FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 2
ergees 2
kolslaw 1
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
09/09/14 05:55 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432491 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#310021 - 12/22/06 07:12 PM stoping a punch with forehead
csrichie Offline

I heard that u only concern about punches that is coming to ur jaw and hooks. When someone punches to the top of ur skull (not the side where u hit by a hook), they will get hurt more than u will. some instructors even tells their students to do so as oppose to moving back.

However is this true? i found articles online saying that soccer players scored a low score on many brain skill tests such as short term memory ect. in comparsion to swimmers, which might be due to frequent headbutting in the sport.

So although taking punches using ur forehead will not cause immedialy knock out or pain, will it eventually lead to brain damage?

and whatabout some of the karate school that trains headbutts on sand bags? can they develop brain damage from repeatly headbutting the sand bags everyday?

#310022 - 12/22/06 07:40 PM Re: stoping a punch with forehead [Re: csrichie]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
err. . .

Quote:

. When someone punches to the top of ur skull (not the side where u hit by a hook), they will get hurt more than u will. some instructors even tells their students to do so as oppose to moving back.

No offense meant but how stupid is that? Ok, imagine the force of around 250kg coming your way and you take that with your forehead. Ok, you probably won't get knocked out but your neck however will take serious damage.

The force will make your head recline back very violently which can cause major damage on your neck and nerves around there.

Quote:

So although taking punches using ur forehead will not cause immedialy knock out or pain, will it eventually lead to brain damage?

Of course. What do you think? The brain is a very delicate tissue that is very fragile to shock.

Quote:

and whatabout some of the karate school that trains headbutts on sand bags?

Like which? I'm a karate-ka and I've never even heard of any school that does head-butts. Ok, my instructor tells us like once a year that you can do a head-butt from a situation but that's really rare.

Quote:

can they develop brain damage from repeatly headbutting the sand bags everyday?

C'mon this is common sense. Yes.

-Taison out

#310023 - 12/22/06 09:54 PM Re: stoping a punch with forehead [Re: csrichie]
Romako Offline

I get a headache just thinking about it.
Deff not a safe block

#310024 - 12/23/06 12:31 AM Re: stoping a punch with forehead [Re: csrichie]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
Quote:

However is this true? i found articles online saying that soccer players scored a low score on many brain skill tests such as short term memory ect. in comparsion to swimmers, which might be due to frequent headbutting in the sport.

Headbutting a sack of air with your body weight in it wont give you brain damage. People who play football for a living are just generally less smart in my opinion.

#310025 - 12/23/06 01:05 AM Re: stoping a punch with forehead [Re: csrichie]
ambiguity Offline

Loc: Australia
taison is definately on the ball here,but if the situation comes about where you cant 'slip' a punch the forehead is much better than a split eyebrow

#310026 - 12/23/06 02:57 AM Re: stoping a punch with forehead [Re: ambiguity]
Taison Offline
The Forum Dragon
Professional Poster

Loc: BKK, Thailand
Quote:

taison is definately on the ball here

It's Lord Taison to you. Capital "T" on the beginning with the pre-fix "Lord". This is my domain.

Muhahaha

Back to the subject;
Quote:

if the situation comes about where you cant 'slip' a punch the forehead is much better than a split eyebrow

The forehead is the hardest part of the head but due to it being located near the top of the head, when punched it will force the head to recline back very violently like I stated previously. So if you do decide taking a hit there, you better beg to god that your neck is well trained. I've seen people taken a shot there and unable to move their neck for a few days.

-Taison out

#310027 - 12/23/06 05:07 AM Re: stoping a punch with forehead [Re: Taison]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
1) Dont block punches with your forehead. You are not Jet Li
2) If your aim fails, then you end up "blocking" the punch with your face (ouchies)

Edited by Taison (12/23/06 05:13 AM)

#310028 - 12/23/06 06:12 AM Re: stoping a punch with forehead [Re: csrichie]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Csrichie, are you on a suicide mission? http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...e=0&fpart=1

I read your post about shadow boxing too. Go find a proper school to train at ASAP, otherwise you may do a mischief to yourself sooner rather than later...

#310029 - 12/23/06 08:33 AM Re: stoping a punch with forehead [Re: csrichie]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
I believe that Royce Gracie blocked a punch from Keith Hackney using the CROWN of his head. He thought Keith might have broken his hand but he also said that he felt like his scalp might have been lacerated. That's just what I heard him say once.

It's not something that he said he was likely to do again. I would have to agree.

-John

#310030 - 12/23/06 08:37 AM Re: stoping a punch with forehead [Re: csrichie]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

I heard that u only concern about punches that is coming to ur jaw and hooks. When someone punches to the top of ur skull (not the side where u hit by a hook), they will get hurt more than u will. some instructors even tells their students to do so as oppose to moving back.

I have heard this as well, but only as a last resort ie; you can't evade or block the incoming strike. Getting KO'd is a possibility doing this.

Quote:

It can, which is why I don't recommend it as a primary tactic. And to say that it won't cause pain is a big reach, too.

Quote:

and whatabout some of the karate school that trains headbutts on sand bags? can they develop brain damage from repeatly headbutting the sand bags everyday?

Regular, sensible headbutt practice on a heavy bag should not cause any harm. I don't see the need to practice that technique everyday, either. Meh.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga