FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
Jeff_G 1
Marcus Charles 1
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Jeff_G
03/30/14 12:44 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432375 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#315172 - 01/16/07 04:51 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: BulldogTKD]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Fair enough!

Well, this may interest youu slightly. I hope it doesn't break forum rules (if I do so mods, it is purely accidental) but I would like to recommend a book to you. Its by Iain Abernethy, a major expert in karate Bunkai. Its called "Throws for strikers". It is about how karate, TKD and kickboxing exponents can use throws within their arts. It shows throws that people in these arts should be able to do easily by using movements found in their arts.

He also mentions several TKD patterns that contain different throws in them. If you like form application, he is a great guy to learn from.

Although he is often labelled a "Wado Ryu" guy, he actually teaches a lot of application stuff to TKD practioners as well.

Should check some of his stuff out. Or better yet, go to a seminar of his.

#315173 - 01/16/07 08:51 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: BulldogTKD]
Umbra_777 Offline

Quote:

I see many posts on ITF TKD but very few WTF TKD. I would like to know who traines in WTF and may be we can start a few posts of our own.

Our school primarily does WTF and uses WTF sparring (and I think WTF forms).

#315174 - 01/16/07 09:40 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: Umbra_777]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Dido on what Heretik and Leo said. This is the first time I postr on this forum this year, I stopped posting here mid December. I am glad to see we have at least a small WTF group.

I practice Olympic style TKD but I have never EVER paid a WTF fee in my life and I don't plan to. Because I was an assistant instructor the head instructor always paid our fee's for tournaments and stuff.

Darn it...I broke my silence I was hoping I could go at least a few good months w/o posting in this forum...I am so weak.

Anyways if you wanna discuss one steps I am all for it. I think one steps should be a combinations of not just striking but also grabs and take downs aswell. For instance usually the grappling portion is usually taught under self defense when a person is grabbed. And one steps are just left to striking and the way you would respond if you were say sparring or actually fighting. This is because TKD is primarily a striking art, however, because I studied Tang Soo do I was privaledge to have an instructor who mixed in jujutsu and judo along with the striking. This way your students can get good all around training.

Watcha think fellas?

Vinci

#315175 - 01/16/07 10:27 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: Prizewriter]
BulldogTKD Offline

Great thanks for the info. When I teach patterns I also teach other applications of the techniques. I will check out the book!

#315176 - 01/16/07 10:30 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: TeK9]
BulldogTKD Offline

One Steps.. I will start a post on One steps and I agree with you on this. Look for the post! I think that is a great topic to start with.

#315177 - 01/17/07 01:32 AM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: Prizewriter]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I have a couple of his books, I believe the last book I got of his is how to use tai chi for fighting. Also there is a video out with him illustrating bunkai from kata. A.k.a. applications from forms. I wasn't going to get it but I hear its good, I was skeptical but my sources have told me that it is not the typical block, kick, block and punch kind of application, it's supposed to get a little dirty with nasty attacks. Which to me is what real self defense is about; the little sneaky moves that hurt but cant be seen.
Vinci

#315178 - 01/17/07 06:22 AM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: TeK9]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
So Tek, how about some comments regarding our pm communication, huh????

TREV:-)

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#315179 - 01/17/07 03:16 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: BulldogTKD]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Politics also keeps me away as we don't discuss this at all in class and therefore I see no reason to get worked up over things outside of class. Now if you want to talk about application and technique then I'm all for it.

Our school teaches traditional WTF TKD, if you can call it that. We are not a sports orientated school though we do have a fighting team that mostly consists of juniors but they train later in the afternoon so is separate from regular classes. And we have probably attended more then our fair share of grappling tournaments which I attend when my body will allow me. We do the Taegeuk forms, One-Steps, Breaking and Sparring for belt promotions but this doesn't even touch on what our school is all about. Originally it was TKD and Hapkido blended until my Instructor trained to black belt in JJJ and then blue belt in BJJ. Then add in his MMA training and this should give you an idea of the direction of our school. But WTF TKD is the main focus and the others are only supplementary and why we only test WTF TKD. However in the last 1.5 years our grappling classes usually once a week have carried on to weekends and stuff and has been my main focus for some time; actually putting me behind on my TKD training.

So anything in particular you want to discuss count me in.

#315180 - 01/17/07 04:46 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: Dereck]
tkd_dude Offline

Loc: Overland Park, KS
I do WTF Taekwondo and a little bit of Hapkido. I would definately like to see some more WTF action in the forum. A lot of the ITF history posts seem to just be . Maybe this'll spark some good conversation.

#315181 - 01/17/07 04:51 PM Re: Does any one here train in WTF Tae Kwon Do [Re: tkd_dude]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Guys, if you want to talk about WTF TKD, then start a thread. Don't sit on your bum waiting for some one else to come up with a topic for discussion.

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 ... 14 15 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga