FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#308112 - 01/15/07 11:26 PM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: JKogas]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Im going for the preemptive strike everytime, and Im trying to crush the opponent with it.

#308113 - 01/16/07 12:11 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: Chen Zen]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

Loc: Toowoomba, Qld, Australia
Some definitions

Preemptive Strike = a physical strike made prior to a physical attack being made against the person. thus pre-empting the attack with one of your own.

Striking first, throwing the first punch etc = the act of being the first person to initiate a physical strike/attack. it can be preemptive or premeditated. it is simply the one who hit first, or attempted to hit first, regardless of motive.

I understand the stance being taken by Midnight Crawler and don't intend to try and change his mind, but I am curious what your feelings is on other preemptive actions besides a strike. for example What is you opinion on preemptively restraining someone with a lock /hold what ever as opposed to hitting them.

Legally holding someone could still be considered assault, even just touching them in some areas.

Another thing we should remind ourselves of is the fact that we are from different countries, and although in general western countries do have similar laws ( actually probably most countries) they are different even between states in the same country.

for eg up until a fairly recently, in NSW Aust one at to prove it was self defence wheres as in QLD one had to prove it wasn't. It has now changed in NSW.

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
www.ToowoombaSelfDefence.websyte.com.au
Bushi Dojos Self Protection
Toowoomba Self Defence

#308114 - 01/16/07 12:35 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: drgndrew]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
Innocent til proven guilty I think the best post on the thread was this.
Quote:

Here I am on this thread again after I'd already made my point...

As with anything, strategy and tactics depend completely on the situation at hand. To say you are either for or against preemptive striking is absurd!

To say that you would avoid violence when possible is more like it. That's the only sane thing to do. Drastic times call for drastic measures however if it that situation arises, do what you gotta do to go home - what EVER the hell that may be.

Its sort of ridiculous to come here and take a stand one way or the other because just as soon as you say you're against preemptive striking, life will make a liar out of you.

Me, I'm all about the love. That's avoidance. That's making friends of enemies, buying a person a beer, etc and SHOWING them I'm not afraid of 'em. But I do know when to beat feet and when the opportunity presents itself, I'll bolt and not look back. No ego problems here.

At the same time, if someone is in my way through the door, heaven help 'em. It's just a matter of doing what you have to do, no more, no less. Why make a case about it?

-John

Nuff said

#308115 - 01/16/07 05:52 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: drgndrew]
Midnightcrawler Offline
Dragon

Loc: England
Drew,

Sorry I omitted to include you when I posted my 'vote of thanks' item. Very bad form on my part, please accept my apologies.

MC.

#308116 - 01/16/07 08:19 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: Midnightcrawler]
drgndrew Offline
< a god, > a man.
Enthusiast

Loc: Toowoomba, Qld, Australia
Quote:

Drew,

Sorry I omitted to include you when I posted my 'vote of thanks' item. Very bad form on my part, please accept my apologies.

MC.

LOL thats cool dude I think I'll survive,

So what do you think of a lesser force option preempt such as restraining. just curious

With Honour in Bushido
Drew Guest
www.ToowoombaSelfDefence.websyte.com.au
Bushi Dojos Self Protection
Toowoomba Self Defence

#308117 - 01/16/07 09:51 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: drgndrew]
Midnightcrawler Offline
Dragon

Hi Drew,

Ummm? I'm not being pedantic (I hope) but how on earth can you restrain someone who hasn't launched any physical attack? This is a real question, to which I do not have an answer.

My opinion is that a restraining move would be far less likely to see you in court than a striking move, and if applied with skill would be less likely to do damage to the opponent. Yes I could live with that outcome, as I'm not appointing myself Judge, Jury and Executioner.

I still don't understand how a person who has yet to make a move could be restrained though, I mean what would you be restraining them from? Drew mate, would you care to explain?

Regards.

MC.

#308118 - 01/16/07 10:02 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: Midnightcrawler]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

You would be stopping them from hitting you. Thats how

#308119 - 01/16/07 10:27 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: crablord]
Midnightcrawler Offline
Dragon

Pillock. Try and get a grip. If they haven't made a move there's bugger all to restrain against.

I can see it on your school reports Crabby: Must Try Harder.

MC.

#308120 - 01/16/07 10:32 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: Midnightcrawler]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

dude..seriously your missing the point. You are stopping them from hitting you, it doesn't matter whether they've done it yet or not, it matters what they are about to do. If you are sure they are going to hit you, then do something about that, whether it be running, hitting them or grabbing them

#308121 - 01/16/07 10:48 AM Re: POLL - Pre-emptive strikes? [Re: crablord]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
I think this is valid. However, we need to ascertain how you can be sure that someone is going to hit you. If you can prove that they were going to beyond reasonable doubt in court, you're in a good position to claim self defense.

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga