FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
osibolyxu, SamasTactical, Mustafa, kritesh, AlfonsoGrey37
23185 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
kickbutt 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
History of Tae Kwon Do
by
05/07/05 10:39 PM
Recent Posts
History of Tae Kwon Do
by kickbutt
09/07/18 06:28 AM
Forum Stats
23185 Members
36 Forums
35694 Topics
432749 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#312392 - 01/06/07 01:15 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Khayman]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I'm not judging you. I'm not qualified, nor would I care for such a position. I was curious about what Yoseikan was basically about...kind of like looking up something in an encyclopedia. sounds like Shotokan with some joint locks and throws that fell into the common trappings of over-commercialization.

my background is boring. some goju, and a bit of other stuff. I have no rank, but people tolerate that I'm yudansha-like. I got some videos from last year hanging around somewhere on these boards if you feel like making fun of me. If you decide to go that route, the only pre-requisite I ask is that you post a video of yourself also.

what was it that medulanet says? "put up or shut up"

#312393 - 01/06/07 03:17 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Ed_Morris]
Khayman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
Quote:

I'm not judging you. I'm not qualified, nor would I care for such a position.

Fair enough, debate closed.

Steve

#312394 - 01/10/07 02:08 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Ed_Morris]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Hi Ed

I acutally posted about Yoseikan in the Aikido forum a while back:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=2#Post15874240

Butterfly and Aikikiai where good enough to give some great replies. Aikikiai's response gives a very detailed account of its founder and the system.

From what I understand, Mochizuki was one of the first, if not THE first person to demonstrate Aikido in France. As he had extensive experience in other martial arts as well, ( Shotokan and Judo in particular), he was at the fore of introducing Aikido and Karate in France.

Yoseikan Budo doesn't seem to be either a karate style or an Aikido style, its something different now, from what I understand.

#312395 - 01/16/07 08:18 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Ed_Morris]
photosmart Offline

Quote:

sorry to hear that. elementary school 'sensei' and 'sempai' - thats never been my experience. plus mark saying the kata taught there was dancing. plus the website looks like a cookie cutter mcdojo site/org...so yes, from my point of view it seems very likely a mcdojo.

but from your point of view...I'm sure it was really good stuff. mark seems to think he's become a better dancer from the Yoseikan experience....and thats great too.

Vernon Bell...I seem to remember seeing his signature on more than one 10th dan certificate via a sokeship council and hall of fame organization. Did Mr. Bell, with all respect, have authority to award 10th dan certificates?

nah, nevermind...wouldn't want to open that can o worms. The initiated can look it up for themselves.

you can have the last word if you want, I think I've read enough to answer my thread question.

Hi Ed? nth dan?
I am new to the forum and was lead to understand that the name of the forum was fighting Arts? There fore fighting arts were discussed?
Rather than ask and seemingly put someone down why dont you address your questions about Vernon Bell to some one like Roy Stanhope 7th dan or some other high dan ranking in the UK? Or even better put the question to the dojo in question
Roys website is on google. I am sure if he can be bothered answering the answers will be correct.

Looks like you two might have some interesting points of conversation.If Roy can be bothered then maybe ask him for his thoughts on your videos?

I study Vale Tudo.We dont realy bother to much with rank as such. More MMA's. I train some times at Catterick Garrison UK where a lot of competative martial artists train. Google it if you are wondering where it is. I enjoy reading about technical debates with most martial arts there is always something to learn but I dont realy enjoy reading arguments about how a website reflects on what their organisation does or doesnt do.
What say you address these comments to the people involved?
I am sure they would or wouldnt like to hear from you?
Have fun

Edited by photosmart (01/16/07 08:54 PM)

#312396 - 01/16/07 09:59 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: photosmart]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

good points...well, not really. I'm sure the Art of Yoseikan is deep enough for a lifetime study. I trust the opinions that people gave here, and thats as far as 'm willing to look into it.

my first impression of what Yoseikan was about was the same way many get their first impression of an Art...thru a website via google. What I saw from a random search was 10-year old sensei and your basic fluff that usually surrounds that notion....and they had the Yoseikan name.

fault me for mentioning my first impression if you like, but you can't fault me for the existance of all publically viewable websites bearing the name Yoseikan which turn up on google searches.

p.s. 'nth degree' means nothing...which is the point. see: humor.

#312397 - 01/16/07 10:26 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: photosmart]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

btw, Roy Stanhope is not part of Yoseikan, as far as I know, he's studied Kimura Shukokai. so I'm confused by your reference to him in this thread.

when you are ready to admit your agenda, let us know.

I didn't catch your real name....I need your real name so when I e-mail Mr. Stanhope, I can tell him who referred me to him.

#312398 - 01/16/07 10:55 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Prizewriter]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

prizewriter, sorry I missed your post...I appreciate the info.

#312399 - 01/17/07 03:11 AM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Ed_Morris]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
aikikiai (David Orange) is your man, if you want to know about Yoseikan.

#312400 - 01/17/07 03:13 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Ed_Morris]
photosmart Offline

Quote:

btw, Roy Stanhope is not part of Yoseikan, as far as I know, he's studied Kimura Shukokai. so I'm confused by your reference to him in this thread.

I didn't catch your real name....I need your real name so when I e-mail Mr. Stanhope, I can tell him who referred me to him.

Rather than ask and seemingly put someone down why dont you address your questions about Vernon Bell to some one like Roy Stanhope 7th dan or some other high dan ranking in the UK? Or even better put the question to the dojo in question

Seems clear to me what I wrote. Roy is of the age to have poss known something of Vernon Bell as are a lot of other high ranking dans in the uk
If you have a mind to ask Roy(and if he can be bothered with your questions about Vernon Bell) my name is Dave Jenkins.I trained with Roy on quite a few training sessions . Interesting that you say you trained in Kimura Shukokia yet the videos you posted seem to show minimum influence from that style. This isnt me poking fun just an observation.

What I suggested was ask him yourself or any of the other high ranking dan grades in the uk who can give their thoughts if they have a mind to on Vernon bell just so its clear on that matter.
From what I heard Vernon was good at what he did.

The other point I am making is based on a website photo you would seem to condem the organisation.Ever considered it might be a mistake on the web designers part?
For all you know that specific organisation might be good for the people who train in it.

I have said my piece, do as you will, but constant slating of karate ka/ martial artists to me goes against the ethics of most martial artists I know. Its a pity you dont live in the UK. Have you ever thought of visiting? I am sure a lot of practioners in dojos would welcome you. Quite a lot of practioners do read this forum. That is is how I found about it.

Pity that the technical side seems to be missing on the karate forum.

Edited by photosmart (01/17/07 03:28 PM)

#312401 - 01/17/07 03:44 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: photosmart]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Photosmart -

I think you misread Ed's comment. Ed did not say that he studied Kimura Shukokai himself.

Quote by Ed Morris -

Quote:

Roy Stanhope is not part of Yoseikan, as far as I know, he's studied Kimura Shukokai. so I'm confused by your reference to him in this thread.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga