FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 61 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#306939 - 12/20/06 09:24 PM Re: Gojushiho Dai (Sho) ;) [Re: sepai]
Unsu Offline

Loc: San Antone, Tejas
Quote:

Unsu,
Out of my whole 20 years of research I have never came across that Itosu ever made or had two gojushiho katas. He did have two in bassai and kusanku. The only other styles I know of that ever practise these two katas are the shotokan style and maybe some off shoot styles. Some people don't relize that the shotokan katas were all modified and some techniques changed. They did this for tournament purposes, to look appealing.All the shorin ryu styles I have ever heard about there is only one gojushiho kata. The JKA shotokan peolple created the other kata, in this case the sho, from the main one and gave them the names dai and sho just to differentiate from the two. Now you said that shorinkan has two? From what organization is that from? The only shorinkan I know of is the koboyashi shorin ryu shorinkan under Nakazato Sensei. They only practise one version of the gojushiho. Unless there has been an instructer that has added it to his school from the shotokan style, that does happen.I am not saying your wrong, Iam just telling you what I have learned from my experiences so far. Maybe you have info that I don't know, who knows, hehehehhe. I studied shotokan for 20 years and now study shito ryu for the past 10 years. Kenwa Mabuni learned all the katas from Itosu. There is only one gojushiho kata in shito ryu. Mabuni never deleted or changed anything to my knowledge. I hope this helps.

It was Shorin Ryu Shorinkan Okinawan Karate-Do/ Nakazato Sensei. Not Yamashiota's org, Miyahira's or Shinjinbukan.

You're right. Shorinkan and the other Shuri Te influenced Ryuha only have one Gojushiho. I got it twisted with Passai/Patsai Dai and Sho.

The formulation of the Dai and Sho forms was probably a JKA thing. I was told the reasoning for this and the Itosu story by a BB who trained in Shorin Ryu with me but who use to be a BB in the JKA (Shotokan). He must have been talking out the back of his neck.

My bad. Concentrate on the Dai version, since it's probably closest to the original Shuri Te form. Later and Happy Holidays!!!

#306940 - 12/28/06 02:21 PM Re: Gojushiho Dai (Sho) ;) [Re: Unsu]
roninofGa Offline

just throwing in my two cents. I originally was taught sho and Dai versions of this kata. As we all know Itosu changed or "tweaked" almost all of his kata at sometime or another.
I always just assumed that it was he who took Useishi and split it up into Sho and Dai.I found it interesting that most fingers point to Shotokan for the addition of Dai (or Sho). Funakoshi in his book Tote Jutsu written in 1925 refers to just a single kata of Gojushiho. So with Shito-ryu and others only doing one and with that from Funakoshi, the second one came after 1925.

#306941 - 12/31/06 03:18 AM Re: Gojushiho Dai (Sho) ;) [Re: roninofGa]
sepai Offline

Loc: Ca, USA
Ronin,
The best I can explain this is that the JKA changed a lot of their kata's. They changed niseishi and then called it nijushiho. They did the same with unsu and sochin and others. The reason for this I can guess is that they (the Japanese) wanted it to be separated as far as they could from Okinawan karate because the Japanese looked down on them. So they changed around all the moves and names. They did this around the late 40's and early to mid 50's. Some of the kata's that were added were sochin by Gigo Funakoshi, Unsu, nijushiho, gojushiho, were added by Nakayama when Gichin Funakoshi sent him and sometimes Isao Obata to learn kata's from Kenwa Mabuni. They brought these kata back and changed them or shotokanized them. I think Funakoshi talks about this in his book called Nyumon. The rest of this information I got from Sensei Nishiyama. As well as interviews done with Nakayama Sensei, who stated this. However, those kata were never officailly a part of the shotokan style. They were just experimental kata or extra kata. Funakoshi mentions this in his book and states that students should just spend more time on the 15 kata that Funakoshi learned and brought to the system.This is why the SKA under Oshima Sensei only practise those 15. I hope this helps.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga