FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#307037 - 12/10/06 07:14 PM save my knuckles
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
hey guys,

im home from school for christmas, time to spend some quality time with the family, girlfriend, and the long lost heavy bag!

i've been off the heavy bag now for about 3 months, and thank god my prior conditioning has held up!, i just finished 45 min or so on the bag bare knuckle and im fine, no rips or anything, bt the usual soreness.

after a bout on the bag i usually soak my hands in warm water for a little while, just a personal preference, i find it helps a little. but i was woundering what alternatives there are to not using a dit da jow (sp?) ive never used it, and maybe never will. so anything that yuo fellows might use for an after treatment would help.

just to make it clear, i don't have any current damage, im 20 years so my joints are still and fresh for another few years, and im just looking for something to take the shakes out of my hands after a good bag work.

thanks

yours in life

#307038 - 12/10/06 07:37 PM Re: save my knuckles [Re: student_of_life]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Get some hand wraps if you don't like using gloves, I highly recommend not going barefisted on a heavy bag. There's no point in tearing up your knuckles like that. Wraps mimic barefisted training well enough to be useful for that kind of training (they do give your hands a bit more structure too). You can't condition your skin so why take the risk of damaging it for no reason?

I personally wear bag gloves and have a rule that no gloves = no bagwork.

I'd say if you've cut up your hands (I know you haven't now but if you do end up doing that) make sure you apply basic first aid, wash them off and apply antiseptic and bandage them if necessary. Hands are very important to martial artists, I'm surprised that so many people neglect their care.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (12/10/06 07:41 PM)

#307039 - 12/10/06 08:53 PM Re: save my knuckles [Re: student_of_life]
kyokushinkai Offline

Loc: Prince Edward Island , Canada
I really suggest the use of gloves + wraps. Or atleast wraps. The last time I hit the bag without gloves/wraps was because I was extremely frustrated for personal reasons, and needed to vent.

In the end there My knuckles were gushing, there was blood all over the place and I ended up cracking the bones on the outer edge of my hand ( the one that is nearest to the striking surface of a knife hand ).

It didn't hurt that day, but after my frustration subsided I tried to hit the bag ( not knowing about the fractures ) anyway I nearly through up after a right cross and had to go to the hospital. I couldn't hit the bag for around 2 months, and got some funny looks at school because of the scabs on my hands.

anyway sorry about the rabble, even though it may not be a bad as the above you could end up breaking a small bone in your hand because you didn't feel like putting on wraps. That could put you off the bad for awhile.

#307040 - 12/10/06 09:13 PM Re: save my knuckles [Re: student_of_life]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I generally do not use bag gloves or wraps when doing bag work. I will use them if I get cuts or bruises on my knuckles though. I don't use anything after a work out.

If you are going for 45 minutes on the bag, probably not a bad idea to use gloves. I typically do not do more than 10-20 minutes of bag work at a time.

#307041 - 12/10/06 10:49 PM Re: save my knuckles [Re: MattJ]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

thanks guys,

to tell the trth, part of the reason i go bare handed on a bag is cause i can tell from the bruseing on the knuckles weather or not im hitting right. another reason is cause i don't know how to wrap my hands correctly, i have a pair of wraps and used them a few times, but cause i didn't wrap right they started to drift and loosen, so i ditched them.

i know alot of people would advise the use of wraps and such, but does anyone have anything to say about the conditioning value of bare handed bad work?? i know it dosen't stack up to a mak, but will it do the job while im makeing a new one??

by the way, do anyone elses hands shake after a hard bag work out?? i might need to see a doctor...

yours in life

#307042 - 12/11/06 02:08 AM Re: save my knuckles [Re: student_of_life]
Isshinryukid4life Offline
Professional Injury causer

Loc: Knoxville.
I Have not used wraps or gloves for sometime now,however if you want to prevent injury you might try retractingl/snapping your punches.

#307043 - 12/11/06 05:33 AM Re: save my knuckles [Re: Isshinryukid4life]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
did my comment get deleted or something?? anyway why the hell would you snap punch a bag? bags are for laying into

#307044 - 12/11/06 05:50 AM Re: save my knuckles [Re: crablord]
Eveal Offline
the freshmaker

I started out not useing bag gloves and found out quick it was a bad idea. If you punch a MT bag or a true boxers bag, then you will see why you need gloves. They are stiff as hell. I rolled my wrist and busted my knuckles too many times at the begining of my bag training. Gloves/wraps let me hit as hard as I can as much as I want with a lowered risk of injury.

I look back when I started in MA at 12 years old that I should have wrapped every major joints I have cause at 25 now the wear and tear is starting to show. Even though you don't feel any damage right now the internal wear and tear is still there and will hit you like a truck. So please take the advice and save your wrist and knuckles and wear wraps.

Brandon

#307045 - 12/11/06 09:12 AM Re: save my knuckles [Re: Eveal]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

thanks for teh advice, i do appreciate all your expirence and the answes you all gave,

but...

my frame of mind is, i won't have wraps or gloves in a real atreet fight or self defence situation, so wouldn't it be a good thing to train with them off so that i can deleiver power shots without bending my wrist or breaking my hand?

don't get me wrong, ive bent my wrist a few times too, i blamed it on my technique, i mean when i first started out, in my session i might throw hundreds of punches and maybe 1 or 2 wrist bending happening. now, well last night nothing, i was fine. so.....maybe im doing something right? or have my hands just toughned up enough for this spefic level of contact, and will they give out on me in later years due to heavy bag work??

and for the snaping/pulling your punches thing on a heavy bag, why not just shadow box/kata?

yours in life

#307046 - 12/11/06 09:32 AM Re: save my knuckles [Re: student_of_life]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
For speed training, Crablord. Shadow boxing is fine for this too, however you cant generate as much speed because if you do you run a serious risk of joint damage since theres nothing but air.

As for conditioning the knuckles, it can be done. However its a highly painful experience and not recommended if you ever intend to work with your hands and assuming you dont want arthritis by thirty. I have an uncle who was a karateka. Everyday for years he would go into an old shed and punch the cinderblock walls until they would crack or break out. I once saw him rip out a doorfram from punching it. I believe he could honestly punch anything he wanted as hard as he could. However, the years of doing things like that have left his knuckles completely flat. He used to be a mechanic. Now he stands to the side and shows people where to turn a wrench because he cant anymore, at least for long periods. He's 44.

As for wraps, I dont use them much. I'll use the heavy gloves for stamina purposes, then once gassed, drop to open hands and push until I cant anymore. I spend alot of time on my bag. A couple hours a day.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga