FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
AndyLA 1
Victor Smith 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#315192 - 01/25/07 04:52 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: Dereck]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Dereck

If your school is not sports orientated then why practice the kicks that were created for tournament sparring? Is it because they are part of the Olympic style Tkd and so its out of tradition? Because some kicks such as the nado ban or tornado kick are clearly good only for competition.
Vinci

#315193 - 01/25/07 05:25 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: TeK9]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
The school is not sports orientated but there is a junior fighting team and we even have a few adults that compete. We are also affiliated to 2 other schools plus a 3rd school joins us for testing; our 4 schools will have an interclub tournament 3 to 4 times a year.

Overall no, we are not sports orientated but kicking is a necessity to any fighting art. It mostly has to do with tradition passed down by my Instructor's South Korean Master, but I will let you know that my Instructor used to be a fierce competitor and traveled the world fighting and represented Canada in Japan. Thankfully his Master told him not to focus on the sport side but it does not stop my Instructor from teaching the skill but as well his competitive nature has pushed him in other directions such as BJJ/JJJ/MMA and now he's taking up boxing ... and then these skills come back to us and those of us that enjoy these then compete in those areas such as myself in Gi Grappling and No Gi Submission Wrestling.

Being well balanced and rounded is his goal. If you want to compete he will allow you to compete and train you as such in what ever form you want; we've had others compete in Kick Boxing tournaments. Kicking, punching, grappling ... they are all necessaties, it is just that TKD is the foundation.

#315194 - 01/25/07 11:47 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: Dereck]
chr1s Offline

Anyone competing in the US Open in Orlando in a few weeks?

#315195 - 01/26/07 12:06 AM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: TeK9]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Yes TeK9 I agree with much of what you post. However, there are always things that all MAs share in common. Obviously TKD has its roots in Shotokan. In fact, some today still teach that (Shotokan/TangSoDo) - but call it TKD. They even still do the HeiAn Katas. WTF mostly concerns itself with the sport rules, which are very different from Karate. The ITF, under Ambassador Choi emphasized more of a standard syllabus. There are many additions, kicks, flying kicks, chambers, previous posititions & like you adaptly put it, a new way to train. That to me is where I find my answer. I do think that your points are valid, but I do look at it differently. At some point, all MAs are the same. At some point, they are different. That point, is often determined by the level of sophisication of the observer. To some of my friends, its all Karate to them. Others, its all KungFu to them. In fact, some of my friends & even family members can't even pronounce TKD correctly. To them, it is a bunch of fighting in pajamas. To me, they are all so different, after you look beyond.

#315196 - 01/26/07 08:57 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: TeK9]
halltzu Offline

Loc: chicago, il
Quote:

Dereck

If your school is not sports orientated then why practice the kicks that were created for tournament sparring? Is it because they are part of the Olympic style Tkd and so its out of tradition? Because some kicks such as the nado ban or tornado kick are clearly good only for competition.

why would these kicks only be good for competition? i can see the movements you have to learn in order to perform these kicks having importance outside of the ring.

#315197 - 01/26/07 10:04 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: halltzu]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Well for instance the doubles (roundhouse kick) which is currently posted and discussed on another thread which I posted. Is one of those kicks invented for the use in tournament sparring. I however, have slightly altered it so that it can be useful for street fighting. It is not a basic move however, I would categorize it as an advance kicking technique, because of the mechanics and the level of difficulty which it requires to attain to perform effectively.

A kick one step higher in difficulty is a "triple kick" which is performed exactly how the double kick is only with one additional roundhouse at the end at head level. A kick such as this is great for tournaments because of the rules which handicap the defendant, for instance with a move so unbalanced such as the triple kick, a person could easily be pushed off balanced, however, pushing is not aloud in tournaments. Also, triple kicks are probably to long a combination, and cold be easily susceptible to a punch to the face. But in Olympic style TKD face punches are not permitted. So a triple in Olympic style sparring is very effective if you can pull it off, however, for actual fighting w/o rules, it is a technique with to much liability even for someone with superior skill.

Another kick that would not be advisable in an actual fight would be the jumping spinning heel kick sometimes called the jumping spinning hook kick. but most famously called the Jean Claude Van Dam Kick. It's a very fancy,pretty and effective kick if it lands, but it's just to much of a liability and the chances of you landing such a telegraphed kick is extremely low. Unless of course your filming an MA b-movie which the stunt guy is going to allow you to kick him.
Vinci

#315198 - 01/27/07 01:36 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: TeK9]
halltzu Offline

Loc: chicago, il
ok, well, all my fights with gullible b-flic stuntpeople aside , i'll grant you that double and triple kicks, and kicks like the back spinning jumping heel or hook kicks are one i would not bust out with on the street.

however, i still maintain that those kicks require skills that are useful in "practical" self-defense situations. for example, double and triple kicks are good plyometric drills, and useful to increasing your overall kicking speed, which is useful in situations of practical self defense. Similarly, a kick such as back turning, spinning, jumping kicks require the sharpening of agility and the ability to move your hips around your center axis in (somewhat) less than conventional ways. these are also skills that could be useful in a practical self-defense situation...

so, while i may not use kicks such as those in self-defense situations and that i grant you, are really only effective in olympic style sparring situations, i still think practicing those kicks develop skills and abilities that are practically useful.

#315199 - 01/27/07 01:48 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: halltzu]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

I completely agree with you. Please check out the thread on double kicks and tell me what you think on my interpretation of the double kick. I altered the kick slightly to make it more street applicable for myself.

-Tek
Vinci

#315200 - 02/05/08 01:08 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: TeK9]
von1 Offline

Hi people I too train WTF and am new here. My first post was yesterday under the human weapon subject.I am also glad to hear from other WTF people. I train taekwondo Hon MU Kwon Federation under Master sang Sup Kil. Have been reading fighting arts forum over a year but hesitated to participate, slow at typing. Had to post yesterday cause I couldn:t stand some of the comments reguarding WTF and taekwando in general any longer. If currious read the human weapon subject Pg. 7 would save me time in explaining, anyway welcome to all.

#315201 - 02/05/08 04:58 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: von1]
michaelboik Offline

Von
The first school I trained in was Han Moo Kwan under Master Ahmeed(sp). I remember GM Kil coming to the states and doing a demo of Hapkido. He's a small man but very powerful.

Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14 15 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga