FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 53 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#308853 - 12/24/06 12:49 AM Re: Spiral boxing form video [Re: JKogas]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
John, though I do see where you're coming from. Fighting in a friendly manner where everyone can learn and benefit, but the nice-ness of this is ruined by a few un-mannered, rowdy folk. However, looking at the kind of peace and serenity that one achieves through your TMA is in my eyes a bit different from the kind that you seem to get. Unless your MMA training involves things like meditation and lots of internal breathing excercises then I'm probably wrong.

Both your traditional and modern MA training benefits the health. But most kinds of physical competition that are explosive, whether it be soccer, hockey, basketball, and combat sports provoke physical injury. Yes there are lots of athletes that survive their career with no injuries but there are also alot who do get injured. So there is that alternate healthy and peaceful benefit of practicing something like a kata.

In my mind though I think that a person who truely becomes a master can use his tools to the fullest but is also peaceful, serene, and in touch with themselves. They would sound like enlightened buddhas when you talk to them but can come down on you like lightning & thunder if pushed enough.

#308854 - 12/24/06 01:03 AM Re: Spiral boxing form video [Re: JKogas]
ashe_higgs Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: phoenix
Quote:

Strong body mechanics for epileptic fits?

The "seizure" form...I like it. That's not bad. When someone approaches you, you can start spazzing out like this and they'll certainly think you're crazy. I mean, who attacks an insane person, right?!

Hey, it might work AFTER ALL, lol.

-John

dude do you actually bother to READ someones post? or do you just love to hate cma so much you just launch right into your vitriolics?

my point was exactly that this form is NOT LIKELY TO BE TRADITIONAL PRECISELY BECAUSE IT LACKS GOOD BODY MECHANICS!

#308855 - 12/24/06 08:36 AM Re: Spiral boxing form video [Re: IExcalibui2]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
IExcalibui2 wrote:
Quote:

John, though I do see where you're coming from. Fighting in a friendly manner where everyone can learn and benefit, but the nice-ness of this is ruined by a few un-mannered, rowdy folk. However, looking at the kind of peace and serenity that one achieves through your TMA is in my eyes a bit different from the kind that you seem to get. Unless your MMA training involves things like meditation and lots of internal breathing excercises then I'm probably wrong.

Again, unmannered people are everywhere, but if I do get them, they don’t last long (for various reasons). Meditation and the like is fine. But did you realize that you can meditate and breathe while moving? I swear that grappling can be very much like meditation. I mean, I don’t have to sit perfectly still to be of “no-mind”. Not knocking your method however or saying it’s wrong. I’m just trying to further explain away some misconceptions about my own that seem to persist.

Sure there are gyms where you have more egos. That’s everywhere, in every style and system.

Quote:

Both your traditional and modern MA training benefits the health. But most kinds of physical competition that are explosive, whether it be soccer, hockey, basketball, and combat sports provoke physical injury.

“Explosive”? Brazilian jiu-jitsu? Sure it CAN be, but it doesn’t HAVE to be. Wish you guys could come train with me for a day.

Quote:

Yes there are lots of athletes that survive their career with no injuries but there are also alot who do get injured. So there is that alternate healthy and peaceful benefit of practicing something like a kata.

Certainly! And some folks want to develop the ability to defend themselves as well. They’re not getting that from kata.

Quote:

In my mind though I think that a person who truely becomes a master can use his tools to the fullest but is also peaceful, serene, and in touch with themselves. They would sound like enlightened buddhas when you talk to them but can come down on you like lightning & thunder if pushed enough.

You should talk with the Machados’ sometime.

ashe_higgs wrote:
Quote:

dude do you actually bother to READ someones post? or do you just love to hate cma so much you just launch right into your vitriolics?

my point was exactly that this form is NOT LIKELY TO BE TRADITIONAL PRECISELY BECAUSE IT LACKS GOOD BODY MECHANICS!

Dude, sure I read it. I misinterpreted it. Don’t get irregular.

You had written:

Quote:

s i said, that form is very wushu (IMO). traiditonal CMA emphasize the use of strong body mechanics.

Now that I understand what you’re saying a bit more, that sentence signifies that wushu is different than traditional CMA. At first when I read it, I misinterpreted it to mean that the form is “very wushu” and, that it had strong body mechanics because wushu was traditional. You’ll excuse me for not being up on Chinese terminology. I am American so learning a foreign vernacular isn’t really my cup of tea.

Perhaps you should realize that not everyone realizes that wushu is different from more traditional CMA. How would I know that considering I don’t study it.

-John

#308856 - 12/24/06 02:19 PM Re: Spiral boxing form video [Re: JKogas]
Dudley32 Offline
master of disaster

Loc: Indiana
Come on everybody. You are all crazy. Everybody knows that this is an ancient groin manipulation form. Although it was meant to be for women being attacked on the street when it was initially created. Some of the more feminine Chinese have taken a liking to it.

Matt

#308857 - 12/24/06 02:39 PM Re: Spiral boxing form video [Re: JKogas]
ashe_higgs Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: phoenix
Quote:

Now that I understand what you&#8217;re saying a bit more, that sentence signifies that wushu is different than traditional CMA. At first when I read it, I misinterpreted it to mean that the form is &#8220;very wushu&#8221; and, that it had strong body mechanics because wushu was traditional. You&#8217;ll excuse me for not being up on Chinese terminology. I am American so learning a foreign vernacular isn&#8217;t really my cup of tea.

Perhaps you should realize that not everyone realizes that wushu is different from more traditional CMA. How would I know that considering I don&#8217;t study it.
-John

fair enough. my apologies.

for future reference;

wushu: modern, athletic/gymnastic performance art. this is the stuff that you see in the movies.

traditional CMA: this is "teh real" stuff, and can actually be used for fighting.

this is what TCMA looks like;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4RUMAt_Qq8&mode=related&search=

Edited by ashe_higgs (12/24/06 02:52 PM)

#308858 - 12/24/06 08:02 PM Re: Spiral boxing form video [Re: ashe_higgs]
IExcalibui2 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York City
John
Its not that you can't meditate while moving but its different. If you talk to a Yoga freak they'll tell you about chakra points and everything that need to be aligned and so & so for maximum healthiness & sort. So the meditative state that you would achieve with movement or no movement will be different, but meditative states none the less.

Also about the explosiveness, I know it can be soft because I've personally done it before. I'm just presenting another perspective.

And katas arent designed to help you become a better fighter. Health and techniques probably are the focus. Health in terms of the breathing, the mental state of mind, and muscle stimulation. At the same time the artist is getting to practice their techniques and sharpen their skills ever so much more. Think of like a samurai meditating and out of no where draws his sword slices a falling leaf and then sits back down to meditate again.

#308859 - 12/31/06 05:16 PM Re: Spiral boxing form video [Re: JKogas]
BaguaMonk Offline

Loc: DALLAS TX BABY
Well for those who have no experience with CMA, I can see the outbursts.

First and foremost, CMA differs in JMA in that the forms are just tools to develop a body method and to conceal techniques. In JMA (japanese), you use the techniques straight out of the form, exactly the way it looks. in CMA the application could be completely different from what you see in the form.

But I agree, that this is garbage. Not saying there aren't any valubles techniques hidden in there, but its not really valuble as a conditioning regimen. In fact it trains bad habits.

#308860 - 01/15/07 11:04 PM Re: Spiral boxing form video [Re: BaguaMonk]
tailiugug Offline

Loc: Utah
wow
it is very clear to me that most of of you have no idea what gung fu is about. or just how vularable the human body is below the waist. first off look at the tittle spiral boxing. then look at the flexabilty of the performers joints and ribs, he also diplays a hint of wiping power
it also craks me up about the comments on its traditional creditbiltiy. it seems clear to me that most who commented on this come from commerial training. i see at lest 15 death blows in this form not to mention the value of it internal conditioning.

#308861 - 01/15/07 11:24 PM Re: Spiral boxing form video [Re: tailiugug]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
"Death Blows"? That term alone deems it garbage, IMO.

#308862 - 01/16/07 07:14 AM Re: Spiral boxing form video [Re: Chen Zen]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Death blows, lol

-John

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Gavin, JasonM, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga