FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 23 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35581 Topics
432508 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#308032 - 12/15/06 08:41 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: mark]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I think that a rule, 'no first strike' is probably most useful in that without it...it's simply too easy to justify personal aggression; one minute one is 'precluding' a possible violent attack on the street...the next instance could be popping your wife in the mouth for yelling about you being out too late.

#308033 - 12/15/06 09:17 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: harlan]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

one minute one is 'precluding' a possible violent attack on the street...the next instance could be popping your wife in the mouth for yelling about you being out too late.

I’m sorry but that isn’t even a logical progression. One is a violent attack and the other is an argument. Unless there is a history of violence of the wife on the husband there should be no need for a pre-emptive strike. Even if there is a history, one does not go straight to violence. Using Leo’s progression levels of self defense from a current thread:

1) Common sense
2) Avoidance
3) Awareness
4) Humour/light heartedness
5) Rapport creation
6) Verbal SD
7) Fence
8) Escape
9) Pre-emptive strike
10) Physical self-defense

I understand what you mean, but I don’t agree with no pre-emptive strikes.

#308034 - 12/15/06 09:20 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: JoelM]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Who said violence was (always) logical? You missed the operative word 'could' (situational). I'm sorry...but having known violent people in my life, while it may not seem logical to you, I'm alluding to the fact that certain temperaments will rationalize violence, trying to dance around 'when it's okay' to 'react' first.

Sorry folks...but hitting first is wrong. It may be reasonable...but is wrong and has it's consequences.

#308035 - 12/15/06 09:27 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: harlan]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

It may be reasonable...but is wrong and has it's consequences.

Not hitting first has it's consequences as well. Like not being able to hit second.

...another agree to disagree moment...

#308036 - 12/15/06 10:37 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: MattJ]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

Loc: Toowoomba, Qld, Australia
An attack doesn't start when the first strike is thrown, it starts many steps before that. If you have an honest believe that you are in danger, then you are legally and morally permitted to respond preemptively.

There are alternatives to the preemptive strategy, for sure there are are other ways, but it has been proven again and again that the person who hits first is the one more likely to eat at home.

We are talking self defence here not some dojo sparing session. I have over 20 years of TMA and RBSD behind me. I've been there and know the difference. It is not dishonest to pre-empt infact a preemptive strike often equates to a lower overall quantity of violence so you could say it is more honourable.

A lot of the the things ( advice etc) that I heard on the forum seem to be Martial arts related as opposed to self defence related.

Get in touch with reality guys, take a holistic view of a self defence situation, don't just concentrate on the techniques. for eg a head lock was introduce as a scenario in another thread, well how the hell did you get into that situation in the first place, I guarantee there was at least 3 occasions that you could have defended before the Headlock.

Sorry Guys I don't mean to come across as lecturing or talking down to you, and I love Traditional Martial Arts (TMA) I would not trad 2 decades of study of it for anyone. or anything ( except my wife , But thats obvious.. Hey I'm in love and proud of it )..... where was i ... oh yeah... but real life street attacks are not the same as in the Dojo it requires a different approach, mindset, you have fear involved at a plethora of other factors most of which are unpredictable. I am one of the pro TMA guys maybe I had been lucky my I found my TMA very helpful when on the door, but it was modified or stratified. Personally i find TMA and RBSD to compliment each other very well.
It's like men and women they go well to together but lets be honest they ARE different ( no offense intended to the gay dudes and dudetts, it's just not my thing)

Any way Someone's bound to get [censored] of at me for this but the only true constant in the universe is .....TRUTH. this is just what i've discovered to be true

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
www.ToowoombaSelfDefence.websyte.com.au
Bushi Dojos Self Protection
Toowoomba Self Defence

#308037 - 12/15/06 10:59 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: harlan]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

I think that a rule, 'no first strike' is probably most useful in that without it...it's simply too easy to justify personal aggression; one minute one is 'precluding' a possible violent attack on the street...the next instance could be popping your wife in the mouth for yelling about you being out too late.

i dont follow this thought process at all Harlan, sorry.
Accurately assessing a threat to your person and taking steps to prevent it, and attacking someone for disagreeing with you are completely different motivations.

I have pre-empted on many occasions, and dont have a problem with it. intrestingly enough, much of my pre-emption/ escalation has had to do with preventing or intervening to stop women being attacked by aggressive partners.

I sleep just fine.

#308038 - 12/15/06 11:06 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: Cord]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Yeah...I've been told that trying to follow my thought processes is like trying to jump on a carousel going full speed....you never know where you're going to land. Sorry...

Quote:

i dont follow this thought process at all Harlan,

#308039 - 12/15/06 12:09 PM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: harlan]
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
Harlan says:-

“...the next instance could be popping your wife in the mouth for yelling about you being out too late.”

Nothing wrong with an appropriate level of domestic discipline. Vital that she knows her place…

Cord,
Stopping a woman{person} being attacked, isn’t really a pre-emptive strike, violence is already in progress, giving the guy a blind side right hand to the jaw, is more like sniping, and a very joyous thing to do it is….

I think some people, have interpreted a pre-emptive strike to prevent the other person getting a shot at you first, into Smacking some poor innocent if they so much as look at you..

All the times I have been in “no mans land” at work with some [censored] twat squaring up to me, any second he is going to try to hit me, all my conflict resolution isn’t working, I can feel my bottle slipping….. the legs going, butterfly’s, voice cracks, heart racing……… the guys just gets that little too close , or shows me a tell tale, or does his 3 look target acquisition….. I KNOW HE IS ABOUT TO HIT ME…. So bang right hand to the side of the jaw….moving into catch/restrain him……

Maybe if he isn’t that big, a double hip punch to the solar. Not always going to put him down, but he is going to move back

Wow as I type I really miss working on the doors etc……. OMG!!! That’s very dumb

Mark

#308040 - 12/15/06 05:26 PM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: mark]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Wife beating is a definite no-no. Pre-emptive strikes are only for situations where imminent threat of serious violence is present and all other methods of self defense have failed. Ideally, no situation would get through so many layers of self defense but in reality it happens on rare occasions.

The fundamental principle is to be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a pre-emptive strike was self defense, both to a court and to yourself. This can only happen if there was no other way to resolve the situation.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (12/15/06 05:34 PM)

#308041 - 12/15/06 09:49 PM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: Gavin]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Quote:

Quote:

If they want ot attack me, they agree to accept the injuries they will sustain.

How do manage to get them to accept that? Do you force them to sign some sort of waiver or something? "I hereby agree to let you whup my butt and fully accept sole liability for any injuries sustained during said whupping!". What a cool idea... could you send me a copy of the waiver!

Oooh very funny Gavin!
I'm sayin if they attack me, they automatically accept the consequences, they jsut dont know what they are.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga