FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 25 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#311491 - 01/09/07 05:18 PM Re: how does kyokushin work [Re: koji112091]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
No getting hit in the chest doesn't hurt like it does being hit in the face. You can condition your body to take hard body shots but its really hard to condition the fragile bones of the center of the face to absorb heavy blows.

Some people can take being hit in the face longer and harder then others, bad thing is that you bleed easy from being hit in the face, you also bleed freely. Even if you can take it theres something about seeing and feeling your own blood being slashed all over the place that drains you.
Thinking about bleeding out you get weak.

I'd take a body shot that I can ward off or shift off anyday then a shot to the chin or tip of the nose.

I will say this a broken rib takes longer to heal then a bloodied nose. I'd take the bloodied nose over a broken rib!!!

how does kyokushin work. Kick his butt before he kicks yours by the rules.

Edited by Neko456 (01/09/07 05:21 PM)

#311492 - 01/09/07 09:29 PM Re: how does kyokushin work [Re: Neko456]
koji112091 Offline

Loc: texas
Thanks you put my qustions in a nut shell.
My next qustion would be; Why do some other ryu have head shots but not the so called strongest karate?

#311493 - 01/10/07 01:21 PM Re: how does kyokushin work [Re: koji112091]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Thanks you put my qustions in a nut shell.
My next qustion would be; Why do some other ryu have head shots but not the so called strongest karate?

What other "ryu"? Do you mean other styles of karate? Such as?

#311494 - 01/10/07 02:41 PM Re: how does kyokushin work [Re: koji112091]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

Why do some other ryu have head shots but not the so called strongest karate?

Koji, methinks you've had no experience with other karate styles.

Kyokushin may seem to be the strongest, but dont underestimate the others. It's not the style, but the practitioner who makes a style strong or not.

Goju-ryu for example is all about up-close and personal. From experience, which is around 1 year of training with these guys 4 days a week which consist of 3 days of sparring, I can say, they do not hit softly and their kicks may not be high but super-fast because it's not aimed high. Another thing, their blocks may seem to be a simple block until you've found yourself grabbed and thrown to the ground. Goju-ryu is not something to be looked down on. They may look like the simple linear karate, but their circular techniques and foot works screws me up a lot because of my linear (Muay Thai) background.

Shotokan. I had the opportunity to spar with a person of Shotokan background. A tall guy from Chiang Mai who entered the All-Thailand to test himself, much like me. He was a lot taller than me and trust me was his kicks annoying and powerful. He would play it safe at a distance and when I did manage to close the gap, his mae-geri pushed me out again. His kiai was impressive too.

So in Thailand there's two things you can expect. First style is fast paced, up close bombardment of strikes. The second style is from afar with very strong attacks that makes blocking them very regretful.

All-Thailand allows full contact with no low kicks being the only rule that makes it not that "full". A plastic face-guard is also worn if it's kumite, but if it's the point based system, no protection is worn.

-Taison out

#311495 - 01/10/07 02:49 PM Re: how does kyokushin work [Re: koji112091]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Another thing. Boxers are well able to make a proper fist. Look at the MMA practitioners; most of them come from either boxing or muay thai background. I dont see them not being able to make a proper fist.

-Taison out

#311496 - 01/10/07 03:24 PM Re: how does kyokushin work [Re: koji112091]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Agree with Taison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=292RJFjGCKA&mode=related&search=

This is a clip Oldman found a little while ago. Look at it. The style in the clip is Shotokan. No it isn't Kyoshunkin, but does it look "soft" in anyway? Do all Shotokan schools train this way? No. But as has been said, its not the style, but the way they practice.

#311497 - 01/10/07 05:15 PM Re: how does kyokushin work [Re: Prizewriter]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
That was some good Shotokan Kumite but they seem to have basic sparring faults they posse too much and they don't know how to use circluar foot work as a defense or offense. They posses with there hands and keeps their leg cocked at knee instead of moving to another position.

That was a good display of Kumite but at black belt level the straight in an out assaults are Karate trapped in a method. If they fought other full contact styles this would get them in bad trouble.

I did see some strong basic, alot of slipping and hell you shouldn't have, nice sweep and throws. Lots of striaght strikes not many circle ones. It looks close to how our 1st level at the BB level is done except we use circle strikes and evasive footwork to atatck and defend.

Years ago what I found was that instead of always the long powerful strikes, pending range use the shorter strikes and as he falls away use the longer powerful strikes. When I 1st started sparring full contact these guys could hit me five times to my one powerful strike. You got to learn your range and how not to crowd your effective striking distance. Learn your effective punching/striking range and when to adjust the strikes.

I'm not knocking this clip it was exciting and indicitive of the strong Shotokan practictioners that I've met they give and take contact well. But they fight straight forward with shallow angles.This great clip can show how you can be trapped in a method good or bad. I enjoyed the kumite it was tough, looks like Shotokan that I've seen. Tough folks.

Not only Shotokan other Karates are trapped in methods especailly the dojos that have closed events.

Edited by Neko456 (01/10/07 05:23 PM)

#311498 - 01/10/07 06:50 PM Re: how does kyokushin work [Re: koji112091]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Koji

"why do some ryu have head shots...but..."

I think your confusing "competition sparring" with "training."

The kk folks may restrcit their head shots are tournys--but they most certainly train them and use them otherwise.

Its not that they don't have them--just restric their use in tournys.

Like some ryu allow groin kicks and blows or grabs, grappling, locks etc when in training--but they are often NOT allow at tournys.

Does not mean that they don't have them--just they control where they are used.

Edited by cxt (01/10/07 06:51 PM)

#311499 - 01/12/07 11:44 PM Re: how does kyokushin work [Re: Taison]
koji112091 Offline

Loc: texas
Hey sorry for the confussion i might have caused you.
when I said the "strongest karate" I ment what I heard on alot of sites. They must be favoring kyokushin and nothing else. I dont agre with it. I know that its not what you know its how much you practice it that truely counts.

When I said other ryus I ment stuff like MMA not realy the karates.

#311500 - 01/20/07 05:18 AM Re: how does kyokushin work [Re: koji112091]
Graham2007 Offline
Stranger

Loc: London, England.
Quote:

hello i was wondering about something. i just read something simular to this.my question is how do you fight in kyokushin tournaments. i know that it is full contact karate and you can not hit the head with the arm but you can with your leg. bu why kicks are alot more dangerious than punches and why can we not practice all of our attacks on our oppenent of course not the thumb fist but why not the seakan or hammer fist ect. allso how do they judge the rounds can we knock people out or just knock them over?
if there is tournaments like k1 or ufc why cant there bee something like that for kyokushin?

bye and happy newyears

Kicks are usually more dangerous than punches/hand strikes simply because legs are a long stronger than arms - often up to four times stronger. If you look at it - arms hang from your shoulders & only support their own weight, but legs support all the bodyweight while standing, along with their own weight, so they're always stronger.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga