FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
Jeff_G 1
Marcus Charles 1
TooNice 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Jeff_G
03/30/14 12:44 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432375 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#308082 - 01/15/07 07:00 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: crablord]
Midnightcrawler Offline
Dragon

Loc: England
Crabby,

Lets try another poll.

Just to clarify something. My education has taught me to apply rational judgement, and to apply critical faculty to a situation, instead of just taking instruction as being 'gospel' and being TOLD how to think and WHAT to think. Far too many MA instructors try to get their customers to think in the same was as they do themselves, this is probably something to do with all that Zen rubbish which many MA organisations involve themselves in. I would much rather think and analyse for myself rather than being told how and what to think/do.

MC.
Would you willingly accept the legal ramifications of lawbreaking? IE Imprisonment or heavy financial penalty, criminal record, inability to obtain employment, financial penalties of living off benefits, social stigma etc.
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 01/15/07 06:59 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Edited by Midnightcrawler (01/15/07 07:10 AM)

#308083 - 01/15/07 07:02 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: Midnightcrawler]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
I voted yes, because I would be happily rotting away in prison, thinking, god damn I'm lucky I hit that dude in the face, or else right now id be dead instead of in jail. I think most people here would agree

(edit) you have still failed to reply to my question

Edited by crablord (01/15/07 07:04 AM)

#308084 - 01/15/07 07:17 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: Midnightcrawler]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Quote:

Just to clarify something. My education has taught me to apply rational judgement, and to apply critical faculty to a situation, instead of just taking instruction as being 'gospel' and being TOLD how to think and WHAT to think. Far too many MA instructors try to get their customers to think in the same was as they do themselves, this is probably something to do with all that Zen rubbish which many MA organisations involve themselves in. I would much rather think and analyse for myself rather than being told how and what to think/do.

You know the reason we go to martial arts instructors? because they know more than us, which is why we LET them tell us what to do. Nuff said

#308085 - 01/15/07 08:01 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: crablord]
Midnightcrawler Offline
Dragon

Crabby,

Yes you are right we do "let them tell us what to do" in that they instruct us in the physical techniques, but that does not mean that I will permit myself to be indoctrinated in their way of thinking. I once found myself in this situation and the instructor was adamant that we all had to think along her lines.

I was the first customer to tell her to mind her own business and to teach techniques as that was what we were paying for. If I wanted philosophy I'd pay a philosopher to teach me, if I wanted religion I'd go to a Priest, Rabbi, Mullah or whatever qualified person represented the religion I was interested in. Once I'd made my stand, she lost at least 50% of her customers. So don't for one moment conclude that I'm the only MA customer who feels this way.

A question for you please. What makes you think that you assume a sufficient level of importance in someone else's life that they would A) want to, and B)try to kill you?

MC.

Edited by Midnightcrawler (01/15/07 08:05 AM)

#308086 - 01/15/07 08:05 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: Midnightcrawler]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

When you take a karate class, you are not taking a boxing class, you are taking a karate class, that includes the physical and mental sides of karate. This includes their philosophies. Want the straight up fighting with no bs? pay for boxing. The bottom line is, that instructors are the ones who are going to know more than us, and from your posts, you could really use some of the mental aspects of martial arts.

#308087 - 01/15/07 08:14 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: crablord]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Quote:

A question for you please. What makes you think that you assume a sufficient level of importance in someone else's life that they would A) want to, and B)try to kill you?

..weird question. Ok first, most of the time its not someone you know, its randoms on the street. If it is, its (as suggested before) a boyfriend/girlfriend situation. And to the question, no I dont think anyone I know would want to kill me, though I have had my fair share of randoms trying to knock my head in. I posted a topic on one of these not long ago infact

#308088 - 01/15/07 09:49 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: Midnightcrawler]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
MNC,

fair enough, that is your right, and I respect that.

not to be rude, either, but that seems to be an extention of simply deciding that you wouldnt use violence under any circomstances, and not being willing to defend yourself -

anyway, lets hope that none of us ever need this in a real situation.

#308089 - 01/15/07 09:59 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: Midnightcrawler]
globetrotter Offline
does unto others before they do unto him

Loc: ny usa
Quote:

What makes you think that you assume a sufficient level of importance in someone else's life that they would A) want to, and B)try to kill you?

MC.

frankly, the only reason that I would use violence, at this point in my life, was if I thought somebody was willing to use sufficient violence to kill me or a member of my family.

I am suprised, espectially with the level of irational volence being used in the UK, that you ask this quesiton. just recently I read about a teen age boy who was killed on the train in the UK, by another teen, for no better reason than the killer thought the other boy was looking at his girlfriend. crazy things happen.

#308090 - 01/15/07 11:11 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: globetrotter]
Midnightcrawler Offline
Dragon

Hello Globetrotter,

Thanks for your post, you also come across as being a 'reasonable' chap, and I didn't think you were being rude.

Please don't misunderstand my stance. I would use violence in order to defend myself, but only as an absolute last resort and then only to defend myself not someone else, if someone else is taking a pounding its their problem I don't see any reason for me to risk getting damaged to save somebody else's arse or face. I'm not in the services or the police force, I don't get paid to fight on someone else's behalf and I'm not some thrill seeking adolescent. The term I believe is SELF defense!!

You see unlike some others, I do not subscribe to the notion that 'the attack starts way before a punch or kick is thrown'. It is impossible to read an other's mind, and that is precisely what some schools teach is possible to do. Rubbish. Until someone launches one at you, you (or I) do not KNOW. We might suspect but we don't KNOW. Supposition is not enough reason in my book to do physical harm to another. Yes I know some go on about 'body language' and all the other phsycobabble crap, watch for when the shoulder dips, skin colour, dilation of eyes ad nauseum. These are all excuses for pre-emption used by those who are enthused at the prospect of taking it to the physical level.

Regards.

MC.

#308091 - 01/15/07 11:21 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: Midnightcrawler]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Lets think of a situation, stormdragon is a young girl (not too hard to imagine) and mattj is her boyfriend.

Storm - I dont want to do _______ with you
mattj - Please?
storm - no, dont come near me, I already told you i dont want to.
*matt grabs/approaches storm anyway
*storm punches matt in the head.

Those are the two points id say you could strike another person in a rapeish type of case. Anytime before that and it would be hard to prove that it was in sd, but if its neccesary, then do it. I think the court would be able to tell that the 15 year old girl didnt hammer her 16 year old boyfriend for no reason.

Page 7 of 13 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga