FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Tomsmithh, exofozulo, Sumit, vick, sitpholek
23090 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
MassPadawan 2
vick 1
February
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28
New Topics
Looking for an Arnis coach
by vick
02/07/17 02:35 AM
Philosophy of Martial Art
by jackharrel
01/10/17 07:25 AM
Pregnancy and training
by
04/23/06 02:31 AM
Recent Posts
Pregnancy and training
by MassPadawan
02/08/17 01:37 PM
Philosophy of Martial Art
by MassPadawan
02/06/17 06:08 PM
Forum Stats
23090 Members
36 Forums
35673 Topics
432696 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#312372 - 01/04/07 02:18 PM anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ?
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoseikan

looks like they are doing some wonderful things in the UK with that style:
http://www.yoseikan.co.uk/page7.html
"SENSEI JOE COULES" looks about 10 years old.

anyway, despite the obvious mcdojo-itis...is it (or suppossed to be) a blend of Karate and Aikido? and does it have a kata curriculum?

thanks.

#312373 - 01/04/07 02:48 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Ed_Morris]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Yes,

I have seen a couple of classes and know one black belt in that style. I have met the head instructor in the States, Sensei Auge, once...nice, humble man with seemingly good abilities in Aikido and Judo. The technical merits for the advanced students in the Aikido side of things seemed quite good. And the black belt with whom I am familar with is a decent grappler.

The karate, as I have seen and have been exposed to by said black belt, is 'traditional' and too basic (to my liking) and for which I did not hold much consideration when practicing with this black belt, at least with respect to the karate portion as shown to me personally. The focus, however, was probably more on Aikido than the striking arts. The striking and kicking seemed more akin to Shotokan. This may not be true for other dojos, but the karate side of things did not warrant my consideration.

Here's a link to the Torrance head dojo.

http://www.yoseikanbudo.com/eng/hombudojo.shtml

-B

#312374 - 01/04/07 02:59 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Ed_Morris]
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
Err Ed, might be payback time I fear, but Yoseikan Budo is my discipline… mainly karate.

Never heard of these guys. I do know they are nothing to do with Hiroo Mochizuki.
As you say seem mostly kids

Yoseikan was the first style of karate in the UK, it was old Shotokan, when the shotokan masters actually came to the UK, Mochizuki reverted to the name Yoseikan Karate.

Yoseikan was actually the school that practiced most of the MA.

.So the kata would be the shotokan style in karate, with the normal
Ueshiba aikido kata, and iaido kata, with the Judo “kata” { what ever they are called}

Hiroo Mochizuki developed yoseikan budo from his time training with other disciplines. With a very heavy boxing influence.

I trained and graded under Hiroo Mochizuki, he was really incredible and I think you now how cynical I am!!

He did develop yoseikan budo kata, calling them happoken,

Found the first one:-

http://home.planet.nl/~roos5784/happo/happo.htm Bit crap pics..

With the terrible martial political set up in the UK, to get genuine Governing body dan grades {and insurance} we had to get pure Karate grades in shotokan to teach kicks and punches, and Jujitsu dan grades for the locks throws etc. Got away with weapons as there wasn’t a governing body…..

We found that as Yoseikan Budo is so damn demanding, takes a good 7-10yrs to get 1st dan, most students tended to just want karate, so most of my clubs were just that, Shotokan karate, performed in the old Yoseikan way, { main difference is higher faster stances}

Lol Ed, I don’t feel a hypocrite at all

Real Yoseikan Budo is something special, but yoseikan karate in the UK is just shotokan with another name.

Im just off to get my crash helmet.

Regards

Mark

PS: be gentle

#312375 - 01/04/07 07:56 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Ed_Morris]
Mr_Moogle Offline

Yea, I currently do Yoseikan-Ryu Karate, and after about 3-4 years, or at least from the dojo I'm learning from, I am really not impressed.

In my dojo, they do not teach you how to punch and kick properly, and the belt system (in Australia) we follow have multiple stripes in between each colour. From my reading of other various styles while I'm trying to switch styles soon, I guess it does follow a Shotokan-based sorta system, in that our katas are somewhat similar and have the same kata name and other various principles and aspects.

The style, at least from here, is quite tournament based. They seem to advocate high kicks (don't know about you guys, but I don't really like using it in a street confrontation), reverse punches and other point sparring type moves. Sparring is mostly no to light contact.

I'm not too shocked by the fees, 160 Australian dollars every 3 months is alright, yea?

So yea, in summary, Yoseikan karate is something I would not recommend, at least in Australia. It's pretty much Shotokan from what I've seen, but I guess only worse and more tournamentish sorta aspects. A lot more belts than most styles as well. The students themselves are pretty low standard as well, can't punch or kick. The only reason why I am able to even punch half decently or kick at a basic level is from my dad and the internet, nothing else. I want to get out, and join another karate style like Goju-ryu or something but have to wait...

I don't know about Yoseikan Budo, I heard it was pretty good. But I don't recommend Yoseikan Karate.

Just my experience.

#312376 - 01/05/07 08:40 AM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: mark]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Knowing Ed, I doubt it's a 'coincidence'.

Quote:

Err Ed, might be payback time I fear, but Yoseikan Budo is my discipline… mainly karate.

#312377 - 01/05/07 09:00 AM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: harlan]
Ives Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: the Netherlands
You should do a search on Edgar Kruyning, he wrote several books on Yoskeikan Budo and Dynamic Budo.
I've met him once on a seminar. He seems rather competent and knows what he is doing.

Yoseikan consists of: Karate, Judo, Aikido and many more.
Yoseikan Bond Nederland
It is best to open in a translator. Dutch to English.

#312378 - 01/05/07 12:00 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Ed_Morris]
Khayman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
Yes Ed,

I have heard of Yoseikan, Both Mr V (the old administrator and moderator of this site) and myself trained in Yoseikan under Mark. There has been previous discussion on this some time ago for example:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...rue#Post1576870

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...224&fpart=3

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...amp;Search=true

There was an article by Steve Carlo in the June 2002 Fighters Magazine which mentioned our club and the history of Yoseikan. You could aloways read up on vernon bell for more information on Yoseikan and the UK.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-1029657,00.html

Steve

Edited by Khayman (01/05/07 12:04 PM)

#312379 - 01/05/07 08:52 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Khayman]
Khayman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
ED, As both Mark and I have previously stated for the nth time yoseikan does have kata.

#312380 - 01/05/07 09:00 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: Khayman]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

thank-you. so 'Yoseikan Karate' and 'Yoseikan Budo' are two separate styles? and the mcdojo link I pointed out was 'Yoseikan Karate' ? why do they reference Vernon Bell? wasn't he 'Yoseikan Budo' ? confusing.

Vernon Bell...Vernon Bell...now why does that name sound familiar....

#312381 - 01/05/07 09:49 PM Re: anyone ever hear of Yoseikan ? [Re: mark]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

"Yoseikan Budo is my discipline… mainly karate."

I'm confused mark...if you did 'mainly karate', wouldn't that be "Yoseikan Karate" ?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga