FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#312774 - 01/05/07 05:39 PM Your Favorite Place......
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
The other day I was driving home from my parent's house (about 100 miles away) and decided to get off the beaten path. I absolutly love the Texas country side. Nice wide two lane highways with no potholes. Nice wide shoulders so you can move over and let people pass. No hurry. Just cruising along. It takes me about an hour and a half on the interstate to get home but on the back roads it takes much longer. That's ok I'm not in a hurry.

I drive along a little known state highway that winds through the counrty side. It still cuts through small towns with the mom and pop restraunts and tire places. As soon as you realize you're in a town you're out just as fast. Back on the road lined with mesquite trees, live oaks, palito blancos and prickly pear. It's not hard to imagine a cattle drive and a vaqueros working the land. Branding the new calves born that spring and the new cattle that was bought that year.

I roll the windows down and smell the countryside. It just rained so it was the smell of dirt and hot road and general outdoors. I notice a few deer off the side of the road and slow down a little. They perk up and run into the rancher's field. It's dusk and the sunset couldn't be more perfect. Oranges, pinks and the fading blue sky. It's going to be dark soon and there are no street lights out here. The night sky takes over quickly and before you know it you see millions of stars. I can pick out Draco, Orion, Cancer, Ursula Major and Minor. So many more I want to see but can't. One day I'll stop and park the car and just watch the night sky with my star map.

All too quickly I'm driving back on I-37 and will be home all too soon. It almost saddens me to get home. Too many lights to see every star. No native trees in the city. No smell of outdoors. Just the smell of hot, wet cement. I pull into the driveway and shut off the engine, take a deep breath and realize the journey is over. I'll make the trip again soon but it's not soon enough.

Where are your favorite places?

Casey

Edited by clmibb (01/05/07 05:40 PM)

#312775 - 01/05/07 06:38 PM Re: Your Favorite Place...... [Re: clmibb]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

Where are your favorite places?

Awesome Casey.

Some of my favorite places include the Santa Monica mountains just north of Hollywood. Its staggering to look down on LA at nighttime from high in those hills. It can be amazingly quiet there as you survey that ocean of light spreading out there beneath you.

What was also incredible was sleeping in the desert, 3 hours north of LA in Kern County near Lake Isabella. It looked as if you could reach up and just GRAB the stars in the palm of your hand. I stayed out there for hours...until I heard a bobcat nearby. Spent the rest of the night there in my car.

-John

#312776 - 01/05/07 07:11 PM Re: Your Favorite Place...... [Re: clmibb]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
I loved Egypt when I visited some years ago. all the dust and comotion, the call to prayer going out over loud speakers across the desert sky. I have never felt so acutely alien to a culture, or as far from home, but it was one of those experiences that even during it, I was well aware that I would never ever forget.

My old friend Simon's flat. Long since lost contact, and he moved, but in late teens to mid 20's, it was the scene of some great and crazy times. I remember every poster on every wall, how it smelt, how comfy his couch was. That rented home embodied all that was good in the world.

Whitby on the Yorkshire coast. Beautiful place, seafood fresh off the trawlers, unbelievably friendly people.

Prague- specificaly the King Charles Bridge in the winter. Walking through Prague is like being dropped into every spy movie you could imagine. The architecture is amazing- beauty intertwined with daily life in the most all pervading way.

Disneyworld florida- The magic kingdom. I am a 3 time veteran- 9 years old, 14 years old and 18 years old. Familiarity and teenage attitude could not diminish the fun I had every single visit. I love it.

My home. Its rented, its not grand, but it contains all I have worked for and achieved, and most importantly contains my Wife and dog, without the existence of whom I would not find any joy or beauty anywhere.

#312777 - 01/05/07 09:48 PM Re: Your Favorite Place...... [Re: Cord]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
I have three favorite places.

The first is the pond and summer camp where I've spent every summer, especially on a windy day. The smell of the water with the feel of the wind on a warm day is just invigorating.

My second favorite place is anywhere I can get to on horseback that isn't on pavement, either field or trail through the woods. Last weekend, before the snow melted, it was a warm and windless day and we went riding through the field where there was about 6 inches of light powdery snow and all you could hear was was the swish swish of her feet in the snow.

My third favorite place is definitely the dojang. Heck I spend the majority of my free time there, so I should like it.

Laura

#312778 - 01/05/07 10:41 PM Re: Your Favorite Place...... [Re: clmibb]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Wow! That was like reading poetry.

I don't think I have a favorite place. I can make myself feel comfortable and find enjoyment almost anywhere. However, one of the most beautiful places I have been is North West Colorado. Mountains and desert, wonderfull.

#312779 - 01/05/07 10:44 PM Re: Your Favorite Place...... [Re: Saisho]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
Thanks. I wanted to say so much more but wanted to keep the post pretty short so people wouldn't get bored. If I ever figure out how to post pictures I'll post some of my favorites.

Casey

#312780 - 01/06/07 02:32 AM Re: Your Favorite Place...... [Re: clmibb]
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
Great thread Thanks Casey,

Your description was very emotive.

Lol, Cord Whitby, spent a great lads holiday in Whitby, very nice place, Robins hoods bay as well……

My fav place is Malta, Especially Golden Bay. Snorkelling in the Med…sigh..!!
Last time I went, I had a burnt back and a pickled front as I had spent so much time in the water, got the P*ss taken out of me for weeks, but it was worth it.

Mark

#312781 - 01/06/07 01:04 PM Re: Your Favorite Place...... [Re: clmibb]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I love the outer banks of North Carolina. Beautiful, peaceful area. Only place I ever been that I could actually relax. I love the beach!

#312782 - 01/06/07 02:05 PM Re: Your Favorite Place...... [Re: MattJ]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I love the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia, Canada. A long stretch of highway with trees, vinards, orchards, mountains, rivers and lakes. I like the drives through the Banff National Park and Jasper National Park in Alberta, Canada. Mountains, trees, lakes and wildlife that can't be beat. The speed limits are very limited as wildlife comes right out on the road and you will see many tourists out taking pictures right up close, except when it is bears or aggressive animals.

I loved when I used to hunt we would go between Whitecourt and Fox Creek, Alberta and stay a week in the bushes. We cut a path into the trees to a secluded spot and set up camp and just enjoy the surroundings especially the night sky with all of the stars and the quiteness.

I loved my drive through the Cascade Loop through the heart of Washington. There we found a town at the base of the mountains called Leavenworth; a Bavarian-style village that you swear you drove back in time to a German village. You could smell chocolate in the air as the make it right there and as we were there in October it was Oktoberfest. Also along this route used to be an old western town though I heard many years ago a fire destroyed it.

I haven't really been anywhere so I'm sure there are some beautiful places out there.

#312783 - 01/06/07 03:04 PM Re: Your Favorite Place...... [Re: Dereck]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
My first favorite place is a forest located in the center of Stockholm, known as Alsjo Skog. There's this hilltop that I spend at least 12 hours meditating on. I feel connected with the place due to my swedish bloodline. It's like the only place I can actually spiritually tap into the wild. I feel like a part of that hilltop surrounded by these great oak trees.

Second place would be driving by the coast of France at dusk. France has some really wonderful cities. The faint shade of red, the coast, my dad's bmw and the great Chateu Bordeaux makes France awesome as long as I stay away from mainland.

Third would be the hills of Mae Hong Sorn, Thailand. The cold weather, thin air, fog and Chateu Siam makes those mountain range breath-taking. The sea of fog looks as if you could dive right into it.

Fourth would be the islands of coast of Stockholm. I love sailing. .

And lastly, any dojo with cute girls. I'm being honest here.

It seems I'm very in-touched with nature and water. I love hilltops and I love rivers. I also like cold climates. Damn, I sound more viking as I get older. Daddy would be proud.

-Taison out

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga