FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#315182 - 01/17/07 05:36 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: Supremor]
Dudley32 Offline
master of disaster

Loc: Indiana
Quote:

Guys, if you want to talk about WTF TKD, then start a thread. Don't sit on your bum waiting for some one else to come up with a topic for discussion.

But don't most people sit on their bums even when they are posting?

I do WTF taekwondo I suppose. My branch is mudokwan, but I compete wtf and our forms are wtf. The truth is... I just like to kick people.

MaTT

#315183 - 01/17/07 05:45 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: Dudley32]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Your style of TKD is Moo duk kwan? Do you have a lot of jumping/flying kicks in your style?
Vinci

#315184 - 01/18/07 05:48 AM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: tkd_dude]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
So, two or three threads dealing with ITF garbage and you WTF guys couldn't start your own? Do you need everyone else to do something for you?

Huh, these Olympic stars are just pampered prima donna's! I suppose you wouldn't go training unless someone else started the club!

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#315185 - 01/18/07 09:59 AM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: trevek]
chr1s Offline

Quote:

So, two or three threads dealing with ITF garbage and you WTF guys couldn't start your own? Do you need everyone else to do something for you?

Huh, these Olympic stars are just pampered prima donna's! I suppose you wouldn't go training unless someone else started the club!

Someone's mother didn't give them enough attention. Now back to topic...

I've done WTF for about 9 years now. Been to nationals several times and some other large tournaments. I amd currently part of a TKD club on my university campus that has members from WTF/ITF/ATA. We have instructors from each organization and do all styles of forms, all kinds of sparring, drills and exercises from each organization, etc.

#315186 - 01/20/07 05:00 AM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: chr1s]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
Quote:

Someone's mother didn't give them enough attention.

Ah, too true... mother sent me to Judo!

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#315187 - 01/24/07 01:12 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: trevek]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I didn't know there were more than 3 WTF TKD stylist left. Even when a topic was started, it quickly became ITF driven. I am willing to meet people half way, but sheesh, it seems ITF is trying to rename the same brand that everyone else uses.

In trying to make something korean, they've basically just renamed what was already generally used. I dunno but can they be sued for copy rights infringement, or plagerism or something. Unless there is a major change in a technique and I mean major, the name should remain.

This is something Herb Perez was talking about when Koreans claim that TKD is a 2000 year old art instead of just admitting that it is japanese karate. They create this huge lie and innocent people get confised and caught up in this myth. Instead what they should be proud of is the modern sport of TKD which infact is purely korean, even the techniques have been altered yet still have the same terms as the original Korean karate master. I think what changed about Korean arts was not the techniques so much, but the emphais of using the kicking techniques to a greater degree than other martial arts. Now with the new sport TKD you can see a definate change in the approach to kicking, so the techniques have changed they are more scientific and less traditional.
Vinci

#315188 - 01/24/07 07:26 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: TeK9]
halltzu Offline

Loc: chicago, il
i train in WTF TKD (and i'm brand new here - and was really happy to find this site ). and while i used to do some competition, it's not really my interest anymore (does that make me a wierd WTF'er?)... so while competition's great, i love to talk about anything not (necessarily) realted to competition.

#315189 - 01/24/07 08:25 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: TeK9]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

TeK9:

There is little doubt that Korean striking Arts have been greatly influenced by Japanese Karate, namely Shotokan. Some still practice it the way they were taught back in the 50s. Basically that is Korean Karate. I have no problem with that.
However, as the Art evolved both the ITF & WTF (KTA & Kukkiwon) took the Art down a different path. The 1st TKD book in English was written by Mr. Choi Hong Hi in 1965. he was at that time a retired Major General & former Ambassador. That 1st book closely followed his Shotokan roots. In 1972, his next book showed big differences, as did his 1983 Encylopedia & subsequent editions & condensed versions. To say that today's updated ITF is still Karate, well yes & no, All striking Arts have things in common. They also have things that set them apart.
What TKD is I leave up to others. I know what it is for me. Some look at it as an umbrella name for Korean striking Arts. Others look at it as something more specific to what they do. Both can be right.

From my inderstanding, the WTF & Kukkiwon have made changes as well, to make their style more Korean. I can not speak to that, at the same level I can with the ITF Chang Hon stlye of Taekwon-Do. Maybe others can. But what sets us apart from the Japanese Arts, is more than just terminology.

#315190 - 01/24/07 08:56 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: ITFunity]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

To make sure you understand me better ITFunity, I want you to know that I am only referring to the physical techniques and not the philosophy of TKD or it's cultural tradition. While I know TKD is made up of much more than just it's physical characteristics, it is these physical attributes that I feel Master Choi has in a way fabricated their creation. What I mean is, it's like claiming he created a whole new system of TKD when infact it looks exactly the same as any other art practiced at the time in Korea. The techniques are exactly the same but he changed the names to make them more Korean, how does this make them more Korean? because he claimed he created a better system than karate using karates very same techniques? No sir, to me he did not create a new system of martial arts, to me he created a curriculum; a new way to train in martial arts. While keeping those very same techniques that every other style in Korea was using.

What changes did he make? Does the forms make the system? Because his forms use the exact same techniques used in any other karate system, the only difference is the sequence in which they are performed. He added the sign wave, but is that mearely enough to claim a completely different from karate? One of the differences between karate and korean karate was the emphasis the Koreans used with their kicks, many claimed it was due to the indigenous martial arts of Korea, whether that is true or not, this was enough to create a new style of karate, Korean karate but still karate.

Also I disagree with the general asking other martial artist who called their art karate to change their arts name to Tae Kwon Do just to establish this new "Style" which is exactly the way it's been practiced for so many years, only the orderred in which things were introduced (curriculum) changed.

Like brazillion jiu-jitsu, it's still ju-jutsu the only major difference is that they place an emphasis on ground grappling. Small circle ju-jitsu is still ju-jitsu only it places an emphasis on finger and wrist locking, small limbs/targets of the body.

I see Tang Soo Do as classical Korean karate, and if the name change is in effect then I also see it as Tae Kwon Do but simply because the name change, but it is still the same art.

Like hapkido and daito ryu ju-jutsu, they are the same art, only the korean master decided to change the name in Korean, the only difference between those two arts is that hapkido has adopted more kicking techniques. A blend from the korean karate that was being taught in those days.
Vinci

#315191 - 01/25/07 01:50 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: halltzu]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

i train in WTF TKD (and i'm brand new here - and was really happy to find this site ). and while i used to do some competition, it's not really my interest anymore (does that make me a wierd WTF'er?)... so while competition's great, i love to talk about anything not (necessarily) realted to competition.

Welcome to the forum. I also train WTF and do not like to compete so don't. I'm not there for the competition as we are not sports orientated, I'm there for the skills and techniques that are taught. Yes we spar in class on set days once a week or so but if you go to those classes is up to you. Of course it is beneficial and it is manditory for testing that you be able to perform your requirements at each level.

Page 3 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14 15 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga