FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 10
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:17 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432446 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#308334 - 12/16/06 12:31 PM Stop making it easy for idiots
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I am starting to get tired of well intentioned people jamming safety stuff at me. In the USA, there is talk of making stability control mandatory for all new vehicles sold here.

Driving is a SKILL, yes? So why are we making it easier for morons to drive. If you can't control your vehicle, I don't want you on the road. I suggest removing ALL safety equipment from cars, and putting a big sharp spike in the middle of the steering wheel, aimed at the driver.

I bet that would have a much greater effect on driver safety than high mount brake lights, ABS and the like.

#308335 - 12/16/06 12:57 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: MattJ]
Tezza Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Kent, U.K.
Thats a pretty intense view Matt. I would be interested to see your view on speed cameras ha ha

#308336 - 12/16/06 01:12 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: MattJ]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

haha...good idea. remember the lame 'warnings' people used to put in their windows? "baby on board", "senior citizen driver", etc ...as if that changes the rules of how safe people are going to drive when near them. I'd think the opposite philosophy would work much better: "light sensitive, near-sighted, prone to seizure, narcoleptic, crack addict on board."

I know I'D change my driving habits around such an anouncement...hell, I'd pull over and wait until they are into the next town.

in the spirit of the thread...I never understood the obsession with helmits. I saw a 4 yearold riding a plastic electric toy-car that went about 1.5 miles an hour... he was going less than walking speed. The parents donned their little top gun with a helmit that was so big, it prevented his head from moving freely within the dome of his 'D' battery operated plasti-pod racer.

My software professor in college used to say: "If you try to make software 'idiot proof', then only idiots will find it useful."

#308337 - 12/16/06 01:25 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: MattJ]
Eric4444 Offline

Well of course there are many people who feel that adding more safety features to cars will cause people to drive more recklessly. That's a major argument against Dynamic Stability Control. However, there was the same argument when seatbelts were made mandatory. Well guess what? Now they save thousands of lives per year.
Also, it's not in talks, Dynamic Stability Control WILL be mandatory for all cars after 2010....or 12, can't remember.

#308338 - 12/16/06 01:31 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: Eric4444]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

However, there was the same argument when seatbelts were made mandatory. Well guess what? Now they save thousands of lives per year.

I'm afraid you have missed my Darwinian point, young padawan.

#308339 - 12/16/06 01:52 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: MattJ]
nekogami13 V2.0 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Texas, USA
At the age of 5 or so, everyone should be issued a gun. If you make it to adulthood, congratulations!
If not, be comforted by the fact that your sacrifice made the world a better place.

#308340 - 12/16/06 01:54 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: nekogami13 V2.0]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Quote:

At the age of 5 or so, everyone should be issued a gun. If you make it to adulthood, congratulations!
If not, be comforted by the fact that your sacrifice made the world a better place.

Now you've got it!

#308341 - 12/16/06 02:00 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: MattJ]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
I agree Matt. I can't count how many times I try to light my BBQ pit with even a lighter and I can't work the blasted thing because of the child safety button. What happened to making sure it's out of the kid's reach? People are driving faster now than they did back in the 60's (was that about the time seat belts were manditory?). I won't argue with them. In fact, it's the law here the if you are on public roads, you have to have them on no matter how fast or slow you're going. I think the fine is somewhere around $300 for your first offense. Not real sure though. Some safety I understand but there are times I think common sense is being bred out of people.

Casey

#308342 - 12/16/06 02:23 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: clmibb]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
I was just reading some of the posts to my husband and he brought up a good point. Why is it the the school bus driver has to wear a seat belt but the kids on the bus don't? Doesn't make sense. Some of these kids just got out of their booster seat in mom and dad's car and now they ride around on the bus sometimes twice a day and no seat belts. Something's wrong here.

On the other hand I remember back in the 80's when kids in the back seat didn't need to be in a seat belt. We had a Delta 88 that I would lay in the back dash and wave to the people behind me. My dad would slam on the brakes and I'd roll off and sometimes land on the seat and sometimes landed on the transmission hump in the back floorboard. Great times! Kids these days have no idea what they are missing. Also, my dad told me a story of his childhood. They had a 1950 Bel Aire. My dad was standing up in the front seat (he was about 2) and my grandfather told him several times to sit down. He didn't listen so he slammed on the brakes. My dad smacks his head on the dash (solid metal at the time) and had Bel Aire written backwards on his forehead for several years. He still has a small scar and he's 53!

Casey

#308343 - 12/16/06 03:59 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: MattJ]
Eric4444 Offline

Quote:

Quote:

However, there was the same argument when seatbelts were made mandatory. Well guess what? Now they save thousands of lives per year.

I'm afraid you have missed my Darwinian point, young padawan.

Yeah, I tend to get caught up in facts a lot sorry.
Lol.

Edited by Eric4444 (12/16/06 04:19 PM)

#308344 - 12/16/06 06:50 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: Eric4444]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Stability Control? Thats nothin. There making cars park themselves now. Before too long the cars will drive them wherever they want to go, like little retard taxis.

#308345 - 12/16/06 06:52 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: MattJ]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
We are gradually taking natural selection out of the equation. Which IMO, isn't really a good thing.

-John

#308346 - 12/16/06 07:58 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: JKogas]
Eric4444 Offline

Quote:

We are gradually taking natural selection out of the equation. Which IMO, isn't really a good thing.

-John

So if one of your family members is a bad driver, they either should never drive, or if they do drive, it's a ok that they die....just natural selection right?

#308347 - 12/16/06 08:17 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: Eric4444]
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
Ah yes,

When I was a kid, we used to go sledding at this really cool sledding hill in town. It took quite a bit of athletic ability to get to the very top, and most everybody would wipe out before making it to the bottom. At the bottom of the big hill was a kids hill, with trees and a huge rock separating the two. If you managed to make it all the way there without crashing, you would then have to try and make it between the trees and the rock to get down the kiddie hill. Extra points for every kid you took out on the way down.

Now the trees and rock are gone, you can't go all the way to the top, and there is a snow fence and hay bales separating the big hill from the kiddie hill. Absolutely no fun anymore at all.

Laura

#308348 - 12/16/06 08:31 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: tkd_high_green]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
I'm all for rules/laws that are intended to make others safe from my actions (i.e. smoking bans, speed limits, no firing a gun within city limits). However, I can not stand laws that I am made to obey to protect my own life only (i.e. seatbelts, helmets). I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt and helmet (not at the same time ), but why should I be required to? If I am that stupid not to wear them, the world is better off without me around to procreate.

#308349 - 12/17/06 12:27 AM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: Saisho]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
saisho, 100% agreed. I always say that

#308350 - 12/17/06 10:11 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: Tezza]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

Thats a pretty intense view Matt. I would be interested to see your view on speed cameras ha ha

...or condoms

#308351 - 12/17/06 10:29 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: Saisho]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Quote:

However, I can not stand laws that I am made to obey to protect my own life only (i.e. seatbelts, helmets). I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt and helmet (not at the same time ), but why should I be required to?

You are 100% wrong.

It is not only to protect you or for your own good. It is for the general public's good. If you are seriously injured, which you will be if you do not wear or put on seatbelts, helmets, your medical treatment at the emergency room, stay of a period of time at a hospital, will use up and deplete public funds and resources, thus depriving or reducing public medical resources to other more deserving members of the public.

Quote:

...the world is better off without me around to procreate.

This holds true only if you die instantly (or the procreating part only is rendered unprocreatable) which, regrettably, do not always happen.

Edited by ButterflyPalm (12/17/06 10:38 PM)

#308352 - 12/17/06 10:31 PM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: Eric4444]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

So if one of your family members is a bad driver, they either should never drive, or if they do drive, it's a ok that they die....just natural selection right?

Its not ok, but it IS life.

-John

#308353 - 12/18/06 12:32 AM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Saisho Offline

Quote:

You are 100% wrong.

It is not only to protect you or for your own good. It is for the general public's good. If you are seriously injured, which you will be if you do not wear or put on seatbelts, helmets, your medical treatment at the emergency room, stay of a period of time at a hospital, will use up and deplete public funds and resources, thus depriving or reducing public medical resources to other more deserving members of the public.

I understand your point on the economic aspects. However, I don't see how an opinion can be 100% wrong. Actually, it wasn't even an opinion but a question.

#308354 - 12/18/06 07:16 AM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: Saisho]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Quote:

However, I don't see how an opinion can be 100% wrong.

...because crablord agrees with you 100%

#308355 - 12/18/06 09:32 AM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: ButterflyPalm]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

#308356 - 12/18/06 10:45 AM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Saisho Offline

Quote:

Quote:

However, I don't see how an opinion can be 100% wrong.

...because crablord agrees with you 100%

O.K. Just as long as I know the rules.

#308357 - 12/21/06 09:57 AM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: Saisho]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Sorry guys, my job is safety and saving lives. Only problem with letting the idiots kill themselves is that they tend to take ten or fifteen intelligent people (sometimes more if you look at factory explosions, train wrecks, or huge fires) with them when they cause the catastrophic incident that kills them. So, to keep you and your family members alive, unfortunately, we have to save the idiots as well.

Feel free to take them out in the woods, shoot them (mercy killing), and then bury them in a cave somewhere though. That would make my job easier.

Just a thought,

Scottie

#308358 - 12/26/06 07:56 AM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: RazorFoot]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

*shoots Dauragon c mikado, takes him out to the woods and buries him

#308359 - 01/05/07 05:27 AM Re: Stop making it easy for idiots [Re: ButterflyPalm]
migo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Burnaby, BC, Canada
Quote:

Easy solution. Euthanize anyone who is hospitalised after an accident where they weren't wearing the seatbelt or helmet (unless, in the case of helmet, there was no head injury).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga