FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matakiant 3
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 3
Victor Smith 1
ergees 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 12:10 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Victor Smith
09/28/14 07:11 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35579 Topics
432500 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#313007 - 01/09/07 06:23 AM Re: Twisting Kick? (bituro chagi) [Re: Dereck]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I agree with you Dereck. I have to learn the kick, but I don't see myself spending too long perfecting it. There are just more useful kicks to practice, and I see little use for it compared to the usefullness of a front-kick, side-kick or turning kick.

#313008 - 01/09/07 09:03 AM Re: Twisting Kick? (bituro chagi) [Re: Supremor]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
I think it depends on how flexible a person is as to its effectiveness. I have to learn it as it's part of one of my future patterns, Gae Baek, if for no other reason, and my cousin had to do it for his break at his black belt testing.

The big advantage that I see is that people don't expect an attack to come from that direction as its not exactly a natural direction to kick from.

Laura

#313009 - 01/09/07 12:25 PM Re: Twisting Kick? (bituro chagi) [Re: Supremor]
jonnyboxcutter Offline

First offÖ I read that as ďBurritoĒ Chagi Ė I assumed it was Korean for a kick with a moist prize at the end.

I have not read the whole thread so this may be a repeate, if so sorry...
I LOVE this kick, my favorite way to use it requires some balance though. Iíll try to explain the best I can.

I am going to explain this as it rolled in my 2nd degree test, I hope it makes sense.
Standing left side forward in a VERY short ridding stance sitting low with the knees bent. My opponent commited, with this I threw a jumping back kick (targeting the abdomen) with my right leg. This made contact and forced him to bend at the waist and drop his hands. From here rather than drop the kick I chambered the leg (almost in a side kick position), continuing the turn rolled my hips and threw an inside roundhouse (thatís what we call it), only this was thrown higher targeting the chest. This stood him back up and raised his hands. I followed this with a left leg round house again shooting low. This finished up with two punches to the chest (left side thrown as I set the roundhouse down followed with a hard right).

Combo would be:
Low (Abdomen) right leg jumping back kick
Middle (Chest) right leg inside roundhouse (donít set the leg down after the back kick)
Low (Abdomen) left roundhouse
Left (Chest) punch
Right (Chest) punch

To stretch for the kick I sit down with the bottoms of my feet together and push the knees to the ground.

-JBC-

Edited by jonnyboxcutter (01/09/07 12:42 PM)

#313010 - 01/09/07 12:29 PM Re: Twisting Kick? (bituro chagi) [Re: Supremor]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I agree with you Dereck. I have to learn the kick, but I don't see myself spending too long perfecting it. There are just more useful kicks to practice, and I see little use for it compared to the usefullness of a front-kick, side-kick or turning kick.

I respectfully suggest, that if this kick was introduced to you at an earlier time, it would have become a very usefull kick in your arsenal.
What I think some may be missing, is the location of your opponenet & the selection of a technique that will effectively do damage with the strike in that direction. I would add that some of you may be missing an opportunity to add to your ability to protect yourself & &/or score a point.

#313011 - 01/09/07 12:38 PM Re: Twisting Kick? (bituro chagi) [Re: tkd_high_green]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I think it depends on how flexible a person is as to its effectiveness. I have to learn it as it's part of one of my future patterns, Gae Baek, if for no other reason, and my cousin had to do it for his break at his black belt testing.
The big advantage that I see is that people don't expect an attack to come from that direction as its not exactly a natural direction to kick from. Laura

When do you learn GaeBaek?
You will also need it for EuiAm Tul, as a middle twisting kick for SamIl Tul & the high twisting kick in MoonMoo Tul.
I think studetns should practice breaking with twisting kick before BB.
Flexibility is needed for all kicks, not just twisting kick. The more flexible a person is, will aide all kicks, won't it?
You hit upon a very good tactic, no one ever expects it, becuse of where the defender & opponent are standing/facing. I think that students must be taught directions & what techniques are most suitable for the location of opponent. Front kick can not be compared nor should it be confused with a twisting kick. The targets & location of targets (with the exception of low twisting kick) are all different.

#313012 - 01/09/07 12:38 PM Re: Twisting Kick? (bituro chagi) [Re: Supremor]
jonnyboxcutter Offline

This is a very effective kick once you figure it out. It can be used in a few different ways.

One way is to throw the timing of your turning kicks off - your kick is not thrown until youíre facing the opponent. If you have tagged them with a few turning kicks already throw one of these, they will block prematurely.

Another is a setup Ė Standing odd faced throw this with the front leg. From an opponents perspective the initial body torque looks kind of like a back leg round house kick.

Dereck/Supremor, seriously you should try it on a heavy bag and get used to it. If your not using this in class and you can get the flexibility down you will seriously mess with the head of the first person you hit it with. It seemingly comes out of now were, add a hard hip twist and you can take people off their feet with it.

-JBC-

#313013 - 01/09/07 01:46 PM Re: Twisting Kick? (bituro chagi) [Re: jonnyboxcutter]
jonnyboxcutter Offline

A quick addendum to my last postÖ
I just watched the Youtube video, I have used it from a back leg but I typically use it as a front leg or from a turning kick. The back leg for me just has too long of a trajectory, I could pull it off when I was younger but would not even try it now.

-JBC-

#313014 - 01/09/07 02:03 PM Re: Twisting Kick? (bituro chagi) [Re: jonnyboxcutter]
GriffyGriff Offline
Good Egg,

Loc: Earth
Hi, Sorry I am a little late in this topic...

I, like JonnyBoxCutter LOVE this kick.

I have found it to be a very powerful kick and work on the heavy bag with this one frequently. I find that the kick can also serve to re-align you to your opponent's centre-line after you have been doing a barrage of spinning kicks.

In a Left Stance, hit with a (Right), high spinning hook kick / Turning Kick combination. Then as your right foot steps down (slightly right of your opponent's centre-line), hit with a Left high Bituro-Chagi, followed by a right hook kick to the other side of his head.

I also use it in the following hand-initiated combination:
Left Stance, Step-Drag High Left Jab, low right cross, high right Bituro-chagi

It is a beauty of a kick. I am sure that working on your butterfly stretch will allow you to become more effective with this kick.

Butterfly Stretch:
Sit on the floor with the soles of your feet touching each other and your heels as close to your groin as you can. Try to rest (or press) your knees on the floor. Once you are able to do this, then take the stretch further by resting your feet on some books.

Regards
Griff

#313015 - 01/09/07 03:02 PM Re: Twisting Kick? (bituro chagi) [Re: GriffyGriff]
jonnyboxcutter Offline

I started to use this kick because I am rather tall (all legs) and got sick of people jamming me up. If thrown from the front leg itís a very short and fast kick and is similar to the power of a back leg kick.

Using Clmibb as an example (she referenced her size thatís why). I am going to make the assumption that if her and I sparred we would size up as follows.

If Iím in her leg reach, Iím guessing any of my round kicks would make contact at about the Ĺ way point between my knee and my foot. Iím also assuming that if I were with in the reach of her hands my kicks would impact at about my knee. Within TKD sparring rules most of my kicks would be ineffective and my hands would not be really useful either (I would be just too close). With these assumptions being made, I would use this kick to back her up and gain the distance for a follow up kick/or punch thrown at full extension.

In this scenario the kick would be thrown with a with an upwards (approx 45 degree) trajectory and as Clmibb noted it can be slid between the guard and the belt.

-JBC-

Clmibb Ė Hope I didnít offend

#313016 - 01/09/07 04:10 PM Re: Twisting Kick? (bituro chagi) [Re: ITFunity]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
Quote:

When do you learn GaeBaek?

Since its a black belt pattern, I would technically learn it once I get my black belt (at the end of the month) along with the two other black belt patterns, but in actuality, I learned GaeBaek several months ago.

As for the twisting kick, I was introduced to this kick fairly early on, green belt maybe, but we don't work it as often as we do other kicks.

Laura

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga