FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#313906 - 01/10/07 03:30 PM TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this?
Ads Offline

Hi, Ive recently started researching PP and trying to link it into my TKD. Anyway, I want someone who knows what there doing with PP to try a technique taken from pattern Won-Hyo. Its the initial starting stance where your hands are cupped together at chin height. Ive already found that applying pressure to GB10/GB11 feels like your head is gonna cave in, but what im interested in is also attacking TW10 or TW20 at the same time. So it would be GB10, GB11 and TW20, following the theory of 3 PP = KO I wanna know if this works. I'll try it next week on my instructor but until then I dont want to just go ahead and try on friend or missus (for obvious reasons).

#313907 - 01/10/07 09:47 PM Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? [Re: Ads]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
There's a lot to know before you start using pressure points on people, and just tying it to one of "your" katas doesn't make it safe to practice. Pressure points cause distinct changes in blood pressure, nerve synapses, etc. and can permanently damage organs.

Hitting 3 pressure points aren't an automatic knockout, and unless you're trained in the resucitation techniques of kyusho, you need to steer clear of knocking anybody out with point techniques... unless you think prison is an alternative to learning what you're doing. Indiscriminate use of pressure points is dangerous, and while there are those that disagree with the theory of meridian attacks, etc. I don't remember anyone that thought kung fu or Okinawan karate couldn't get the job done.

Hitting points is a study... a long term study. It's not like learning a backfist strike and immediately using it in kumite... Pressure points require detailed study and practice... not just punching points on somebody and then saying "I'm sorry" when you cause their speen, heart or liver to be damaged.

Not meaning to pick on you, but your entire post sounded like somebody telling me "I don't know nothing, and I can prove it..."

Go find a qualified instructor if you want to study pressure points and how it relates to your TKD katas. Anyone qualified can watch your kata and relate it to theirs... whether it's TKD or Okinawan kata or Chinese forms.

#313908 - 01/11/07 04:05 AM Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? [Re: wristtwister]
justincase Offline
Stranger

wristtwister i completely agree with you!

#313909 - 01/11/07 10:09 AM Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? [Re: Ads]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
OK- It's been awhile since I've done that kata Won-Hyo. I do one that is similar now called Heine 2. I stopped TKD a log time ago. The points you named are OK. I actually use them more in grappling. SJ 10, for instance, kind of goes with SJ11 as if they were one point. It is one way to get an arm bar. It is a rub point stimulating the golgi receptor of the tricept muscle tendon. It is a stretch receptor. It should be rubbed toward to finger tips. Even when struck, it should be struck with a rolling motion like the end of an inward block, rolling towards the finger tips.

It can be used to bring someone to the ground. It will hyperextend the elbow. If you are not breaking someone's arm, it is a good control to go to the ground, apply handcuffs or other restraints, roll someone over, many applications. If you hit it correctly and with intent, you will break the elbow if the arm is extended.

The SJ points around the ear are cool. From a tight close standing grapple, grab your uke's ear lobe digging your knuckles into the SJ points in close around the ear. While pulling on the ear lobe and curling your wrist so that you are pressing with the knuckles, you will loosen the resistance in uke's neck. You can turn him around and, for example, pull him into an arm bar choke/rear choke done with the other hand.

I personally haven't hit much with GB 10/ 11 but they are good. They could be well set up from the arm bar as described above. I don't see why it couldn't work as a KO but we don't generally practice that way. If I were going to try it, and I think I might, I wouldn't go for a KO. I'd set it up carefully with the arm bar and tap it with a shuto or back fist and check with uke to see if he got any response.

You can't KO people all the time. It is dramatic and I know that is why many people come to PP study, but it isn't necessary for practice and not a good idea. All you need for practice is light true taps that uke identifies as "good ones". Most times, you don't even need a true tap. For much practice, it is fine to just tap without any intent, the points, to get practice in point location accuracy for angle and direction. If you practice with intent all the time, you get a lot of bruising and soreness which will compromise your practice.

The old advice was to not practice the pressure points hit with intent for more than 15 minutes a week. I know most of us that I practice with actually practice much more than that, but I practice with very well qualified people and we use far more care and safety than you probably have available to you.

#313910 - 01/11/07 02:46 PM Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? [Re: wristtwister]
Ads Offline

Quote:

There's a lot to know before you start using pressure points on people, and just tying it to one of "your" katas doesn't make it safe to practice.

Thats why I wanted someone here who was more experienced than myself to try it!

Quote:

Hitting 3 pressure points aren't an automatic knockout, and unless you're trained in the resucitation techniques of kyusho, you need to steer clear of knocking anybody out with point techniques.

Yes it is!! Im not trained in resucitation but Im surrounded by people who are as im currently attending classes lead by DKI.

Quote:

Not meaning to pick on you, but your entire post sounded like somebody telling me "I don't know nothing, and I can prove it..."

Well that comment just sounds like YOU know nothing and are trying to sound intelligent by telling me "I dont know nothing" Which incidently in a double negative so what youre actually saying is that I know something.

And I wasnt saying im going to knock anybody out, im going to apply light pressure to gauge the reaction to its effectivness. My instructor will listen to what im saying and advise, if he sees it as too dangerous, or ineffective, it wont be tried.

attempted to fix quotes. gave up

Edited by MattJ (01/11/07 03:10 PM)

#313911 - 01/11/07 02:54 PM Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? [Re: Ads]
underdog Offline
Veteran

DKI are good people. I for one, didn't know what your background was or what support you had. Go for it. DKI has been getting people through this material for a long time and GM Dillman knows what he is doing. After you try it, post your results.

#313912 - 01/12/07 11:48 AM Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? [Re: Ads]
underdog Offline
Veteran

We worked GB 10 and 11 today. We worked them lightly to see how light we could go on a strike and get any kind of neurological effect. With a twisting palm, we got it. We didn't get anywhere as near the effect as we get with Gb 9 and 8, as a comparison. We checked out the skull suture lines etc. for landmarks and explanations. We were hitting with an open palm. How are you using it?

#313913 - 01/12/07 02:00 PM Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? [Re: underdog]
Ads Offline

Well, the move im experimenting with should be the right hand first two knucles and the open palm of the left hand. I think in reality it would be two simultaneous hard strikes, but in practice I only plan on doing it using two open palms.

Ive found that GB 10/GB11 work best when struck at 45 degree inwards; imagine being behind your opponent and hitting the points trying the get the energy to come out through the right eye. Does that make sense

#313914 - 01/12/07 02:40 PM Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? [Re: Ads]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Well excuse me... since you're obviously so overqualified, I'll yield to your profound knowledge.

Since the warning about how dangerous this stuff can be didn't stick, go do whatever you're going to do... and if your instructor doesn't teach it, how's he going to know if what you're doing is too dangerous?

I would suggest that anybody training with you carry lots and lots of insurance... they'll probably collect on it.

Be careful and don't step on any chi balls...

#313915 - 01/12/07 04:38 PM Re: TKD Pressure Point. Anybody ever try this? [Re: wristtwister]
Ads Offline

Limpwrister, I didnt post the question to have people try and sound clever and negative. It was a simple question, if you cannot answer the question then dont answer it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga