FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 57 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
Dobbersky 2
royal 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
Today at 06:52 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432377 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#313449 - 01/12/07 07:39 AM Re: Ready Position Interpretation [Re: Chen Zen]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

exactly. salutation or formalization prior and after demonstrating forms is just that.

the more elaborate ones get more points for showing 'more respect' to judges, no doubt. I like the ones that are so elaborate, it looks like they have started the form already.

flippant answer aside the simple bow and starting position is traditional at least since the time karate was so named...older Chinese forms seem less formal in this regard, so the Okinawan forms probably formalized with Japan influence in the 20th c. but I'm guessing.

#313450 - 01/12/07 10:40 AM Re: Ready Position Interpretation [Re: Ed_Morris]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
well, to be a nit picky jerk, no one was talking about the bow as an application.

the point i was making is that the move from the initial begining position to the next technique could be studied for posible applications.

chen is always right in one sense, no matter how arrogant he seems when making his point. there are other things to study that may warrent more attention to some. but the question was asked and answered, and besides i thought you had left the disgracefull kata for dead after the 21 page roast??

the ready position does mean "ready". and maybe that is the best answer to give to a student who is learning, but don't dismiss it as simply this or that, bruce lee would be shamed to think that you boxed your self into a limiting frame of mind.

yours in life

#313451 - 01/12/07 01:48 PM Re: Ready Position Interpretation [Re: Chen Zen]
Ads Offline

Quote:

Is there always some secretive interpretation? Cant ready position just mean "ready"? Why does it have to be more than that? There are so many other things of greater value to explore.

What are you getting ready for??? If ever you get into a fight are you going to say "hang on, let me get into my ready stance". I dont mean to sound flipant, but it seems that we only see them as mear ready stances because of how we are taught. If a pattern was to be performed with hands starting relaxed by our sides and then going into the first stance (which would actually be the ready stance) perhaps we could clearly see more application and use for the technique.

And surely every technique has to be useful, otherwise why are we are we learning it?

Its not that they're forgotten secrets, more like knowledge that has remained untaught until it finally becomes unknown. Perhaps.

#313452 - 01/12/07 01:51 PM Re: Ready Position Interpretation [Re: Ed_Morris]
Ads Offline

I may be going to the extreme a little, but, surely the bow has an application??? Perhaps from a front choke; a double wrist grab going into headbutt. Just a thought.

#313453 - 01/12/07 02:05 PM Re: Ready Position Interpretation [Re: Ads]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

What are you getting ready for???

Performing your kata.

Quote:

If ever you get into a fight are you going to say "hang on, let me get into my ready stance".

Does the military stand at attention and salute the enemy before going into battle? No.

It's just a formalized version of "hands starting relaxed by our sides".

#313454 - 01/12/07 03:12 PM Re: Ready Position Interpretation [Re: Ads]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Ads, have you been taught any applications for these opening moves?

#313455 - 01/12/07 03:20 PM Re: Ready Position Interpretation [Re: Ads]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

[sacasm]
or a bow could be a headbutt! of course...how could I have missed it! lol

now I have to go work on applications for my handshake kata....probably some finger locks in there.
[/sarcasm]

My interpretation of ready position is....ready position.

#313456 - 01/12/07 03:30 PM Re: Ready Position Interpretation [Re: Ed_Morris]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

I know that in Japan a bow is a sign of respect/a greeting. I believe that it is the same way in China. I can only assume that it is the same on Okinawa (where many of the forms started) and in Korea.

Am I correct in this assumption? If so would it not be the same as (or at least very similar to) the salute of one soldier to another?

#313457 - 01/12/07 05:44 PM Re: Ready Position Interpretation [Re: JoelM]
CVV Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
When I want to execute a kata to the best of my abilities for that moment, the entire 'get ready' formals get a very deep 'spiritual' meaning. In a sense of me and my surrounding and firing up all my senses. You feel the adrenaline, you are in touch with your breathing and feel every muscle. You are aware of your surrounding and are focused. The only thing missing is fear.
This is in my opinion the function of the 'get ready' formalities. Once you are focused and ready to fight, you are a formidable adversary because you intent not to lose. This mental state is far more important than knowing wrist locks, finger locks or head butts from the ready position.
In training over and over the kata, the ready formalities tend to be neglected as you want to focus on technique, or speed or stance but if you want to execute a kata where body / mind and spirit work in unity in absence of concious thaught coordinated with the breathing, the ready position is intigral part of executing the kata.
Sanchin kata teaches this.
But i must confess, I am not always ready when training kata.

#313458 - 01/12/07 05:50 PM Re: Ready Position Interpretation [Re: Chen Zen]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Chen Zen:

<<Is there always some secretive interpretation?

When I invent the thing being examined I shall let you know!
The kata I was given are entirely functional movements with excellent reasons for precision whatever the particular positions/sequences might be...

<<Cant ready position just mean "ready"?

They could but that would be awfully boring... yet some would contend they are pure & exclusively symbolism. If I were able to show you a usage for a particular "ready" position would you consider/explore it???

<<There are so many other things of greater value to explore.

What did you have in mind sire???????

I enjoy taking apart the small pieces, examining them and reexamining them see what ~shakes loose~ in that process. It may take months, sometimes years remembering hey we never finished that piece well... looks similar to what were just doing... wonder if we use this idea on that piece if it would work, answer the problem we had back then...

The joy is in the exploration...

Jeff

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga