FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#309083 - 12/19/06 05:24 PM Leo's Workout, Food and (maybe) Photograph Log
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Well, I've finally decided to get fit again and this time I'm going to do it the smart way and make a habit out of it so I can stay fit (really fit) for the rest of my life.

My goals are:
Short term:
-Prevent injuries from practicing breakdancing.
-Improve my MA ability.
-Be happy with the state of my body. (I don't mind being admired for it either )
Medium term:
-Perform a one armed pushup.
-Perform a one armed chin up.
-Perform a pistol (one legged squat).
-Perform a one armed ab-wheel rollout.
-Perform a planche.
-Perform a one arm handstand pushup.
Long term goals:
-Be able to perform the above for as long as physically possible.
-Be as fit as a decent gymnast until I'm well beyond 80.
-Continue to train and have a healthy, protein rich, restricted carb diet for the rest of my life.

Yeah, I'm determined. Plenty of people have done this before. This is a good challenge. Even if it takes decades of training, I'm going to pull this off. I'll prove it can be done even by an ordinary guy like me.

Impossible is only a word.

The details of my new lifestyle:
-I'll be following Ross Enamait's beginner's training plan from Never Gymless to start with. http://www.rosstraining.com/nevergymless.html I intend to move on to his 50 day plan as soon as possible. (His beginner's routine is amazing! I've never encountered a program quite as complete, his core training routine is incredible.)
-I'll be following the T-Dawg Diet but without supplements. http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=473067 http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=162miss2 I've been on this diet for the past 3 weeks and I've never felt better in my life. I recover from my workouts faster, I've got more energy, my mind is sharper and I'm generally in a better mood all the time because of it. Plus it doesn't even feel like a diet! I'm eating more than I used to before I started and I get to eat more of the kinds of food I like. (meat and veggies yum! ) Guess I'm a low-carb guy. Possibly the best decision I've ever made in terms of my training was to try this out. Nutrition is half of what makes you fit!
-I'll be doing breakdancing training on weekends to supplement Ross' program.

My initial focus will be strengthening my rotator cuff which has been injured in the past. Following this, I will move on to chin ups which I have always been weak with.

My logbook (when I get ahold of it) will contain:
-Everything I eat and nutritional content (within reason, I'm not going to be pedentic about stuff like Green Tea).
-My favourite recipes for you all to try out (so says Chef Leo! ).
-Every exercise I do every day.
-A weekly photo of myself, which I may or may not post on the forum. (I thought this would be interesting to see how effective the diet + routine I am experimenting with is visually. I'm assured that it will be very effective.)
-My waist size measurement (initially).
-My weight.

All this so that if it's successful, other people can try it out too!

I've got a few additions to the T-Dawg diet. Firstly, I will be using a home made protein shake after workouts and whenever necessary, rather than a commercially produced one. I will not be taking supplements but I will be taking a daily multivitamin and a minimum of 1650 mg of EPA/DHA in the form of fish oil daily. (Unfortunately, I can only afford the Boots variety, although I'd prefer Flameout, so only 660 mg of that will be DHA)

If this workout doesn't suit me (which I highly doubt) I'll switch to something similar but mix it up. I'm a big fan of bodyweight training because of the little equipment needed and the convenience of it. Plus, I was raised on bodyweight training from the age of 4, so it's what I'm used to.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (12/19/06 05:49 PM)

#309084 - 12/19/06 05:53 PM Re: Leo's Workout, Food and (maybe) Photograph Log [Re: Leo_E_49]
Joe7987 Offline

Loc: Orlando, FL
Sounds like a plan. Good luck!

#309085 - 12/19/06 06:21 PM Re: Leo's Workout, Food and (maybe) Photograph Log [Re: Joe7987]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Right, I've got a bit of a workout log started.

Monday
3 sets of the following circuit (beginner's circuit for Monday):
Pushups - 20 reps
Body rows - 8 reps
Squats - 25 reps
Hamstring curls - 10 reps
Pike press - 8 reps
Internally rotated rotator cuff band pull - 5 reps
Externally rotated rotator cuff band pull - 5 reps
Isometric overhead press - 5 seconds
Isometric leg press - 5 seconds

Tuesday
20 minutes hill sprinting (ended up more like a jog )
3 sets of the following (Core Workout 1):
Crunches - 10 reps
Lying hip swing - 10 reps
Plank - 60 seconds

Waist size: 96 centimetres (38 inches).
Weight: 93 kilograms (205 pounds). (Note: I actually want to gain muscle weight, weight loss is not a goal of mine.)

I'll add in nutritional information to my log when I get my scales and measuring cup tomorrow.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (12/19/06 06:30 PM)

#309086 - 12/19/06 11:30 PM Re: Leo's Workout, Food and (maybe) Photograph Log [Re: Leo_E_49]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

I should say that, being a student, I don't have all that much to spend on equipment, supplements and the sort. I've got enough to make long term investments which have high payoff but less cost effective things are not an option (like I recently purchased a door gym chinup bar for use with all of the pulling exercises I'll need to be doing but I wouldn't purchase a rowing machine or regularly purchase supplements). This means that if my routines work, it'll be quite cost effective for students to use this method to train. Plus, all of my routines use only a 4x4 foot area to train in (except for my hill running that is) so taking up living space with equipment is not an issue.

#309087 - 12/20/06 12:01 PM Re: Leo's Workout, Food and (maybe) Photograph Log [Re: Leo_E_49]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
What's your height and (roughly) your bodyfat level Leo? I don't expect a bf %, just a "I'm a bit porky/I am more shredded than Bruce Lee" type of response

Good luck bud, I'll be watching this with interest, since I'll become a student next year

Edit: Oh, and where are you studying?

Edited by TimBlack (12/20/06 12:02 PM)

#309088 - 12/20/06 02:26 PM Re: Leo's Workout, Food and (maybe) Photograph Log [Re: TimBlack]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Definitely overweight. Only since I came to the UK though, it's harder to exercise and eat healthy here than it is back home in Singapore. There's just no free facilities (like pullup bars, benches, hanging rings) here, where as in Singapore, you get them in every neighbourhood. When I was fit, I was pretty slim and muscular (lifeguard kind, not bodybuilder). Food here is also higher in fat and carbohydrates and is more processed with higher contents of nasties, such as hydrogenated oils. I'm not sure whether I'll post photos because I'm a bit embarrassed of how much I've slipped to be honest but if people really want to see how the diet + routine progresses, in the interest of the experiment, I guess I could.

I'm around 174 cm tall (5 foot 9 inches). Mind you, don't pay attention to the BMI calculations, they're a rubbish way of telling whether someone is overweight. As I said, I want to gain muscle weight and strength. Losing excess fat will come as a consequence of these goals and losing fat will not be a central goal of mine. (Although less useless weight will help with my breakdancing)

Definitely be very careful about what you eat as a student, I gained 13kg since I came to this country as a student. Definitely get some sort of diet plan and make sure you exercise 3 times a week and don't let anything get in the way of that (it's tough but I realise now that it's necessary). Eat healthy, cook all your meals yourself. Don't get takeaways or microwave meals, that's part of what did this to me. The best way to be cost effective is to cook a huge meal on the weekend and in the middle of the week and put it in the fridge so you can eat it over several days. I wish I'd done this 2 years ago but at least I'm doing it now.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (12/20/06 02:48 PM)

#309089 - 12/20/06 05:01 PM Re: Leo's Workout, Food and (maybe) Photograph Log [Re: Leo_E_49]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Quote:

Definitely be very careful about what you eat as a student, I gained 13kg since I came to this country as a student. Definitely get some sort of diet plan and make sure you exercise 3 times a week and don't let anything get in the way of that (it's tough but I realise now that it's necessary). Eat healthy, cook all your meals yourself. Don't get takeaways or microwave meals, that's part of what did this to me. The best way to be cost effective is to cook a huge meal on the weekend and in the middle of the week and put it in the fridge so you can eat it over several days. I wish I'd done this 2 years ago but at least I'm doing it now.

My plan is to get a crock-pot (slow cooker) and do exactly that... lots of chicken in the crock-pot, and a load of rice in a saucepan = lots of chicken and rice for me

#309090 - 12/20/06 05:11 PM Re: Leo's Workout, Food and (maybe) Photograph Log [Re: TimBlack]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Don't forget the veggies man. Green leafy veggies every day is the way to go if you want to be healthy. Salads are great fun to make but you can also look up stir fry dishes in various student cook books which all taste really great. Remember, don't let it get stale, keep trying to cook new dishes every so often so you keep interested in eating healthy.

Also check out fish oil tablets too from Boots they're pretty reasonably priced and they do a world of good in terms of keeping fit both mentally and physically. Just go buy a pack (they're reasonably priced) and see the difference you feel when you have 3 tablets a day. (Of course, BioTest Flameout is the best fish oil but students can't be picky right?)

I may as well put down some of my favourite quick snack foods which I use as small meals:

-Can of salmon with a dash of balsamic vinegar and black pepper. YUM! Add some iceberg lettuce (you can get it pre-shreded and washed) and you've got a great salad too.
-A bowl full of cottage cheese with some black pepper, chives and some Tabasco sauce.
-A handful of rasins and nuts.
-Prunes. Great for antioxidants and fibre.
-Microwaved scrambled eggs with American style sausages (also microwaved, you can get these in a can which is really convenient).

Edited by Leo_E_49 (12/20/06 05:20 PM)

#309091 - 12/20/06 11:30 PM Re: Leo's Workout, Food and (maybe) Photograph Log [Re: Leo_E_49]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Just so everyone knows, I'll be updating whenever I feel like it but at least once a week.

Wednesday
3 sets of (Beginner's Training Plan Day 3)
Dumbell chest press - 8 reps
Dumbell jerk - 10 reps
Bodyweight squats - 25 reps
Dumbell good mornings - 10 reps
Bench dips - 8 reps
Internal RC band pull - 10 reps
External RC band pull - 10 reps

2 sets of (My personal grip training routine)
Gripper closes - 30 reps
(Attempted) Pinch grip closes - 5 reps
Fingertip-ups (45deg) - 10 reps

Note: All dumbell exercises done with two dumbells, each 30 lbs. The gripper I used is the heaviest commercial one I could find in this town. I'm training for grip endurance rather than maximal strength, hence the high reps. I don't want to end up having my grip loosen from tiring when grappling with people. As far as maximal grip strength goes, I'll develop that with towel pull-ups when I get there.

I'm surprised with how fit I still am. This routine was easier than Monday and Tuesday and even those I didn't find too difficult. I expected to have a great deal more difficulty than I'm experiencing. Maybe I'll be able to progress to the intermediate routines sooner than I expected.

Edit: My diet change probably has something to do with it. I seem to recover at least twice as quickly as I used to when I was training back in Singapore. No sore muscles or aching anywhere.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (12/20/06 11:31 PM)

#309092 - 12/21/06 01:36 AM Re: Leo's Workout, Food and (maybe) Photograph Log [Re: Leo_E_49]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Fingertip-ups are my own "invention" I'm not sure they've been invented before (actually they're so obvious that I'm sure someone's done them before).

Basically you find a wall and press your hands against it with your body at an angle to the wall, similar to a wall push up. Make sure your heels are off the ground and your shoulders are straight out next to your chin with your elbows locked. No cheating by using your elbows or shoulders to press off the wall. Then you press downwards with your fingertips until your hands are in line with your arms (straight at the wrist) and return to the starting position.

I presume this technique will eventually progress to the edge of a table when you get stronger and down to a bench and theoretically to a position where you raise your legs above your hands to get more weight.

There is a theoretical maximum force you can apply with just your bodyweight but I don't think anyone has forearms so strong they can lift their entire bodyweight on them anyway. That kind of strength would be impressive indeed.

A great bodyweight wrist strengthening technique for handstands and requires no equipment what so ever.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga