which I maintain is hard to do effectively. It is a bit easier from neko ashi, whcih is what Shotokan's kokutsu dachi used to be before they got obsessed with long stances and appearance over practicality. Which other kata can you name that kick lead leg kokutsu dachi? I can't think of any off hand...

B

#316151 - 01/25/07 11:49 AM Re: Kicking from a back stance [Re: Barad]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
Exactly. As a Shito-ryu practitioner w/ Shotokan training (way back when), I recognize the practicality of Nekoashi-dachi (cat stance) over Kokutsu-dachi in in all respects.

The Shito-ryu Kokutsu-dachi is a different animal. It's basically a long Zenkutsu-dachi (front stance) looking rearward - the final techniques of Pinan Godan. It's defensive application is to move away from an attacker behind you but it's offensive application is to deliver a rearward heal attack to the foot/shin. The only kicking application would be Ushiro-geri (back-kick) - a very difficult due to weight distribution.

#316152 - 01/25/07 10:18 PM Re: Kicking from a back stance [Re: Abluemoon]
IRKguy Offline

I may have a different idea of stances, but if you are doing a 70/30 back stance, your front leg kicks are faster than in a 50/50 walking stance. (I'm mixing TKD and Karate terminology to make as much sense as I can, since those seem to be your experience--the fractions are weight distributions, back leg first.) However, they are a lot faster and actually more powerful if you shift to a 95/5 cat stance just before the kick because you are moving your weight back and then throwing it forward. Your back leg front kicks will be tricky from a back stance. From a cat stance, they will be a little slower than in 50/50 but a lot more powerful, since you are moving your whole bodyweight. If you literally did a kick from back stance without shifting your weight, you would either fly in the direction of the kick or fall over.
I tend to think of stances as a set of fluid positions. If you try to chamber a front kick off the front leg, even from an upright walking stance, you're in the cat stance position for almost half a second. If you throw it off the back leg, you're in a hook stance for almost half a second. Both stances are just static representations and momentary positions in and of one movement. I would think you would train in those stances because you are executing directly from those stances. I can't imagine you would adopt them as a pose while fighting. You might be in a naihachi or horse stance for a second while jabbing, but you immediately cross in another stance. If you train in classical stances, as the theory goes, you will be in the right stance when you are full of adrenaline and all of your muscles are tight. You train in stances to get the technique right, not as an end in and of themselves.
I know this is a basic thing, but are you pivoting your support foot? It would be difficult to deliver the kicks and probably bad for your knee if you are not. Technically, you end up in another stance, but does the kick work?
You have to consider what the sensei is doing--in motion. Every blackbelt in your school probably has another approach toward learning what the head of the school is doing. Don't discount what they say, since it worked for them, but don't be discouraged by different people stressing different things on the way to do the same thing. Try to emulate the results. It is possible that the blackbelts are telling you what they are telling you just to teach you something about the body mechanics of the art. Once you understand the principle they are teaching you, you should be able to kick well from any position. The back stance thing might be a training exercise appropriate to your level in the school and not translatible to a principle that you always kick from back stance any more than being taught how to punch in front stance or horse stance is a law of self defense. Those punching drills are exercises in body dynamics. Of course, I'm saying this not having seen the school, but I can see why they might be doing what they are doing while the Sensei is silent on the issue.

#316153 - 01/27/07 08:47 AM Re: Kicking from a back stance [Re: Barad]
charlie Offline

Loc: woking, surrey,uk
Ok sorry guys - looks like i miss read the whole point of this post - my mind doesn't work so well lately!

i thought you meant something different! i thought you were talking about kicking from the rear leg in back stance - which we do in karate - and yes i do know heian yondan - i should do being a 4th dan in shotokan! infact heian yondan is one of my favorite katas. and no i can't think of hand of any katas that kick from lead leg in back stance although it is used in combinations (shuto uke - back stance, kizama mae geri, gohon nukite - front stance)

although i do maintain that a good kicker should be able to kick from any where - stance wise - i don't mean in the shower!!!!

i appologise for not reading it properly before posting - patience!

Charlie.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga