FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#314562 - 01/13/07 01:00 AM A thread for kids who grew up in the 70's
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

you know you're a kid from the 70's when...

"All skaters, change directions" means something to you.
"Members Only" jackets...say no more.

A predominant color in your childhood photos is "plaid".

If male: your first love was Marsha Brady, Jeannine, Samantha from Bewitched, Josie or any one of the Pussycat.

It was a major accomplishment to get to the "Chase" scene in Ms. Pacman.

Female: Leg warmers were cool.

Most of the fillings in your mouth are directly related to Bazooka or Bubble Yum.

Rotary phones.

Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you learned things like grammar, math and history. (A big hint here is if the only way you can recite the Preamble to the Constitution is by singing it.)

The Brady Bunch Movie brings back warm memories.

You can remember the words to the theme song of "The Greatest American Hero." ("BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I'M WALKIN' ON AIR... I NEVER THOUGHT I COULD FEEL SO FREE-EE-EE...")

There was nothing strange about Bert and Ernie living together.

This rings a bell: "and my name, is Charlie. They work for me."

You actually believed that Mikey, famed kid on the Life cereal commercials, died after eating Pop Rocks and drinking a Coke.

You actually remember Benetton.

You actually remember Mr. Bill.

You ever wanted to learn to play "Stairway to Heaven" on the guitar and choreographed "Dancing Queen" by yourself in your room.

You know who shot J.R.

You learned to swim at about the same time "Jaws" came out... and still carry the emotional scars to prove it.

You remember "Friday Night Videos" before the days of MTV.

You remember Bo and Luke Duke, Daisy, Boss Hogg, or, worst of all - what Sheriff Roscoe's full name was. (Coltrain)

You remember having to get off the couch to change the TV channel.

You remember that music that was labeled "alternative" really was.

You remember the days when "safe sex" meant "my parents are going out of town".

You remember when film critics were certain that no movie could ever possibly get better special effects than those in the movie TRON.

You remember when there was only "G", "PG", and "R".

You took family trips BEFORE the invention of the mini-van and remember riding in the back of the station wagon trying to get passing trucks to honk at you.

You tuned in regularly to the adventures of the Bionic Man and Woman, Wonder Woman, and/or the Incredible Hulk.

You were not allowed to see The Exorcist, The Omen, or The Blue Lagoon when they came out.

You were unsure if Diet Coke would ever catch on.

Your first musical purchase was an 8-track tape.

Your jaw would ache by the time you finished one of those brick-sized packages of Bazooka!

Your parents paid $2,000 for a top-loading VCR that was almost the size of a coffee table.

Your parents wanted you to attend medical school, but you decided it was pointless since Quincy got all the babes anyway.

[altered list from bored.com]

my own list:

You owned a jumpsuit.

Your $1.00 per week allowance got you a 'Mad magazine', a 'Charlston Chew' and a pack of Star Wars cards with a stick of gum that was like eating plastic.

Shops still had 'Penny candy'.

On hot days, the fire department opened up hydrants as sprinklers.

You played outside during blizzards and thunderstorms.

Metal and concrete playgrounds.

No helmets.

Your parents chain-smoked in the house.

Stitches for cuts were administered by a family member...usually the person in the house who was the best at mending clothes with a thimbul.

watching home movies on a super 8mm film projector.

The dojo was cold in the winter and hot in the summer. Karate classes were $200.....per year. and there was only one gym to train at in a 25 mile radius.

Every weekend: 'Creature Double Feature' and 'Kung Fu theatre' !

#314563 - 01/13/07 08:17 AM Re: A thread for kids who grew up in the 70's [Re: Ed_Morris]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Your $1.00 per week allowance got you a 'Mad magazine', a 'Charlston Chew' and a pack of Star Wars cards with a stick of gum that was like eating plastic.

Ed, man you really nailed it with that one! You just literally described my "tween" years, substituting "comic books" for "Mad Magazine", and "Rainblo" for "Charleston Chew". $1 a week. My wife still doesn't believe me when I tell her that.

EDIT - I think classes were $25/month when I started AKK in 1984.

Edited by MattJ (01/13/07 08:18 AM)

#314564 - 01/13/07 08:25 AM Re: A thread for kids who grew up in the 70's [Re: MattJ]
MarkW Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Haha, nice list. I was born in 1987 and grew up in the 1990's basically. I think I'll make a little list for 90's kids like me...

You know you were a 90's kid when...

You remember the 'Macarena', and how 'cool' it was. At the time (Thinks of the Macarena and shudders)...

You collected Tazos. Or stickers. Or Pokemon. You collected ANYTHING.

You thought that the Power Rangers really kicked butt.

I'll edit this later with more stuff. Anyone else grow up in the 90's?

#314565 - 01/13/07 09:17 AM Re: A thread for kids who grew up in the 70's [Re: Ed_Morris]
Just1Mike Offline
No, the OTHER Mike

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Right On Ed! LOL!

Marathon bars and Waky Packages.

The joy of coming home and finding that your Sea Monkeys came in.

Bruce Lee was just another chinese guy that made movies.

Big Mac's were big

Your parents knew what you did before you even got home.

It was a punishment to be sent to your room.

You ate your broccoli because "Starving kid's in china would be glad to have that".

You wish just once to have the courage to tell your mom to send it to 'em.

Thanks for the memories Ed.

Good Luck!
Mike.

#314566 - 01/13/07 09:25 AM Re: A thread for kids who grew up in the 70's [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

"Members Only" jackets...say no more.

OK, Couples only...la la la....now all skate,all skate please.

Quote:

Rotary phones.

I hated dialing a nine digit nymber,getting to number eight and screwing up just to start over again!!

Quote:

Your parents paid $2,000 for a top-loading VCR that was almost the size of a coffee table.

That thing lasted 15yrs!!!

From a kid who was born in 73'

#314567 - 01/13/07 09:40 AM Re: A thread for kids who grew up in the 70's [Re: Ed_Morris]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

you know you're a kid from the 70's when...

Roller disco's wouldn't let skateboarders in

Quote:

A predominant color in your childhood photos is "plaid".

I almost escaped it, if it weren't for that one pair of trousers that keeps popping up in the photo album.

Quote:

If male: your first love was Marsha Brady, Jeannine, Samantha from Bewitched, Josie or any one of the Pussycat.

I was '74, so my first love was Debbie Harry

Quote:

It was a major accomplishment to get to the "Chase" scene in Ms. Pacman.

I never did that I can recall, I remember thinking 'SuperPacman' where you could turn and chase the ghosts was the most awesome thing ever at the time though.

Quote:

Most of the fillings in your mouth are directly related to Bazooka or Bubble Yum.

Bazooka!! just the best gum everrrr. Here in the UK, Blackjacks and fruit salads added to the cavity count also.

Quote:

Rotary phones.

I still miss them. i want nokia to do a retro mobile with a tiny rotary dial on it- I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Quote:

Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you learned things like grammar, math and history. (A big hint here is if the only way you can recite the Preamble to the Constitution is by singing it.)

The Brady Bunch Movie brings back warm memories

You can remember the words to the theme song of "The Greatest American Hero." ("BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I'M WALKIN' ON AIR... I NEVER THOUGHT I COULD FEEL SO FREE-EE-EE...")

N/A to UK in the 70's

Quote:

There was nothing strange about Bert and Ernie living together.

And their still isn't, though I wouldn't want to check the files on their hard drive-

Quote:

This rings a bell: "and my name, is Charlie. They work for me."

'Morning Charlie! '

Quote:

You actually believed that Mikey, famed kid on the Life cereal commercials, died after eating Pop Rocks and drinking a Coke.

This was such a famous myth it even made it to Britain

Quote:

You actually remember Benetton.

Ah yes, those 'tasteful' add campaigns

Quote:

You actually remember Mr. Bill.

UK. N/A

Quote:

You ever wanted to learn to play "Stairway to Heaven" on the guitar and choreographed "Dancing Queen" by yourself in your room.

Now be fair, 'Stairway' is timeless- kids of the 80's and 90's will relate to that. 'dancing queen' may have been just you?

Quote:

You know who shot J.R.

I remember not caring enough at the time to commit it to memory. Wasn't it all a dream anyway? or was that Bobby?

Quote:

You learned to swim at about the same time "Jaws" came out... and still carry the emotional scars to prove it.

Oh yes. In the sea. my parents were evil.

Quote:

You remember "Friday Night Videos" before the days of MTV.

N/A in UK

Quote:

You remember Bo and Luke Duke, Daisy, Boss Hogg, or, worst of all - what Sheriff Roscoe's full name was. (Coltrain)

Thats Roscoe P. Coltrain

Quote:

You remember having to get off the couch to change the TV channel.

I was the remote control in our home

Quote:

You remember that music that was labeled "alternative" really was.

Dead Kennedy's. Black Flag. Stooges. Suicide. Bauhaus. Birthday Party. Kraftwerk. March Violets..... The 70's and early 80's music scene is something I have never grown out of, and never will.

Quote:

You remember the days when "safe sex" meant "my parents are going out of town".

I remember when sex was safe and skydiving wasn't.

Quote:

You remember when film critics were certain that no movie could ever possibly get better special effects than those in the movie TRON.

In a way, they were right.

Quote:

You remember when there was only "G", "PG", and "R".

we had U, PG, and then different ranges of X's right up to XXX for the blue movies.

Quote:

You took family trips BEFORE the invention of the mini-van and remember riding in the back of the station wagon trying to get passing trucks to honk at you.

UK N/A

Quote:

You tuned in regularly to the adventures of the Bionic Man and Woman, Wonder Woman, and/or the Incredible Hulk.

oh yes, and Doctor Who

Quote:

You were not allowed to see The Exorcist, The Omen, or The Blue Lagoon when they came out.

My parents were always fine with me watching horror. The Exorcist and TCM were banned in the UK during my childhood, i still got to see them of course, and my parents never minded one bit. Blue Lagoon would have been different though. Sex on TV was always switched over in our home. I suppose I was encouraged to make war, not love; from an early age

Quote:

You were unsure if Diet Coke would ever catch on.

In the UK, the first 'diet' soda was called 'OneCal'- I had no idea what that meant, I just saw the adverts and thought it looked like a nice drink- boy was I in for a suprise with my first swig!

Quote:

Your first musical purchase was an 8-track tape.

Nope, not quite that old

Quote:

Your jaw would ache by the time you finished one of those brick-sized packages of Bazooka!

Not as much as after 3 fireballs!

Quote:

State of the art Betamax baby!

Quote:

Your parents wanted you to attend medical school, but you decided it was pointless since Quincy got all the babes anyway.

Even as a youngster that struck me as unrealistic.

#314568 - 01/13/07 10:17 AM Re: A thread for kids who grew up in the 70's [Re: Cord]
grumbleweed Offline

According to my dad I took a leek at the urinals at the Monsal hotel/pub in Derbyshire in around 1978 stood next to one of the most iconic northeners of the time--Arthur Scargil aka King Arthur or even gobby tosspot. Who here as a child of the 70's shared urinal time with famous/unfamous 70's icons?

#314569 - 01/13/07 11:45 AM Re: A thread for kids who grew up in the 70's [Re: Ed_Morris]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
<< You ate your broccoli because "Starving kid's in china would be glad to have that". >>
It was peas and the "Starving Armenians".

<< Most of the fillings in your mouth are directly related to Bazooka or Bubble Yum. >>
Brachs Caramels
Wiped out five in one bite.

Edited by iaibear (01/13/07 11:52 AM)

#314570 - 01/13/07 01:18 PM Re: A thread for kids who grew up in the 70's [Re: Ed_Morris]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Yup, I am one of those kids.

#314571 - 01/13/07 02:46 PM Re: A thread for kids who grew up in the 70's [Re: Ed_Morris]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Quote:

I LOVED that show. Imagine losing the instructions to your super suit!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga